• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Easter's Connections to Roman Catholic Heresy

• Administrators

Yes, I agree NN. I am continually amazed that in all my years in Alaska I was never exposed to this sort of thing among Independent Baptists. This was probably because the few Independent Baptist churches there were so remote from the rest of the Independent Baptist world.

Once I got down to the lower states and especially since I have joined this message board, I began to hear more and more of how pervasive this is among supposedly sound Independent Baptists.

I am convinced that we who see this tendency clearly must speak out against it forcefully and never let down our guard. To not do so only accelerates the tendency to let error creep in to our churches.

• Members

From what I've seen in my area, it's all about works...and I'm not talking about receiving rewards for our works.

It seems to boil down to trying to please God, draw closer to God, appease God, etc. by one's works. 

Here in my area last year, there was a huge push for others to observe Lent (and all of it's aspects) by a non-denominational church here (this particular church wields a lot of influence in my town)...which was a Southern Baptist church a few years ago. I haven't kept up with all those goings-on this year...

• Members
30 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Yes, I agree NN. I am continually amazed that in all my years in Alaska I was never exposed to this sort of thing among Independent Baptists. This was probably because the few Independent Baptist churches there were so remote from the rest of the Independent Baptist world.

Once I got down to the lower states and especially since I have joined this message board, I began to hear more and more of how pervasive this is among supposedly sound Independent Baptists.

I am convinced that we who see this tendency clearly must speak out against it forcefully and never let down our guard. To not do so only accelerates the tendency to let error creep in to our churches.

I agree, Jim. Lent is still not so big up here in Alaska. I don't know that I have ever seen anyone sporting the ashes, or talking about the observance in general. As you point out, Alaska is still pretty remote from the rest of the US (although that remoteness is shrinking in some ways due to the internet). The other factor is that the RC church has very little presence up here. Russian Orthodox is much more prevalent. However, the average Alaskan still sees RO as a foreign religion, only followed by coastal Alaska Natives and a remnant of old-order Russians that still have communities. It has no real influence among the main stream population.

As for IB churches in AK, they too have still not yet gotten sucked into this Catholic tradition. I do not know how long you have been out of Alaska, but you will be pleased to hear that our isolation still preserves us to this day from certain societal ills that have crept into the church in other areas of the country. 

Edited by weary warrior

• Administrators
10 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems as though all of that hub-bub last year centered around the "30" days of Lent. Is it one week, is it 30 days, or am I completely mistaken?

I was just a kid NN. I may have forgotten if it is a week or a month.

• Moderators

It's my understanding that the "Lenten season" is 40 days. I thought Lent was something found in clothes dryers and navels.

I gave up Catholicism for Lent -- oh, that's right, I wasn't Catholic, my wife was.

So, if you don't give it back, was it lent? Or just given?

• Members

The Roman Catholic Church (like the false ministers of the world, denominations, backslid ministers, and the false prophets of the Old Testament), use business practices in order to have have folks join their chruch.

2 Peter 2:3 gives us one of the motives (the first is pride or fame or recognition among the people), of the false teacher, "And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandisde of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not." The Roman Catholic church, and the Rick Warrens of the religious world, are in the religious business for fame and money.

All false religions (and fleshly minded ministers), will start some sort of religious ceremony (which may or may not be based on the scriptures), or religious observance, to add to the rolls of the church members and keep the money flowing. False religions (and fleshly minded ministres like Rick Warren for example), need some religious gimmick to keep the crowds coming through the doors in order to become famous and sell milliions of dollars worth of religious books and other religious items.

All false religions, like any good business, will start a movement in order to keep the people coming back and be faithful to the denomination (or business).

False religions (like all businesses), false teachers and prophets, need new movements, new bibles, new doctrines, special clothing, special religious obervances (like Lent, etc..),  to keep the people fooled by a religious observance of some kind.

Oh, by the way, according to 2 Peter 2:3, judgment is coming.

Edited by Alan
grammer correct the scripture reference

• Members
On 4/15/2017 at 0:53 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

-snip-
I said all of this because among some modern day Baptists these things are spoken of from some pulpits by younger pastors who have been exposed to some sort of ecumenical teaching or exposure to these words and phrases. These things have no place among fundamental Baptists. I am convinced that some of these newer educated pastors never even think of the ramifications of perpetuating these things, or where it ultimately leads in the scope of any ecumenical tendencies that seem to be creeping into our churches.

Amen!   How true!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I guess I'm fortunate to live in an area not exposed to this heresy.  Well, sort of.  My ministry is actually in a 99% Hispanic population which is 99% Roman Catholic.  So, I'm certainly exposed to lent (it's funny to watch all the restaurant signs start announcing that they are offering fish during the week of lent).  However, the few Baptists in this area are so staunchly anti-Roman Catholic that anything even remotely close to an RC position is strictly avoided.  We wanted to sing "Mary Did You Know" one time in church and the folks resisted because they felt it was too close to worshiping Mary!  I could see their viewpoint and we just let it go and chose a different song.  That said, I do regret the direction I see other Independent Baptists moving in trying to "appease" the world.

• Members

I am so delighted that your ministry is with so many Hispanic people!  Here in far northern Calif., we have quite a population of Hispanics (we live in an agricultural area).  In this dinky little town where cattle are driven down Main St. periodically, we particularly have many, and the Lord has given me a tremendous love for them!  Indeed, most of them here are of the RCC.  I shall pray for your ministry!

Edited by WellWithMySoul