• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Internal Server Error

• Administrators
On 3/5/2017 at 0:00 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

While attempting to post a response in a thread from a few months back, I received the following error message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@onlinebaptist.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

?????????????????????????????????????????

It has been my experience on my own forums that the "Internal Server Error" is generated by a server, as it indicates. It may be the server on the site you are accessing or it may be the server that your Internet Service Provider uses. it can be caused by more traffic than the server can handle, a tech working on the system, or just a glitch in the system.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Brother Schneck,

I thank you for that advice.  I shall experiment with it.  What I do not understand is why I used to be able to copy and paste long postings from Word in the past, but cannot at present.  (Yes, I recognize that this could be a temporary situation that will "fix" itself over time, just as was mentioned by another earlier.  We shall see.)

It could be that certain documents you have only contain the "culprit" "bad" character.  As info... "smart quotes" can cause issues for sure. When coding html (or pasting in html) "smart quotes" are not allowed. It "crashes" the html code.  That's just one example. That's not to say smart quotes can't be used, but they must be done in unicode.  It gets very complicated.  Just know you you are always better off pasting "plain text" into any html (web) app.

• Members
4 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

It has been my experience on my own forums that the "Internal Server Error" is generated by a server, as it indicates. It may be the server on the site you are accessing or it may be the server that your Internet Service Provider uses. it can be caused by more traffic than the server can handle, a tech working on the system, of just a glitch in the system.

So then, NOT really my end OR the forum's end, but the problem of some "go between."

By the way, I attempted to repost the original "problem" posting after saving it through Microsoft Word in "plain text," as Brother Schneck suggested, but I received the same error message.  So, no solution there.  For now, I will just have to be careful in using my "backdoor" method, proof-reading everything VERY carefully before posting (because it seems to be preventing my "edit-ability").

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
3 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

It has been my experience on my own forums that the "Internal Server Error" is generated by a server, as it indicates. It may be the server on the site you are accessing or it may be the server that your Internet Service Provider uses. it can be caused by more traffic than the server can handle, a tech working on the system, or just a glitch in the system.

That is a good point... But the server MAY be reporting this due to bad code in the reply.  But you are right James... there are a lot of possibilities for what is wrong. Bad text input is only on of many things...

• Members
20 minutes ago, 1611mac said:

Pastor Markle... If you want... send me your word file that crashes.  I'll be happy to experiment.  I enjoy these types things and learn from them.  I'll use Windows and Mac.

Ok, and thank you.  Should I send by email as an attachment?

• Administrators

Now I am having this problem also. I have never had it before. I tried to post on the new Homesteading forum and got this error message. I tried everything, "New topic, Reply, Quote," nothing worked. I had to break the post into three posts before I could get it all posted.

Perhaps BroMatt can look into this when he comes online. I have searched everywhere in my admin control panel and see no options for fixing this. Nor do I see any post length limiters.

• Members

It's a very very odd problem.  I was able to post an extremely long test entry so I don't don't it has to do with number of chars.  I was able to post "problem" text in three separate posts and they worked.  But when put all together in a single post I got the error.  And I'm not convinced it's not a certain combination of characters.  Do you have a lot of scripture refs?  A lot of quotes, colons, and such?

• Members
16 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Now I am having this problem also. I have never had it before. I tried to post on the new Homesteading forum and got this error message. I tried everything, "New topic, Reply, Quote," nothing worked. I had to break the post into three posts before I could get it all posted.

This was the problem that I had in the last lesson on the Revelation thread and on the Twelth Apostle thread.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Alan said:

This was the problem that I had in the last lesson on the Revelation thread and on the Twelth Apostle thread.

Thanks Alan. I am going to send a message to BroMatt about this. It is extremely irritating. I spent hours last night and this morning trying to post one thread. I had to finally break it down into three posts.