• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Gardening Section for OB?

• Members

Hello members and admins,

Would anyone be in support of there being a gardening section in the General Forums section?  Perhaps between "Kitchen" and "Book & Movie Reviews."  There could be sub sections for flowers, fruits & veggies and other things.

The reason that I ask is that, among other things, I would like to learn how to garden proficiently and then start a fruit & vegetable garden at church and even set something up to teach others how to grow their own food as cheaply and efficiently as possible.  Give a man a tomato and he eats for a day.  Teach a man how to grow tomatoes and he eats for a lifetime.

I am certain that there are members here that would enjoy a section like that and who possess a wealth of helpful information.   If moderation would be an issue, I would be willing to volunteer.

What say you, brethren and sistren?

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members

I would love anyone willing to share gardening info.  My family is moving to a new home soon and I want to set up a garden once we get settled.  I am also interested in keeping a small beehive for honey if anyone has any expertise in that area.

• Members
4 minutes ago, AdamL said:

I would love anyone willing to share gardening info.  My family is moving to a new home soon and I want to set up a garden once we get settled.  I am also interested in keeping a small beehive for honey if anyone has any expertise in that area.

I wanted to keep bees, but my wife banned me.  Perhaps I shouldn't have said that, but that she did not want me to and I always want to please her.

I did once read a book about keeping bees on the balcony of a city apartment block.

• Members

I am also learning the skill of beekeeping and am aware how beneficial they are for countless plants.  Perhaps that can be another sub section if we can get a gardening section approved.

• Members

Growing up, we always had a garden...usually around 1/3 of an acre in size and had a lot of different vegetables in it. As a kid, I hated working in the garden. LOL!

Now, I would dearly love to have one; however, due to the size of our property and lack of a roto-tiller, our "garden" consists of about 10 five gallon buckets devoted to tomatoes, a couple of pepper plants, and I usually try a different third item each year. Thinking about broccoli this year.

• Members
1 minute ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Now, I would dearly love to have one; however, due to the size of our property and lack of a roto-tiller, our "garden" consists of about 10 five gallon buckets devoted to tomatoes, a couple of pepper plants, and I usually try a different third item each year. Thinking about broccoli this year.

That is exactly the type of thing I am hoping to address with people and to help them with.  You can grow an amazing amount of food in very small spaces.  There are also types of gardening that do not require any tilling whatsoever.  I want to learn as much as I can so that I can help people get past obstacles that are preventing them from growing their own food.

There is no reason that anyone shouldn't have at least some fresh food; especially those in poverty.  God makes food pop up out of the ground, for crying out loud.  We just need to teach people how to do it.

• Members
1 hour ago, No Nicolaitans said:

My guess is Bro. Matt...not sure if a moderator can create new forums or not. I know that when the Debate forum was started, Bro. Matt was the one who created it.

Well, I suppose it's along way off yet.  I think there should be a fair amount of people interested first.  If not, then The Lounge will suffice.

• Members
1 hour ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I know a few people who've built "raised bed gardens". They're just boxes built on the ground...usually something like 8', 10', or 12' square and 2' or 3' tall...filled with top soil...no tilling required. Initial cost to build them might be a deterrent, but they last for years.

This was my plan.  I am very fortunate in the house we are looking to buy the owner has already built three raised beds!

• Members
7 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Not exactly a garden but, in the background is one of my sorghum fields, planted last year,,,

Image may contain: 1 person

This is one of the gardens in my greenhouse. Getiing it ready to plant another, Stay tuned :)

No automatic alt text available.

The images are not showing up in my browser, but I'm happy to hear you're growing.