• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I'm not sure if this is the right place, or if it has been discussed before but here goes...

I read recently that one can read the Bible through, at moderate reading speed, in 80 hours.  Therefore, half hour spent daily just reading it systematically would get one through it in 160 days.

However, I wonder if it is wise to read it through from Genesis to Revelation as it means that one doesn't come to the NT for some time.  What do y'all think?

• Members

Bob, I've read the Bible through but I get so much more out of it if I slow down. Yes, I agree, the 'through the Bible reading' might be better for a new Christian beginning in the NT. But for any of us who have read it more than once from Genesis through Revelation, I say start wherever you want. For that matter alternate between OT and NT. I think you would agree, read it in one fashion or another is most important.

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members
39 minutes ago, The real Bob Hutton said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place, or if it has been discussed before but here goes...

I read recently that one can read the Bible through, at moderate reading speed, in 80 hours.  Therefore, half hour spent daily just reading it systematically would get one through it in 160 days.

However, I wonder if it is wise to read it through from Genesis to Revelation as it means that one doesn't come to the NT for some time.  What do y'all think?

Bob,

I have experimented with various techniques and have found that none of them keep alert to the nuggets of scripture on a day to day basis. Don’t misunderstand me, I strive to read my bible every day and have read it through as many as four times in a year (last year) as well as reading five psalms and one proverb daily but what I have found is that if your heart is not in your reading you can read the bible through in three or four days and it won’t help you gather the spiritual nuggets you crave.

In all the ways I have found nothing better, in my opinion, than just taking a passage and exegeting it for fun and learning.  This makes the word of God come to life, when we are not under time constraints and you do it for the fun of being in the Word the experience is wonderful. It’s like going for a walk with someone you love to be around you just share the mood and ambience of the experience.  No pressure to have a lesson done or a message.  It is just you and the Holy Spirit.

I believe if we could get back to just loving the Word of God instead of force feeding ourselves the word of God we would enjoy getting into the word of God and finding all nuggets we can.

• Members
18 hours ago, The real Bob Hutton said:

For a mature Christian I would highly recommend reading from cover to cover but with a newbie they should start off in the NT. The Gospel of John, I & II Thessalonians, Romans and Ephesians. IMO, those books should be read first before the rest including Matthew through Luke which can be hard to grasp at times. This is why heretics will gravitate towards Matthew-Luke, Acts and Revelations.

Edited by fastjav390

• Members
5 hours ago, fastjav390 said:

For a mature Christian I would highly recommend reading from cover to cover but with a newbie they should start off in the NT. The Gospel of John, I & II Thessalonians, Romans and Ephesians. IMO, those books should be read first before the rest including Matthew through Luke which can be hard to grasp at times. This is why heretics will gravitate towards Matthew-Luke, Acts and Revelations.

If I like Matthew and Luke does that make me a heretic after the first or second admonition?  :4_11_3::4_6_4:

• Members
2 hours ago, fastjav390 said:

No he wasn't. If he was then he needs to look up Poe's Law.

I have no idea what Poe's law is, and it was indeed intended to be funny,  So forgive me I take all the silly faces and put a sad face up in their place.  :sorry:

• Moderators

Here's how my wife and I do it:   We read the OT in the morning, each at their own pace-she reads in the morning while in bed, often quite a bit, while I read through the day, here and there, during work, usually on breaks and such. In the evening before bed, we read New Testament together, usually 4-6 chapters at a time-I read a few chapters and she reads a few. If there's something that strikes us we will talk about it, or we read and go to bed.  I'm in 2Chronicles, she is, I think, in Psalms or Proverbs. Together we're in 1Corinthians.

17 hours ago, fastjav390 said:

No he wasn't. If he was then he needs to look up Poe's Law.

I thought Poe's Law was never trust a raven. 

• 11 months later...
  • Members
On 3/29/2017 at 2:47 AM, Bob from England said:

When I first got saved, I was so hungry with God's word that I was able to read the bible from Genesis to Revelations in 2 months. (60 days.) 
I would read it every chance I get. I was still in my last year of college so I have about 5 hours of class per day. 

I did it cover to cover, however, I'd skip a few times and go to Psalms and or the epistles. 
I loved the feeling though. It's all I think about 24/7. 

Do I know everything about the bible after that? Nope. 
But I was able to get the nutrients I need from my "milk". 

Reading the bible the second time around is so much better since I was able to put verse references myself. 
The more I read it the more I love God because how great is He to author this great book!! 

• Members

I try (don't always succeed) to spend an hour with my bible every day. My bible, my notebook, my highlighters and whatever resources I need (Strong's, dictionary, etc). I try to take a passage of scripture and really get into it. I also will write out passages, the copying of it helps me remember it. I usually will go with whatever book our pastor is preaching through and often will listen to the sermon again too. Right now, Pastor is preaching through the Gospel of John on Sunday mornings. Sunday nights and Wednesday nights are usually topical studies. So, if I don't go to church, I listen at home and take notes and study. its nice to be able to pause the sermon and look things up. 

***I have problems making it to church since my car accident. It depends on how much pain I'm in as to whether or not I can get my act together and go. So...please, no blasting me for irregular church attendance.