• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How to Understand Revelation and Daniel

• Members
12 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

1.  The Lord Jesus Christ was pointing to the temple in Jerusalem that was then standing in His very day.

2.  Those who will be persecuted and beaten in Jewish synagogues and before various government officials are New Testament church age preachers of the gospel.

3.  Rome most certainly and literally DID surround Jerusalem and DID bring desolation to Jerusalem in 70 AD, literally destroying the temple in Jerusalem so that there literally was not one stone left standing upon another.  However, in 70 AD the abomination of desolation did not stand in the temple of Jerusalem.  THAT will occur when the antichrist sets himself up within the (rebuilt) temple, professing himself to be Messiah and God.

4.  The word "this" is a demonstrative pronoun that grammatical points to something or someone present in the context.  

So, now some questions in return:

1.  Are the children of Israel still falling by the edge of the sword?

2.  Were the children of Israel lead away captive into all nations, and are they still scattered among those nations?

3.  Is Jerusalem still being trodden down of the Gentiles?

4.  Has the times (plural) of the Gentiles already been fulfilled, or are we still in the midst of the times (plural) of the Gentiles?  (Note: To answer this question you might want to consider Romans 11:25-27.)

5.  Are all of these things to be taken literally or idiomatically?

You are mostly right about those events, which Jesus spoke of, happening in 70 AD.  But, in fact desolation did come in 70 AD, and wouldn't you think that something causing that would be an abomination?

Your definition of "this" comes up a little short. 

1 (used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, etc., as present, near, just mentioned or pointed out, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis): This is my coat.
2 (used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., referring to the one nearer in place, time, or thought; opposed to that?
This is Liza and that is Amy.

If Jesus meant a generation other than his, one far off, he would have said "that generation".  Also, since Jesus doesn't mention any generation in context, the only generation he could be referring to is his generation.  You wouldn't say "this house needs cleaning" when you mean another house that you haven't mentioned (even then, you'd be using bad grammar to say "this house" when you mean another).

Don't you think it complicates your "that generation" argument when you concede the the Temple Jesus spoke of being destroyed was destroyed in Christ's generation and that Christ's followers were beaten in Jewish synagogues in Christ's generation, and that Jerusalem was surrounded by armies in 70 AD.  That Temple can't be destroyed again.  It's hard to imagine Christians today being beaten in jewish synagogues (in significant numbers), but at least you can imagine Jerusalem being surrounded again.  In fact, desolation was caused in 70 AD.  All you're quibbling about is what constitutes an abomination, apparent not the Roman army that caused the desolation, nor Roman general who claimed divinity who stood in the Temple, immediately before its destruction.

1) The 7-year Jewish-Roman wars ended in 73 AD with the fall of Masada.  There were some battles early after that when Jews tried to restore Judea.  But, it's been a very, very long time that Jews in significant numbers have fallen to swords.  And, I don't expect any future wars to be fought with swords.  So-called Jews are not children of Israel, but regardless, they're not falling by the edge of the sword.

2) Yes, in 70 AD, those Jews who weren't killed were scattered, just as Jesus predicted, along with the Temple being destroyed.  His generation.

3) No Jerusalem is still not being trodden down by the gentiles.   People you believe aren't gentiles control Jerusalem.  But, Jesus was referring to Roman war on Jerusalem (the topic of the chapter).  "Trodden down" is from a word that is only used in the Bible in the context of violence or crushing.  Jerusalem hasn't been trodden down much since the first century. 

4) The times of the gentiles being fulfilled doesn't mean an end to gentiles, but the fulfillment of the times of the gentiles is when the fullness of the gentiles has come into Israel (the church), and the Old Covenant is no more.  This happened with the Temple's destruction.

5) The only thing I take idiomatically is the one paragraph with Jesus coming in the clouds and stars falling, both clouds and stars are used symbolically in the OT. And, the context here implies they're idioms (e.g. what resulted form the stars falling), even if the reader didn't know clouds and stars were established idioms in the OT.  I take everything else literally.  Dispensationalists only pretend to take the chapter literally.    

• Members
3 hours ago, Brother D said:

You are mostly right about those events, which Jesus spoke of, happening in 70 AD.  But, in fact desolation did come in 70 AD, and wouldn't you think that something causing that would be an abomination?

However, "the abomination of desolation" about which our Lord Jesus Christ prophesied in Matthew 24:15 & Mark 13:14, our Lord HIMSELF described as "the abomination of desolation, SPOKEN OF BY DANIEL THE PROPHET," which will "stand in the holy place."  Therefore, we MUST consider that information which is revealed in Daniel the prophet concerning this "abomination of desolation" in order to understand it aright.  Furthermore, it MUST be something or someone that stands "IN THE HOLY PLACE" of the temple, a place "where it ought not."  As such, the desolation of Jerusalem, which is the desolation of a city, is NOT equivalent to "the abomination of desolation."  Could "the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet," have stood "in the holy place" at or around the same time as the desolation of Jerusalem?  It could have; however, the two descriptives themselves are not equivalent descriptives.  In order to discern if "the abomination of desolation" event occurred at that same time, we must understand better what it is, as per Daniel's prophecy; and then we must discern if such an event literally occurred at or around 70 AD.

3 hours ago, Brother D said:

Your definition of "this" comes up a little short. 

1 (used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, etc., as present, near, just mentioned or pointed out, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis): This is my coat.
2 (used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., referring to the one nearer in place, time, or thought; opposed to that?
This is Liza and that is Amy.

No sir, my definition for the demonstrative pronoun "this" was precisely accurate.  And by definition, there are TWO possibilities of meaning for its usage by our Lord Jesus Christ in the verses under question.  In fact, those TWO possibilities are even revealed by the definition that you gave above.  Let us consider:

1.  Used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, ects, (POSSIBILITY #1) as present, near (POSSIBILITY #2) just mentioned or pointed out, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis.
2.  Used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., referring to the one nearer in place, time, or thought; opposed to that.

First, let us understand that the secondary definition above actually is NOT applicable because it requires an indication and comparison between ONE OF TWO OR MORE.  Our Lord Jesus Christ did NOT mention or compare two or more different generations; therefore, this usage for the demonstrative pronoun "this" is not the one for the context under question.

Second, in the statement of our Lord Jesus Christ, He used the demonstrative pronoun "this" as an adjective to modify the noun "generation."  By definition the noun "generation" indicates a group of people at a certain period of time.  The TWO possibilities for our Lord's usage thereof are (1) as a reference unto the group of people in His audience at that present time UNTO whom He was speaking, or (2) as a reference unto the group of people that He just mentioned who would SEE the event of "the abomination of desolation" and who would SEE the "signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars," ABOUT whom He was speaking.  In the first possibility, He was indicating "this generation," you, the very group who are standing and hearing right now.  In the second possibility, He was indicating "this generation," the very group about which I have just been speaking that will actually see these events unfold.

So which possibility is the correct one in this context?  Actually, the answer to that question requires a correct understanding concerning "the abomination of desolation," since the event of "the abomination of desolation" is that which will START a whole series of events that directly lead unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ "in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory" and unto the gathering together of HIs elect "from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven."

• Members

Well, I am now at somewhat of an advantage, since Brother D has been kicked out of the forum and can no longer respond with any counter arguments.  Nevertheless, for the sake of the audience, I do believe that some matters should be brought to a form of conclusion.  Even so, I shall yet post a few additional postings to this thread.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:41 AM, Brother D said:

Don't you think it complicates your "that generation" argument . . .

I did NOT make a "that generation" argument.  Rather, as per my posting above, I made a "THIS generation" argument.  I just made certain that we recognized ALL of the possibilities for the grammatical usage of the demonstrative pronoun "this," rather than just the one which supports my personal agenda.

Don't you think it complicates your "that generation" argument when you concede the the Temple Jesus spoke of being destroyed was destroyed in Christ's generation and that Christ's followers were beaten in Jewish synagogues in Christ's generation, and that Jerusalem was surrounded by armies in 70 AD.  That Temple can't be destroyed again.  It's hard to imagine Christians today being beaten in jewish synagogues (in significant numbers), but at least you can imagine Jerusalem being surrounded again. 

No, I do not think that there is any complication at all, because I understand that our Lord's prophecy revealed the judgment against Jerusalem in 70 AD, as well as a judgment against the whole world sometime in the future.  Now, for the details on this matter, I shall be presenting another posting that provides the time-line of events as prophesied by our Lord in Matthew 24-25, Mark 13, and Luke 21.

Indeed, that temple which was destroyed in 70 AD cannot be destroyed again.  Thus I believe that a third temple shall be built.

First, it is not hard to imagine Christians being beaten in Jewish synagogues today.  Second, the requirement of "significant numbers" is NOT provided in these passages of Scripture.  Third, Matthew 24:9 simply presents this as follows -- "Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake."  Not at all hard to image that Christians will be afflicted and killed even today, nor that they shall be hated of all nations for Christ's name's sake.  Mark 13:9 presents this as a three-fold matter -- "But take heed to yourselves: [1] for they shall deliver you up to counsils; AND [2] in synagogues ye shall be beaten: AND [3] ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them."  As long as any part of this is still occurring, this prophesy can still be considered to be in effect.  So then, even if I were to concede that it is hard to image Christians being beaten in Jewish synagogues, it is not at all hard to image Christians being brought before counsels, rulers, and kings in persecution for Christ's name's sake.  In like manner, Luke 21:12 also presents this as a three-fold matter of persecution -- "But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, [1] delivering you up to the synagogues, AND [2] into prisons, [3] being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake."  No sir, not at all hard to image Christians being persecuted and imprisoned by various kings and rulers today.

In fact, desolation was caused in 70 AD.  All you're quibbling about is what constitutes an abomination, apparent not the Roman army that caused the desolation, nor Roman general who claimed divinity who stood in the Temple, immediately before its destruction.

Grammatical and contextual precision in Bible study is NOT "quibbling."  Rather, it is the very manner for "rightly dividing" God's Holy Word of Truth.  The desolation of Jerusalem did indeed occur in 70 AD, just as our Lord Jesus Christ prophesied in Luke 21:20; and the oppression of Jerusalem and the children of Israel by the Gentiles continues unto this day, just as our Lord Jesus Christ prophesied in Luke 21:24.  (By the way, the phrase "times [plural] of the Gentiles indicates an extended series of generational (or larger) time periods.  Even so, this very phrase itself indicates contextually that our Lord Jesus Christ was not speaking about the generation standing before Him through the phrase "this generation" in Luke 21:32.)  Furthermore, I am not seeking simply to define "what constitutes an abomination."  Rather, I am seeking to define what constitutes "the abomination of desolation spoken of by Daniel the prophet."  That is a more specific abomination than just any abomination, as per our Lord Jesus Christ's own declaration.  (By the way, the fact that Brother D did not even make reference unto Daniel's prophecies concerning the abomination of desolation reveals something about the type of Bible student that he was -- or was not.)  Finally, I am not aware of ANY historical source which indicates that Titus stood in the temple claiming to be God, just before the destruction of the temple.  If Brother D were still here, I would request his historical source for this claim.  If he had provided one or more, I would certainly have considered it.  If he did not provide at least one, we would be left with simply taking his personal declaration as a valid authority -- something that I myself simply WOULD NOT be willing to do.

1) The 7-year Jewish-Roman wars ended in 73 AD with the fall of Masada.  There were some battles early after that when Jews tried to restore Judea.  But, it's been a very, very long time that Jews in significant numbers have fallen to swords.  And, I don't expect any future wars to be fought with swords.  So-called Jews are not children of Israel, but regardless, they're not falling by the edge of the sword.

2) Yes, in 70 AD, those Jews who weren't killed were scattered, just as Jesus predicted, along with the Temple being destroyed.  His generation.

3) No Jerusalem is still not being trodden down by the gentiles.   People you believe aren't gentiles control Jerusalem.  But, Jesus was referring to Roman war on Jerusalem (the topic of the chapter).  "Trodden down" is from a word that is only used in the Bible in the context of violence or crushing.  Jerusalem hasn't been trodden down much since the first century. 

4) The times of the gentiles being fulfilled doesn't mean an end to gentiles, but the fulfillment of the times of the gentiles is when the fullness of the gentiles has come into Israel (the church), and the Old Covenant is no more.  This happened with the Temple's destruction.

5) The only thing I take idiomatically is the one paragraph with Jesus coming in the clouds and stars falling, both clouds and stars are used symbolically in the OT. And, the context here implies they're idioms (e.g. what resulted form the stars falling), even if the reader didn't know clouds and stars were established idioms in the OT.  I take everything else literally.  Dispensationalists only pretend to take the chapter literally.    

1)  Actually, swords were used in battles over and against Jerusalem for hundreds of years after 70 AD.  Furthermore, swords are still used at times as weapons in the battles and skirmishes of the middle east.  Finally, "swords" is representative of any and all forms of weapon.

2)  And they are still scattered across the whole world, as per our Lord's prophesy in Luke 21:24 - because "the times of the Gentiles" has not yet come to its fulfilled conclusion.

3)  Oh, but Jerusalem most certainly IS still being "trodden down" with oppression unto this very day.  Actually, throughout the centuries since the first century, Jerusalem has been fought over and trodden down a great number of times.  This is simply a historical FACT.

4)  Never said that the times of the Gentiles being fulfilled meant an end to the existence of the Gentiles.  Indeed, the fulfillment for the times of the Gentiles IS when the FULNESS of the Gentiles shall come in, as per Romans 11:25, which will lead to the deliverance of ALL the children of Israel, as per Romans 11:26-27.  This FULNESS of the Gentiles has NOT YET been completed.  As far as the ending of the old covenant from Mount Sinai, that ended at the cross of Christ, not at the destruction of temple in 70 AD.  The New Testament/Covenant was established in Christ's shed blood, sacrificial death, miraculous resurrection, and glorious exaltation.  When the New Testament/Covenant was thereby established, the old covenant was taken away.  

5)  By his own acknowledgement, Brother D DOES take some of the prophesy as idiomatic.  By my own claim, I take NONE of the prophesy as idiomatic, but as grammatically and contextually precise and literal.  Now, Brother D attempts to disparage my claim with the accusation that I only PRETEND to take the chapter literally.  Yet his accusation is NOT valid just because he claimed it to be so.  Rather, he must provide evidence for the accuracy of his accusation in order for it to be established as having validity; but he is no longer able to do that because he ha been kicked out of the forum.  Even so, at the beginning of this posting, I acknowledged my advantage for the remainder of this threads postings.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Administrators

Bro. Scott, I son't believe that if he were still here he could provide any further argument in addition to what he has already provided time and time again. Saying the same thing over and over just doesn't make it so, especially when what he has declared has been proven wrong at every turn.

I myself would not go as far as declaring him a false teacher, simply because he is not a teacher of any form. But I would say without any hesitation that he has been and still is seriously deluded and/or misled. Whether this is something he learned by listening to others or something he arrived at by himself I do not know. I tend to lean toward him being self taught, simply because of the ridiculous nature of many of his arguments. I have never personally heard this kind of teaching from any kind of Baptist.

So post on brother, it will be good information to any future folks who stumble upon this thread. Besides, most of this is really deep stuff that most people never get to hear preached simply because so few pastors are knowledgeable enough.

• Members

Concerning Matthew 24:1 - 25:46, Mark 131-37, Luke 21:5-36 (Part 1).

First, let us recognize that Matthew 24:1 – 25:46, Mark 13:1-37, and Luke 21:5-36 are parallel passages concerning the same teaching event of our Lord Jesus Christ’s ministry.

Second, let us recognize that this teaching event of our Lord’s ministry was delivered in response to questions that the disciples had asked.  In fact, the disciples had asked TWO sets of questions. 

A few days before our Lord’s crucifixion, He engaged in teaching at the temple in Jerusalem.  Upon one of those occasions, as He was leaving the temple, some of His disciples pointed out the glory of the temple building.

Matthew 24:1 — And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.”
Mark 13:1 — And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here!”
Luke 21:5 — And as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said,”

In response, our Lord Jesus Christ prophesied concerning the destruction of that temple.

Matthew 24:2 — And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things?  Verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”
Mark 13:2 — And Jesus answering said unto him, Seest thou these great buildings?  There shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”
Luke 21:6 — As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”

Then in response to our Lord’s prophecy, the disciples asked their two sets of questions.

Matthew 24:3 — And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be?  And what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
Mark 13:3–4 — And as he sat upon the mount of Olives over against the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately, tell us, when shall these things be?  And what shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled?”
Luke 21:7 — And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be?  And what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?”

In each of these three passages, it is recorded that the disciples asked two questions.  However, in both Mark 13:3-4 and Luke 21:7 the two questions both concern the SAME matter; for both questions in both of these passages are about “these things.”  Now, since our Lord Jesus Christ had just prophesied concerning the destruction of the temple, the matter of “these things” must concern that very destruction.  On the other hand, in Matthew 24:3 the two questions concern DIFFERENT matters; for the first question is also about “these things,” but the second question is about the Lord’s coming and the end of the world.  So then, the TWO sets of questions by the disciples were as follows:

1.  Set #1 – Concerning the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem
     A.  WHEN shall these things [the destruction of the temple] be?
     B.  WHAT SIGN will there be when these thing [the destruction of the temple] shall come to pass?

2.  Set #2 – Concerning the Lord’s coming and the world’s end
     A.  WHAT shall be the SIGN of thy coming?
     B.  WHAT shall be the SIGN . . . of the end of the world?

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
layout

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 4/26/2017 at 5:00 AM, CelinaCelinaCelina said:

I've read the book of Revelation and Daniel at least twice before, but I wasn't really able to understand the prophecies therein.
I know that the Holy Spirit will guide you of all truth but I don't really know how to understand it.

I can read some opinions from other Christians but how will I know if they are right?

How were you guys able to finally understand those books?

Helpful to remember that the Revelation ties directly into Daniel and other OT prophecies, so the key to the symbols will be found in those other prophetic books. Also important to realise that the Book was written to address both immediate situations at time of John, and also was addressing future end time events still yet to come.

The churches mentioned by John addresed by jesus would refer to various churches throughout the Church Age, and some see them as historical churches, as in various stages of the state of the Church going forward.

Please remember also that the main person of the Book is Jesus Christ, not the antichrist, as some weant to elevate that person to being the main person of the prophecy.

• Members

Celina, celina, celina...

Agreed, if we know Daniel properly, its chronology and exact dating, then it must also coincide exactly with Revelation and its chronology and exact dating..

One is a compliment of the other, and both must match if we get it right and exact, and we do have to after the Covenant START begins.

And blessed be the Philippines, a truly Christian country, and an amazing Christian President..The Lord bless and keep him.Im definitely not political there or here or anywhere, but President Duarte has brough law and oreder, even though he cant do it all. GBY

• Members

Just trying out this format, please forgive if wrong....

DaComb, Revelation is about Jesus' victory over the AntiChrist and the False Prophet, and our unity together under HIS earthly leadership of Revelation 11, etc with our Two Witnesses. So again, there is a parallel, and we do have to know the opposition, and the exact times of our GATHERING and fleeing and fight to the end....

Know the Lord, know prophecy, and know the opposition.

• Members
On 8/13/2018 at 7:21 PM, Davidjayjordan said:

Just trying out this format, please forgive if wrong....

DaComb, Revelation is about Jesus' victory over the AntiChrist and the False Prophet, and our unity together under HIS earthly leadership of Revelation 11, etc with our Two Witnesses. So again, there is a parallel, and we do have to know the opposition, and the exact times of our GATHERING and fleeing and fight to the end....

Know the Lord, know prophecy, and know the opposition.

There are no scriptures though that even hin thtta we will know the eaxact hour of His rapture event, as we are just commanded to be ready for it!

• Members

Sorry Bro, the exact hour is 84 hours after our two Christian prophets are killed by the AC, and lie in the steets of Jerusalem for 3.5 days until the Lord comes in the air for them and ALL others in the first RESURRECTION

Rev 11

And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.

These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.

10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

11 And after three days and an half the spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

12 And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.

Im not allowed to make a NEW TOPIC with these WORDS OF GOD, but maybe I am allowed to answer you HEREON, with an answer for you.

Edited by Davidjayjordan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Concerning Matthew 24:1 - 25:46, Mark 131-37, Luke 21:5-36 (Part 2).

So then, the TWO sets of questions by the disciples were as follows:

1.  Set #1 – Concerning the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem
     A.  WHEN shall these things [the destruction of the temple] be?
     B.  WHAT SIGN will there be when these thing [the destruction of the temple] shall come to pass?

2.  Set #2 – Concerning the Lord’s coming and the world’s end
     A.  WHAT shall be the SIGN of thy coming?
     B.  WHAT shall be the SIGN . . . of the end of the world?

In answer to the disciples’ two sets of questions, our Lord provided a broad time-line of events.  As we unify the parallel passages of Matthew 24:1 – 25:46, Mark 13:1-37, and Luke 21:5-36, we are able to discern the ordering of this time-line, as follows:

I.  Question Set #1 – Concerning the Destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem

A.  Nation against Nation & The World against Christ’s Servants

Matthew 24:4–14

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake.
10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Mark 13:5–13
5 And Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you:
6 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
7 And when ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars, be ye not troubled: for such things must needs be; but the end shall not be yet.
8 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be earthquakes in divers places, and there shall be famines and troubles: these are the beginnings of sorrows.
9 But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them.
10 And the gospel must first be published among all nations.
11 But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.
12 Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against their parents, and shall cause them to be put to death.
13 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Luke 21:9–19
8 And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.
9 But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.
10 Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:
11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.
12 But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name’s sake.
13 And it shall turn to you for a testimony.
14 Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer:
15 For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.
16 And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.
17 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake.
18 But there shall not an hair of your head perish.
19 In your patience possess ye your souls.

(Note: According to our Lord’s teaching in Matthew 24:6, Mark 13:7, Luke 21:9, these wars and persecutions are NOT a sing of the end.  They are only “the beginning of sorrows.”  On the other hand, throughout this time period, our Lord intends for the gospel to be “published among all nations” of the world and for us to walk in patient endurance unto the end.)

B.  Vengeance against Jerusalem & The Scattering of the Israelites

Luke 21:20–24
20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

(Note:  This encompassing and desolation of Jerusalem by the armies of Rome is now a historical even that occurred in 70 AD.  At that time also the temple in Jerusalem was destroyed.  Thus we are able to understand Luke 21:20-24 reveals our Lord’s answer unto the first set of questions by the disciple – When shall the destruction of the temple be, and what sign shall there be when the destruction of the temple would come to pass?  Yet the desolation of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple is not the end of all.  Rather, according to our Lord’s teaching in Luke 21:24, following this desolation and destruction shall be a time wherein the Israelites are “led away captive into all nations” and wherein “Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles.”  In fact, according to our Lord’s teaching in Luke 21:24, this time period will extend over periods (plural) of time “until the times [plural] of the Gentiles be fulfilled.”)

II.  Question Set #2 – Concerning the Lord’s Coming and the World’s End

A.  The Abomination of Desolation & The Greatest Tribulation of All Time

Matthew 24:15-51
15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened.
23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
25 Behold, I have told you before.
26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
Mark 13:14–23
14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:
15 And let him that is on the housetop not go down into the house, neither enter therein, to take any thing out of his house:
16 And let him that is in the field not turn back again for to take up his garment.
17 But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
18 And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter.
19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.
20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect’s sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.
21 And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there; believe him not:
22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.
23 But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

B.  The Powers of Heaven Shaken & The Coming of the Lord

Matthew 24:29-31
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Mark 13:24–27
24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,
25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.
26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.
27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.
Luke 21:25–28
25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;
26 Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

C.  The Judgment of the Sheep and of the Goats

Matthew 25:31-46
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.