• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

If you have one practical tip you can share

• Members

Aside from spiritual advice, counsel, etc such as "have faith", etc... what is one practical tip you would like to share with those that are new to door-to-door evangelism? 

I'll compile the list here as well if I am able to edit, I'll start:

1. Know your community's culture. Example: Words such as "omnipresence" may be understood in one community but not in other communities. 
  2. Pay attention to people's verbal/non-verbal cues. If they don't want to talk, and are just being polite, give them an out and try to leave something for them to read.
  3. As you're able...as the respondent permits...and as time permits...give them the actual gospel. Don't side-step the gospel for a popular modern-day derivative or anything less. They need to know and understand that the Lord Jesus Christ died for their sins according to the scriptures (and what that entails). They need to know and understand that he was buried (and what that entails), They need to know and understand that he rose from from the dead on the third day according to the scriptures (and what that entails). 1 Corinthian 15
  4. Be persistent and not be discouraged.
  5. Complete the process. Too often we go "soul-winning" and then we leave these new converts on their own.  When you do see fruit, be sure to follow up with discipleship.  If you don't teach them somebody else will, and most likely they won't teach them the truth.
  6. Find what is effective in your area and do it.
  7. Be wise. There are some houses you should never leave the front porch and enter into, even if invited. Never step into a trap and risk ruining your testimony and that of the Lord. People will gleefully look for an opportunity to destroy a reputation, even if nothing wrong occurs. If a person can't think of any on their own, they probably should consider serving in another capacity. Be wise and over-protective of any ladies out visiting as well.
  8. Be appropriate - in your dress and in your words; not just the words you use to present the gospel, but in the words you use to introduce yourself and any "small talk." No slang usages of God's name (that's a real biggie in this area - even the Christians use it like crazy...drives me crazy!), don't try to be "cool" or "with-it".
  9. Realize that you are not door knocking to "get results" but that you are going in order to give the person an opportunity to hear the Gospel in obedience to the Great Commission. Plant and water whatever ground you find and in due time God will give the increase and build His church.
Edited by BaptistJonStewart
Thanks!

• Members

3. As you're able...as the respondent permits...and as time permits...give them the actual gospel. Don't side-step the gospel for a popular modern-day derivative or anything less. They need to know and understand that the Lord Jesus Christ died for their sins according to the scriptures (and what that entails). They need to know and understand that he was buried (and what that entails), They need to know and understand that he rose from from the dead on the third day according to the scriptures (and what that entails). 1 Corinthian 15

Don't give them a quick ABC (A - admit that you're a sinner, B - believe that Jesus is the Christ, and C - confess your sins)...that's not the gospel. Give them the actual-biblical gospel, allow the Holy Spirit to work in their heart and life, and leave the results to him after you've done what you can do.

Don't seek numbers or personal acknowledgement for how great of a soul-winner you are...work on one individual...work on one person. It's not a race to see who's the greatest soulwinner. It's not a race to see who can have the most numbers. It's about keeping a living, breathing, lost soul out of hell when they die. They are a person...a soul...someone for whom Christ died. They're not a number.

Luke 15:7  I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

• Members
4 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

3. As you're able...as the respondent permits...and as time permits...give them the actual gospel. Don't side-step the gospel for a popular modern-day derivative or anything less. They need to know and understand that the Lord Jesus Christ died for their sins according to the scriptures (and what that entails). They need to know and understand that he was buried (and what that entails), They need to know and understand that he rose from from the dead on the third day according to the scriptures (and what that entails). 1 Corinthian 15

Don't give them a quick ABC (A - admit that you're a sinner, B - believe that Jesus is the Christ, and C - confess your sins)...that's not the gospel. Give them the actual-biblical gospel, allow the Holy Spirit to work in their heart and life, and leave the results to him after you've done what you can do.

Don't seek numbers or personal acknowledgement for how great of a soul-winner you are...work on one individual...work on one person. It's not a race to see who's the greatest soulwinner. It's not a race to see who can have the most numbers. It's about keeping a living, breathing, lost soul out of hell when they die. They are a person...a soul...someone for whom Christ died. They're not a number.

Luke 15:7  I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Someone once said to Spurgeon on seeing a drunk totter out of a bar, "Look, that's one of your converts!"  Spurgeeon said "I can see that, he is not one of the Lord's."

Edited by Invicta

• Members

It's been said that door-to-door evangelism is the least effective method.  I tend to agree.  BUT, that doesn't mean it's ineffective.  The absolute least effective method is doing nothing at all!  We've not seen a lot of success in our door-to-door efforts, but we have seen some success.  We even had one family come visit after a full year of monthly visits to witness to them and leave tracts at their home.  So, it can work. 

As for advice, I'd say be sure to complete the process.  Too often we go "soul-winning" and then we leave these new converts on their own.  When you do see fruit, be sure to follow up with discipleship.  If you don't teach them somebody else will, and most likely they won't teach them the truth.

• Members

I saw fruit from a recent door-to-door, it can work if the motive is correct.

I came across Torrey's HOW TO BRING MEN TO CHRIST, just the other day. Not at all a 1-2-3 repeat after me process. Its about the individual's preparation for going and he points to 5 important areas. I skimmed it and it piqued my interest enough that after the book I'm reading I want to read it. All I have at present is an online copy but, it appears as a short read, 13 chapters and 104 pages.

To echo your point, from Torrey, "When you have led any one to Christ, follow him up and help him in the development of his Christian life." Written in 1893, the truth never grows stale however stale we (I) may become.

• Members
24 minutes ago, RGVBaptist said:

It's been said that door-to-door evangelism is the least effective method.  I tend to agree.  BUT, that doesn't mean it's ineffective.  The absolute least effective method is doing nothing at all!  We've not seen a lot of success in our door-to-door efforts, but we have seen some success.  We even had one family come visit after a full year of monthly visits to witness to them and leave tracts at their home.  So, it can work. 

As for advice, I'd say be sure to complete the process.  Too often we go "soul-winning" and then we leave these new converts on their own.  When you do see fruit, be sure to follow up with discipleship.  If you don't teach them somebody else will, and most likely they won't teach them the truth.

I wouldn't say it the least effective method outright, but it does bring up a point that is often disregarded.

It is very nearly a waste of time where I am. 

We had an American Pastor who was a huge proponent of doorknocking visit with us, and by the time he left he was saying it was a waste of time.

Where he was, they would knock about 20 doors in a morning because everyone would talk. Around here one in a hundred will open the door, and it is normally closed again inside a minute.

We put invitations in letterboxes instead (it is legal where I am), and if soneone is in their yard we talk to them and give them one personally.

Way better use of time, and better results too.

BUT it depends where you are. As far as I know, that pastor went back and continued door to door. It works great in his area.

But it was partly talking to him that changed us to "letterboxing". Find what is effective in your area and do it.

• Members

Be wise. There are some houses you should never leave the front porch and enter into, even if invited. Never step into a trap and risk ruining your testimony and that of the Lord. People will gleefully look for an opportunity to destroy a reputation, even if nothing wrong occurs. I will not give examples. If a person can't think of any on their own, they probably should consider serving in another capacity.

In the same vein, be wise and over-protective of any ladies out visiting as well. We don't live in Kansas any more, Toto.

• Administrators

Be appropriate - in your dress and in your words; not just the words you use to present the gospel, but in the words you use to introduce yourself and any "small talk." No slang usages of God's name (that's a real biggie in this area - even the Christians use it like crazy...drives me crazy!), don't try to be "cool" or "with-it".

• Members

Always find something to compliment those you are speaking to.

Always leave the door open for a return visit.

Look for opportunities to use your personal testimony of salvation and use that as a stepping stone to talk to the person (s) about salvation.  I do a jail ministry weekly and can tell you I have used my personal testimony to open the door to present the gospel at least a hundred times.  People want to identify with your message of hope and when you share what Christ did in your life they get a picture of real hope.  

• Members

Do not forget about people that you have visited.  If someone makes a profession of faith follow up with them for discipleship.  I have come back to people and brought them a Bible and had their name but on the front along with some of literature about basic doctrine.  Encourage them to come to church.  Pray for them. If they show no interest when you come back or reject you then don't push the issue or get upset with them, pray for them and make sure they have your churches info if things change.