• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Herb gardens

Orval

• Members

For those who want indoor herb gardens here is some nice info for you.  Indoor herbs can be grown in nearly anything from old mayonnaise or pickle jars to more elaborate flower boxes built to set on indoor window sills.  The key is in the soil and water content since most herbs need just a little sunshine, a nice grainy rich soil and very little water.  Soil should not be packed down but a bit loose for breathing.  Breathing allows the soil to retain some moisture but not enough for the roots to mildew.

Since most herbs need very little water herbs such as Rosemary, Dill, Thyme, Oregano, Sage and Lavender can be grown indoors either in full sunlight or partial sun light keeping in mind that the fuller the sunlight the oftener you need to check the soil moisture.  You can usually spray herbs with a mister bottle a few mornings each week and you will be fine.

Other herbs such as Cilantro, Basil, Tarragon and Parsley like more sun and moist soil. 

Mints are the oddball of herbs and do not do well in square or round containers they need to be planted in rectangles that are 6 to 10 inches wide and 3 or 4 feet long as the mint likes to grow out as opposed to up.   

If you are going to plant a complimentary garden (planting two or three herbs together you should probably check to see which plants complement each other.  For instance, Sage, Thyme, Rosemary, Lavender, Oregano and Marjoram have no compatibility problems.  But other herbs because of their various needs, like water, need to be researched.  Any size home can confidently grow their own herbs and dry them for seasoning.  It is just a matter of planting the seeds and tending them. 

Get a small pair of scissors that are sharp and use these to snip / gather your herbs for your meals and spices. I would also mention here that natural dandelions that are found all over the world are great for medicinal purposes and can be dried and sold for a tidy profit.  The roots, stems and flower are all used as natural remedies for inflammation, repressed hunger, diuretic, help to liver and gallbladder function, there is some evidence (no studies on humans have been made) that the properties can help with blood pressure and blood sugar.  I would suggest you do your own research but thought I would mention it.

Edited by Orval

• Members

Dandelions can also be eaten as salad.   My gardening books say blanch the leaves under a flower pot, making sure you cut off all the flower heads.  I believe you can get seeds of a cultivated variety with larger leaves.  I have seen the leaves sold in French greengrocers.  The French name for them is pis en lit i.e. wet the bed, the other English name for them, although I think our name dandelion comes from French, dent de lion, lion's teeth.