• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Congress Applause

• Members

Since I was a young boy, I have watched presidential speeches; first, with my parents when I was young and usually played with toys on the floor in front of the television and then, on my own, paying close attention; even taking notes at times. 

What has always bothered me, with every president, was not their speeches, but how the congress would interrupt them every few sentences or so with standing applause.  It has always driven me mad and I have always wondered how much shorter their speeches would be if it weren't for all of the interruptive applause.

So, I did an experiment this evening.  I downloaded Trump's speech from last night.  I found a copy on YouTube that was 1:06:53 long from the time of "Mr Speaker, The President of the United States," to the applause at the end of the video.  I cut out every instance of applause.  

I was left with a video 38:24 long.  For those who may not understand the time format, the original video was one hour, six minutes and fifty-three seconds long.  The edited result was thirty-eight minutes and twenty-four seconds long.  That means that the congress stood and applauded for 28:29... twenty-eight minutes and twenty-nine seconds of applause!

Good grief!

It would be interesting to make a list of a bunch of speeches from past presidents, posting the results of their speech times after removing the applause.  Perhaps at times when I am ill and bedridden, I will do so to some of them.

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members

Brother Stafford is right. Most times applause is too excessive in speeches by our Presidents before Congress.

But, I think the comparison between the applause given to the speech given by President Trump and the applause given by any ruler in North Korea that Invicta mentioned is not a just comparison. The actions, belief, policies, greatness, and help to the people of America by President Trump, and the actions, belief, policies, and lack of greatness by the leader of North Korea is not a fair comparison between the two leaders. Again, I think the comparison was in error.

President Trump, and the speech he gave to Congress, and to the American people, was worthy of applause. And, in President Trumps situation, I do not think the applause was excessive. The actions by Obama, and his administration, for the past 8 years has been destructive to the freedoms that we have enjoyed as Americans and as Christians. President Trump is reversing a lot of those destructive policies. President Trump is worthy of as much encouragement from Congress, and the people of the United States, as we can give him.

President Trump is bringing greatness to the United States in his actions in the capacity as President. President's Trump's speech, and actions, thus far, and his agenda to help the people of the United States, is worthy of honor. In the context of obeying our leaders, Paul the Apostle said, "Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour." Romans 16:7

Edited by Alan
changed Bush to Trump

• Members

Pomp and ceremony is pomp and ceremony, isn't it? One of the main reasons for political speeches is for supporters to applaud. If it was about efficient communication, you could just as well not have the speech and put out a transcript for people to read in their own time.

The was a Labour Party conference in UK about ten years ago that was mildly mocked in the papers for having something like 20 standing ovations during the party leader's speech.

• Members
19 hours ago, Alan said:

But, I think the comparison between the applause given to the speech given by President Bush and the applause given by any ruler in North Korea that Invicta mentioned is not a just comparison. The actions, belief, policies, greatness, and help to the people of America by President Trump, and the actions, belief, policies, and lack of greatness by the leader of North Korea is not a fair comparison between the two leaders. Again, I think the comparison was in error.

Bro Alan, it was indended to be tounge in cheek, sorry I didn't malke it plain. 

Edited by Invicta