• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

English question

• Members

I am writing a paper / book on Baptist Distinctives and I am currently writing on the topic of Soul Liberty.  My question is this: since Soul Liberty is the topic do I need to capitalize the words soul liberty each time the combination is used in the chapter and elsewhere?  I would greatly appreciate your wise counsel. 

• Members

If you do once I suppose you should all the time,  Long time since I used it but vannot Wprd change, fpr instance, sl to Soul Liberty.  I know I could when I used Word Perfect years ago.

• Members
2 hours ago, Alimantado said:

I don't know but whatever you do, don't accept advice on writing from this guy!

I used to get misspelt words underlined in red, but that doesn't happen now.

• Members

Its not a grammatical requirement unless you are actually using those words as a title in the sentence ("with quotes" as well) but I tend to capitalize the subject as if it were a name anywhere (without quotes) regardless, but that is just me. Whatever you do, do it consistently! 

Edited by John Young

• Members

Thanks to each for your response.  I contacted a friend who was an English major in college and she has told me I should capitalize simply because Soul Liberty is considered a doctrine or ideology making them proper nouns.  As John said she also suggests keeping what I do consistent throughout the document.