• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

It's hard to a decent KJV study bible these days. Someone recommend The Defenders Study Bible by Henry Morris, but believe it's out of print because the prices for it on Amazon are ridiculous. I have seen there is Henry Morris Study Bible now in KJV. Has anyone read it? If so would you recommend it, and why?

• Members
12 hours ago, Disciple.Luke said:

It's hard to a decent KJV study bible these days. Someone recommend The Defenders Study Bible by Henry Morris, but believe it's out of print because the prices for it on Amazon are ridiculous. I have seen there is Henry Morris Study Bible now in KJV. Has anyone read it? If so would you recommend it, and why?

I haven't read this particular Study Bible but I use the Scofield.  It is not 100% accurate, eg. it questions the Received Text in places, but it is very helpful on the typology of the OT.

• Members

I have a Morris Study Bible.  It's a good reference tool (apologetics especially) but I would not recommend it for your main bible.  Consider a good reference Bible for your main carry and study Bible (if that is what you are looking for).  This might help (presented as info only): https://www.wayoflife.org/database/referencebibles.html

• Members

I carry a compact reference KJV by Holman Bible Publishers for personal reading. I have always enjoyed apologetics, but I kind of got the impression the Henry Morris mainly focused apologetics on literal 7 day creationism. Which I absolutely agree with but my Sunday school class has been studying the creation subject for almost half a year using the Answers in Genesis curriculum, so I'm looking for something different to study in depth.

Which Study or Reference Bible would you recommend (Other than Scofield)?

• Members
3 hours ago, Disciple.Luke said:

Which Study or Reference Bible would you recommend (Other than Scofield)?

Personally, I don't believe in study Bibles.  I believe it's important to keep God's words separate from man's words.  I have Wilmington's Guide to the Bible, the Way of Life Encyclopedia of the Bible and Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary.  I also have a shelf full of collected antiquarian books that contain sermons and many old dictionaries, but I stick to those three listed when I need assistance.  I can't imagine having a commentary alongside of God's word.  I used the NIV study bible before I knew any better and I think the concept is just awful.  I think it's just laziness, so one does not have to set down the Bible and open another book.

I am also not a supporter of Scofield.  If you haven't learned about him, a little searching should tell you all you ned to know about why I keep myself as far from him and his teachings as possible.

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members
13 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

Personally, I don't believe in study Bibles.  I believe it's important to keep God's words separate from man's words.  I have Wilmington's Guide to the Bible, the Way of Life Encyclopedia of the Bible and Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary.  I also have a shelf full of collected antiquarian books that contain sermons and many old dictionaries, but I stick to those three listed when I need assistance.  I can't imagine having a commentary alongside of God's word.  I used the NIV study bible before I knew any better and I think the concept is just awful.

I am also not a supporter of Scofield.  If you haven't learned about him, a little searching should tell you all you ned to know about why I keep myself as far from him and his teachings as possible.

Treasury of Scripture Knowledge is also invaluable... and Strongs. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

Personally, I don't believe in study Bibles.  I believe it's important to keep God's words separate from man's words.  I have Wilmington's Guide to the Bible, the Way of Life Encyclopedia of the Bible and Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary.  I also have a shelf full of collected antiquarian books that contain sermons and many old dictionaries, but I stick to those three listed when I need assistance.  I can't imagine having a commentary alongside of God's word.  I used the NIV study bible before I knew any better and I think the concept is just awful.  I think it's just laziness, so one does not have to set down the Bible and open another book.

Agree, I am not a fan of Scofield either.

Edited by Disciple.Luke