• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Canning Help

AdamL

• Members

I am wanting to start canning with my wife but I am kind of at a loss as of where to start.  I have researched pressure canners some but am not sure exactly what to buy or other methods of doing it.  I am wanting to can vegetables and meat if that makes any difference.

Anyone that has experience that wouldn't mind sharing I would really appreciate it.

• Members
3 hours ago, AdamL said:

I am wanting to start canning with my wife but I am kind of at a loss as of where to start.  I have researched pressure canners some but am not sure exactly what to buy or other methods of doing it.  I am wanting to can vegetables and meat if that makes any difference.

As I understand it, you cannot use the old traditional type pressure cookers or canners on one of the new smooth-top stoves.   If you have an older traditional type stove [not a smooth-top], canning can be done on it with a pressure canner.

My wife had canned some tomatoes without a pressure canner since the tomatoes can be cooked in a pot and then poured in jars.  To help them seal, I think that the jars with the cooked tomatoes are first turned upside down until they seal.

Since my wife wanted to do some canning of other vegetables, we bought a Power Pressure Cooker XL, and my wife has used it to can in some pint jars.  The model we have will not hold quart jars.

Edited by Tyndale

• Members
9 hours ago, Tyndale said:

As I understand it, you cannot use the old traditional type pressure cookers or canners on one of the new smooth-top stoves.   If you have an older traditional type stove [not a smooth-top], canning can be done on it with a pressure canner.

My wife had canned some tomatoes without a pressure canner since the tomatoes can be cooked in a pot and then poured in jars.  To help them seal, I think that the jars with the cooked tomatoes are first turned upside down until they seal.

Since my wife wanted to do some canning of other vegetables, we bought a Power Pressure Cooker XL, and my wife has used it to can in some pint jars.  The model we have will not hold quart jars.

Thank you for the information.

• Administrators

I've only ever used the hot-water pack style to can. That is simply the large canner that can hold 9 quarts. Food is packed into the jars (sometimes hot, sometimes cold, depending on what is being canned), seals put on, and then they are boiled in the water for hours. Not fun when in a humid area without air conditioning. =D

We are interested in looking at pressure cookers, but I don't know if there are any that will can quarts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:53 AM, HappyChristian said:

I've only ever used the hot-water pack style to can. That is simply the large canner that can hold 9 quarts. Food is packed into the jars (sometimes hot, sometimes cold, depending on what is being canned), seals put on, and then they are boiled in the water for hours. Not fun when in a humid area without air conditioning. =D

We are interested in looking at pressure cookers, but I don't know if there are any that will can quarts.

This is the only kind we have used and just fro a few jars here and there.  My mother used a pressure cooker but they were dangerous in those days.