• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Prince of Egypt

• Moderators

I think I remember seeing one piece of this, a clip of the magicians of Egypt, primarily because it was Steve Martin and Martin Short, as I recall, who played them, so it was done, of course, for laughs. And they even got their names wrong. Jannes and Jambres (2Tim 3:8), were their names.

• Members

Hey Orval, the movie this thread is talking about is about Moses, not Joseph, but I have heard that the Joseph movie wasn't great either.

On 07/05/2017 at 0:04 AM, Orval said:

My wife and I watched this film two nights ago and I walked away shaking my head in disbelief.  At the beginning of the film Disney made a statement similar to what I write.  Allowing for creators of this film to embellish the account of Joseph from the bible for entertainment purposes we have none the less stayed true to the tenets of scripture as they are written in the Genesis account. my paraphrase.

On 07/05/2017 at 1:07 AM, Ukulelemike said:

I think I remember seeing one piece of this, a clip of the magicians of Egypt, primarily because it was Steve Martin and Martin Short, as I recall, who played them, so it was done, of course, for laughs. And they even got their names wrong. Jannes and Jambres (2Tim 3:8), were their names.

Uke, I see what you are looking at, but I am not sure we can say with certainty that this is talking about the priests of Egypt, can we?

Exo 7:22  And the magicians of Egypt ...........

I can't find it referencing only two magicians - it only uses the term in the plural - it might be two, but we only know it is more than 1!

• Members
6 hours ago, DaveW said:

Hey Orval, the movie this thread is talking about is about Moses, not Joseph, but I have heard that the Joseph movie wasn't great either.

Uke, I see what you are looking at, but I am not sure we can say with certainty that this is talking about the priests of Egypt, can we?

I can't find it referencing only two magicians - it only uses the term in the plural - it might be two, but we only know it is more than 1!

my apologies. I went back and checked and it was Joseph king of dreams.  sorry to interrupt thread.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, DaveW said:

This actually comes from  a reference about it, in, I think, Thayers, as well as Strong's concordance.

Thayers (if it will work) 9MTVQkMACwLiLznwEfD4jABCpwga7bGHMYCMEISv 

So I suppose we really don't know, though according to Strong's they are from an Egyptian origin.

• Members
1 hour ago, Orval said:

my apologies. I went back and checked and it was Joseph king of dreams.  sorry to interrupt thread.

No no - it was not meant as a rebuke, only information. Personally, I think it is fine to include it here as it is the same general subject.

35 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

This actually comes from  a reference about it, in, I think, Thayers, as well as Strong's concordance.

Thayers (if it will work) 9MTVQkMACwLiLznwEfD4jABCpwga7bGHMYCMEISv 

So I suppose we really don't know, though according to Strong's they are from an Egyptian origin.

Cool - wasn't meaning to be pedantic so much as interested to see if I was missing something. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, DaveW said:

No no - it was not meant as a rebuke, only information. Personally, I think it is fine to include it here as it is the same general subject.

Cool - wasn't meaning to be pedantic so much as interested to see if I was missing something. 

No, I didn't see it that way-As I said, I guess we can't really know for certain, all we have is I guess what tradition says about it. Though it is interesting to note that Paul considered what was written in the Babylonian Talmud about them, which is hwere the names come from, that he used the same in an authoritative manner. I guess taking what Thayer's says about the origin of the names referring to them as the (or perhaps, the head) magicians from Egypt that withstood Moses, along with Paul using the same names, if we believe the word ot be inspried, we can have faith that these are the names of at least the two primary magicians of Pharaoh's court. I don't doubt he had many, but perhaps Janes and Jambres were the master magicians, or the high priests of the court.