• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hello from a Catholic Teen

ialsop

• Members

Hello all. 

I am a teen raised in a Catholic home. One parent converted from Lutheranism, another from a pentacostal church. Unlike most kids my age, I got VERY into theology and reading about faith. I read myself into the ultra-traditionalist Catholic groups and have been SUPER devoted to Mary and super Latin-Mass obsessed. 

Now, I have been reading several Jack Hyles sermons online. I realize now that Catholicism is false but don't know where to go from there. I want to be a true Christian and came here to seek help with that. 

• Members

Where to go?  Read the Bible, then read the Bible, then read the Bible.  Study for yourself.  Read the Gospel of John and then the Apostle Pauls epistles (letters). Get some good study tools (Good Bible Dictionary, Strongs Concordance, Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, etc).

Don't trust in any man until you know he is sound and you know you can trust his writings/teachings. That will only come from comparing his words to Scripture.  

And even those you feel you can depend on... well, they won't be right all the time.

Bible, Bible, and then more Bible!

Good to have you in forums.  Welcome.

Edited by 1611mac

• Members

There are people here who are happy to answer any questions, but as just advised, check everything against the Bible.

Acts17

10  And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.

11  These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Note here that Even the Apostle Paul commended these people for testing his own preaching against the written Word of God.

That, and nothing else and no one else, is your authority.

• Members

Welcome!

It is our hope that we can have some fine discussions with one another and be a blessing to one another.

Have you started to attend a good Independent Baptist Church? Is there one in your area?

All of us would be glad to help, and encourage, you as much as we can.

Alan

• Members

ialsop,

Welcome to the forum friend. If I may interject one more piece of advice...make sure the Bible that you use is a King James Bible. As a Catholic, you may have a New American Bible, New Jerusalem Bible, Ignatius (Revised Standard Version), or even a Douay-Rheims. In your search for truth, the King James Bible will give you that truth. 

• Members
13 hours ago, 1611mac said:

Where to go?  Read the Bible, then read the Bible, then read the Bible.  Study for yourself.  Read the Gospel of John and then the Apostle Pauls epistles (letters). Get some good study tools (Good Bible Dictionary, Strongs Concordance, Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, etc).

Don't trust in any man until you know he is sound and you know you can trust his writings/teachings. That will only come from comparing his words to Scripture.  

And even those you feel you can depend on... well, they won't be right all the time.

Bible, Bible, and then more Bible!

Good to have you in forums.  Welcome.

About Bibles, does the translation matter? 

13 hours ago, Alan said:

Welcome!

It is our hope that we can have some fine discussions with one another and be a blessing to one another.

Have you started to attend a good Independent Baptist Church? Is there one in your area?

All of us would be glad to help, and encourage, you as much as we can.

Alan

I haven't really looked, since my parents would never allow me to attend one. They have been very consistent in taking the family to Sunday Mass and wouldn't allow for anything different. Would it be wrong to study from home, until I have my own freedoms? 

6 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

ialsop,

Welcome to the forum friend. If I may interject one more piece of advice...make sure the Bible that you use is a King James Bible. As a Catholic, you may have a New American Bible, New Jerusalem Bible, Ignatius (Revised Standard Version), or even a Douay-Rheims. In your search for truth, the King James Bible will give you that truth. 

That answers the question from above, thank you. 

Edited by ialsop

• Moderators
3 hours ago, ialsop said:

I haven't really looked, since my parents would never allow me to attend one. They have been very consistent in taking the family to Sunday Mass and wouldn't allow for anything different. Would it be wrong to study from home, until I have my own freedoms? 

No, that would not be wrong. It would of course be best for you to be able to learn and grow under good Bible teaching, but that isn't always an option (especially when you're young). We have a young fellow in our church that was raised Lutheran, but his family were church-goers only, and were not saved. He began studying the Bible, and came and found our church. He wanted to be baptized in obedience to Christ, and join the church, but his family were very against it. He chose to honour them by waiting until he turned 18, at which time he was baptized (which event they attended!), joined the church, and has been faithful ever since. He did have the advantage that they allowed him to visit our church before that time.

• Members

Welcome from England.  Many preachers will say you have to believe what they teach.  Don't beleive them if you cannot find what they say in the scripture.  A good preacher will say, "If you cannot find what I say in the bible, don't believe me."  The apostle Paul says in his first epistle to the Thessalonians 5:20  "Despise not prophesyings.21  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good."

• Members
5 hours ago, ialsop said:

About Bibles, does the translation matter? 

Welcome ialsop.  You will find that there are a number of members here that are ex Catholics.  I am one myself.   We believe that the King James Bible is the only version of the Bible, in the English language, that contains the perfectly preserved words of God.  If you can't afford a higher quality (and more durable) leather one, you can find a very inexpensive copy at most dollar stores.  You can download a free copy here: KJV Download, use a searchable online version here: KJV Online, or download a free program here: KJV Bible Program.

All of us here have a profound love for the KJV and will be more than happy to discuss things with you and answer any questions you have.

• Members
6 hours ago, ialsop said:

Ialsop,

As Salyan said, as long as you are under your parents rule (until 18),  you need to obey them in this matter. Until you leave your house, or until your parents change their minds, I do not think it would be wrong to study from home. Maybe you can make it a personal prayer that the Lord will change your parents heart and allow you to find a different church (an independent, fundamental, Baptist Church).

Here on OnLine Baptist there are some fine Bible studies, devotions, different Bible subjects, that are continually being discussed. Why not start here? Sometimes, due to different opinions, backgrounds, and level of Christian maturity, the subjects can be difficult to understand and accept. And, at times, due to different reasons, we could be more gracious with one another. So, you will have to accept our personal problems as well. But, at times, I am sure you will be able to learn a lot.

It is our hope that the Lord will help you and guide you as you seek the truth of the scriptures.

Alan

• Members
On 2/24/2017 at 7:01 PM, ialsop said:

Hello all. 

I am a teen raised in a Catholic home. One parent converted from Lutheranism, another from a pentacostal church. Unlike most kids my age, I got VERY into theology and reading about faith. I read myself into the ultra-traditionalist Catholic groups and have been SUPER devoted to Mary and super Latin-Mass obsessed. 

Now, I have been reading several Jack Hyles sermons online. I realize now that Catholicism is false but don't know where to go from there. I want to be a true Christian and came here to seek help with that. 

Welcome to the forum. Let me first say, I applaud you for  asking questions about your parents faith, and seeking to find the truth. I can't think of anything more noble than searching for the truth about our Creator. Sadly, most people your age are giving up on their faith altogether and have no desire for "truth".

I have observed that all false forms of Christianity deviate by adding human ideas into their beliefs. The Latter day Saints have added another book of false scripture along with following teachings of man that they call their modern day "Prophet". The Watchtower Society claims they offer free Bible studies, but in reality the so called study is using a book with their own false teaching and only use the Bible by pointing out isolated scriptures to prove their own beliefs. The Catholics do it by adding tradition even when it contradicts clear Biblical teachings.

Like the posts before mine say....the Bible is the only source for spiritual truth.

Even a novice Bible student soon realizes that context is the key.

Remember this - A text without a context is a pretext for a proof text.

• Members

Ialsop,

Welcome my young friend.  There are many here in the forums who will be more than happy to help you with questions you have.  There is a book written by Cary Schmidt entitled “Done” that will help answer some of the more common questions for a new believer.  It is a very inexpensive book and will help you greatly. 

I would encourage you to read the book of John in the New Testament and a chapter in Proverbs each day.  You will need to develop both wisdom and understanding and there is no better book to read and memorize then the book of Proverbs. 

Finally, there are some wonderful sermons online that you can listen two on a weekly basis to help in your growth.  Here is our church website where you can get great messages each week.  Check out the web site and listen to a few of our pastor’s messages.   Our theme this years is great faith and our pastor will be preaching through Romans and 1st and 2nd Corinthians.

http://www.cbcponca.org/

• Members
5 hours ago, Orval said:

Ialsop,

Welcome my young friend.  There are many here in the forums who will be more than happy to help you with questions you have.  There is a book written by Cary Schmidt entitled “Done” that will help answer some of the more common questions for a new believer.  It is a very inexpensive book and will help you greatly. 

I would encourage you to read the book of John in the New Testament and a chapter in Proverbs each day.  You will need to develop both wisdom and understanding and there is no better book to read and memorize then the book of Proverbs. 

Finally, there are some wonderful sermons online that you can listen two on a weekly basis to help in your growth.  Here is our church website where you can get great messages each week.  Check out the web site and listen to a few of our pastor’s messages.   Our theme this years is great faith and our pastor will be preaching through Romans and 1st and 2nd Corinthians.

http://www.cbcponca.org/

I absolutely agree with Brother Orval in recommending the book "Done". I was actually looking for my copy of it this morning before I replied to your post. I was intending to use one of the plethora of quotes in the book to share with you. 

If you are unable to get a copy I would be more than happy to send you one. I've seen a whole stack of extra copies in our Outreach Pastors office, and could get you one free of charge.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

welcome my friend, the key to everything you need to remember is what you have already displayed ; honesty.

If a person is honest with God in their heart and really desire truth God will tear down mountains to make sure they

get truth. Our Lord paid the ultimate price for your soul and would not leave you confused about it .That is a promise!

Just stay honest in your heart and humble and the Lord will send the help you need . I just joined the forum myself but from

reading what little I have, I can tell the Lord has directed you to a good starting place. Be blessed. Pastor Coley