• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

An Eternity At Dire Risk

• Members

My heart is so very heavy with burden, but I'm thankful that I don't have to bear it alone.  I'm so glad that I can cast all to the Lord, and that there are others joining me in prayer.

For several years now, I've been the assistant to a local museum's curator.  Not long after I started volunteering there, I shared the Gospel with her.  Seemingly, nothing came from that...but thru-out the years I've been trying to say a little here and a little there, and to always live my faith.  Every time I would head to work, I would lift her up in prayer.  Now...it has turned into a very dire situation.  In March she was diagnosed with lung cancer.  She'd already had a 4-way bypass, and she has 7 "old fractures" in her back.  Not long after she was diagnosed with the cancer, she contracted pneumonia.  She'd had one chemotherapy treatment, but was then immediately whisked into the hospital because of the pneumonia.  Hospice is now being discussed.  I've been "storming" Heaven that the Lord would let her live long enough to be saved.  It rather slays me.  A Christless eternity.  Please join me in praying for Dorothy.  She is in a hospital about 80 miles away, and I just can't get down there to visit her as I'd like to, plus having been her assistant....now much responsibility has fallen on me at the museum.  I beg of you to please pray for her very soul; her eternal salvation.

Edited by WellWithMySoul

• Members

Thank you so very, very much for praying for Dorothy and for me too, NN and Alan!  It is a comfort to know that the Lord is being sought to sustain Dorothy's earthly life that she might be saved!  She is finally starting to eat after almost two weeks in the hospital, and because she is showing some improvement it is hoped that they will be able to move her to the hospital here!  By the way, the one thing she used as her "excuse" to hinder her salvation was that she had an uncle who was a Baptist preacher, but was an "hypocrite".  Sigh... Today, another saved gal that loves the Lord is going to go down to visit Dorothy, and she has also requested prayer that she might be able to speak about spiritual things with her.  Thank you again for praying!

• Members

I have prayed that the Lord will give you strength, boldness and determination to go beyond suggestions and present to this person God's glorious offer of salvation.  These are the moments hope burns brightest for both the hearer and the presenter.  May God hear our prayers and comfort you during this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thank you to all who have prayed for Dorothy!  Orval, I also appreciate the encouragement to be more bold to present the Gospel again to her!  Time truly is of essence, and there just isn't time to build anymore of a "rapport" with Dorothy.  She was moved to the hospital up here thankfully, and so I went to visit her a few times...as did the other saved gal.  It was interesting to experience the "closed doors" of time that the other gal and I had with Dorothy.  However, the last time that I went to visit her...I went softly right thru the "door" and told Dorothy that I would love to share my faith with her!!  She was very positive about that, though I'm not sure that she truly understood what I meant.  She replied that I should "Go ahead, I'm faithful!"  I also told her that the other gal shared the same faith as I did.  I wasn't able to say anymore with Dorothy that day, but I certainly called the other gal and told her, "The door is OPEN!"   Since then, Dorothy has been moved back home again, and I presume that she will be starting on the Hospice care.  Please keep praying...  I appreciate it very much, and YOUR prayers could be helping to make the difference in where Dorothy spends eternity!!

Edited by WellWithMySoul

• Members

Dorothy is home now, but is on Hospice.  I talked to her on the phone today, and at times she had a little confusion, and she slurred her words a bit.  She is on some heavy duty pain medications, which would explain some of that.  My heart is heavy, except that I have great hope for Thursday.  Thursday -  the other gal, Debbie, will be going to sit with Dorothy for a couple of hours while Dorothy's husband goes to an appointment.  We are both feeling the urgency to speak boldly now.  For those who feel so led, please pray especially for Debbie this Thursday afternoon between about 1:00-3:00 PM PST.  Please pray that the way would be paved without interruptions, that Dorothy and her husband would be receptive to the Gospel, and that Debbie would have all utterance to speak boldly.  It's especially difficult for Debbie because her own mom passed away about 3 yrs. ago from lung cancer.  I told her that I would be praying that she would be led so clearly by the Lord to be focused on Dorothy's need for salvation, that her own grief would not deter her.  I am praying for her to have strength, and also peace as she tries to reach dear Dorothy.  There is so much power in prayer...and though we cannot be gathered together...we can still be praying in His name, and our Lord will hear us.  Thank you for joining me in prayer, and for your compassion.

• Members

My dinner is ready, but I'm just so thrilled...that I had to come online first to let all know that this afternoon....the Lord was indeed with Debbie!!!!  She called to let me know that the Lord gave her a tremendous boldness and strength and she didn't mince words with Dorothy about salvation!  Dorothy had, had some pain med and so was a bit out of it, but it was made plain to her that there is only one way to Heaven...and that's thru the Lord Jesus Christ!  She said that she believes that Jesus died on the cross for her sins, but then she would ramble off to something else.  However, EVERY single time....Dorothy herself would return to the subject of God and Jesus.  Debbie doesn't know how much actually pierced thru to Dorothy's heart, but we both know Heb. 4:12....and that the Word "speaks for itself"; it stands alone, and needs no help from us (and morphine can't even deter the power of God's Word).  I'm just so amazed at how the Lord answered all of the prayers....YOUR prayers....that Debbie would have that boldness.  Dorothy cried a few times, so we know that perhaps combined with the Gospel that I had shared with her some time ago, coupled with Debbie's bold conversation today...that the Lord is working!!  Praise God from Whom ALL blessings flow!  Please keep praying, dear OLB people, that both Dorothy and her husband would truly realize their need for the Saviour.  O how exciting it is to see the Spirit working!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Update:  this morning my husband and I went out to Billy and Dorothy's house.  An Hospice fellow and friend of ours, my husband, and Billy were going to fall a huge oak tree on their property.  Hospice as well as the rest of us have been quite concerned about Billy, and so falling this tree was a way of distraction and a break for Billy to get out of the house for awhile.  I sat with Dorothy.  The cancer is rapidly ravaging her body.  I sat there next to her for about an hour and a half.  She talked with me just for about 5 minutes, and then she fell asleep.  My heart is breaking for her.  I watched her labored breathing.  I looked at her face.  She looks so frail.  Indeed, she is.  I felt so helpless and powerless for I couldn't even speak to her of my Saviour, but I prayed.  I prayed and prayed.  Tears hovered.  O how the Lord Jesus does not want Dorothy to perish.  He loves her so.  Even though she is not totally aware, she is scared.  This is a grief that is so heartbreakingly powerful; so unlike that of grieving for a loved one that is Heavenbound.  Dorothy had sent me a card before she was hospitalized the first time, and she had signed it...."Forever Friends".  Tears.  I cannot see her heart, but from the outside...there is no evidence that she has seen her need for the Saviour.  I so much pray even if by "the skin of her teeth or as by fire", that she would be saved...so that indeed, we could be "forever friends".  Hospice "guesstimates" that Dorothy will pass on within the next couple of weeks.