• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

MacArthur

DaveW

• Members

Isn't a witness someone who provides testimony based upon personal knowledge? If so, then to witness to someone is to give testimonial to the truth of the gospel. I honestly don't see its misuse.

Acts 26:22-23

22  Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:

23  That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

• Members
22 hours ago, wretched said:

Please consider that the english word is more than sufficient (as always IMO). Ordained in any tense or usage requires a volunteer to agree to it. It never means nor implies against the will of an individual. God simply knows who all the voluntary believers are throughout history who are ordained to everlasting life.

The same explanation goes for the Lord Jesus Christ who the Father always knew would willingly be our Savior.

wretched,

This is something that I still struggle with. I know that you and I have had our differences in the past, but believe it or not, I have the utmost respect for you. I find your down-to-earth and blunt posts to be both refreshing and a blessing (at times...LOL!). As I've said before, I most certainly believe that if all one has is the KJV, that's all they need. At the same time, I also believe that if one has access to "other" study aides, they are of certain benefit. At this point in my Christian walk, I rely first and foremost upon the KJV. My first move (when encountering something that I feel deserves more study) is to try to see what "something" meant in the 1600's. If that doesn't "pan out", I will research the Greek/Hebrew. 

I hope the Lord gives you a blessed day dear brother!

• Members
1 minute ago, No Nicolaitans said:

wretched,

This is something that I still struggle with. I know that you and I have had our differences in the past, but believe it or not, I have the utmost respect for you. I find your down-to-earth and blunt posts to be both refreshing and a blessing (at times...LOL!). As I've said before, I most certainly believe that if all one has is the KJV, that's all they need. At the same time, I also believe that if one has access to "other" study aides, they are of certain benefit. At this point in my Christian walk, I rely first and foremost upon the KJV. My first move (when encountering something that I feel deserves more study) is to try to see what "something" meant in the 1600's. If that doesn't "pan out", I will research the Greek/Hebrew. 

I hope the Lord gives you a blessed day dear brother!

Understood brother and your Christlike attitude is always a blessing!

• Members
18 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I'd stinkin' hug you if I could!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honesty though NN, I am guessing you don't feel Christ-like on this forum sometimes when having to re-explain things to Calvinists, etc.. but you come across as patient and kind and that is what counts.

I myself, am still working on it with the Spirit :4_2_109v:

• Members
33 minutes ago, wretched said:

Understood brother and your Christlike attitude is always a blessing!

10 minutes ago, wretched said:

Honesty though NN, I am guessing you don't feel Christ-like on this forum sometimes when having to re-explain things to Calvinists, etc.. but you come across as patient and kind and that is what counts.

I wish to express my agreement with Brother "Wretched" on this point.

• Members
13 minutes ago, wretched said:

I myself, am still working on it with the Spirit :4_2_109v:

2 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

I wish to express my agreement with Brother "Wretched" on this point.

Who? Me?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the song goes..."He's still working on me..."

• Members
On 13/04/2017 at 2:19 AM, No Nicolaitans said:

Isn't a witness someone who provides testimony based upon personal knowledge? If so, then to witness to someone is to give testimonial to the truth of the gospel. I honestly don't see its misuse.

Acts 26:22-23

22  Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:

23  That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

Would seem so considering the verse you quoted.  But witness is to see or experience something and to testifie is to bear witness, I believe.

• Members
19 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Would seem so considering the verse you quoted.  But witness is to see or experience something and to testifie is to bear witness, I believe.

My personal take on it is that "witness" applies to both seeing/experiencing something...and...to testify about something. For example...

To testify...

Acts 4:33
And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.

To see/experience something...

Acts 5:32
And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

• Members

Hello to all,

I have had ample time to think and pray while enjoying vacation and during this time I have realized that I have too many irons in the fire.  I do want to pursue Brother Scott and I's conversation but feel it is counter productive concerning other things I need to get done.  It is garden time, my book beckons and speaking invitations increase this time of year and it seems I will need to take a part time job if my wife and I wish to continue traveling on occasion. 

I ask for your forgiveness, but I will lay aside the topic of election for a couple of months and perhaps reconnect with Brother Scott later in the summer.  I will continue to be active on the forum but only every few days.

• Members

1 John 4

4 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.

We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

I just can't see how a man can love people, and tell them that the God of the Bible may or may not love them and may or may not have died for them. I don't see how his WORDS can TRULY confess the Jesus Christ of John 3:16 while his underlying teachings say otherwise.

Edited by heartstrings

• 3 years later...
  • Members

My first thought seeing the title of the thread was "oh no" ,   more posts for that one (mac),  or a thread continuing his (macs) errors (false gospel).    I thought a more apropo title, conveying what is known and posted and published,  would be 'Accursed' or 'Anathema' ,  so as to not (even accidentally) give a false impression or sense of approval nor value nor importance for a false teacher ...     

My second thought,  reading the 1st post, was GOOD, the truth (being or starting to be)  rightly being exposed....

Many other thoughts later, after reading a dozen or three dozen posts in the thread,   I think and/or feel like this:

On 4/12/2017 at 12:51 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

Well, if I were really going to delve further into this (of which I don't have time right now),

[Click and drag to move]

....    and more importantly realizing:  If any man lacks wisdom,  let him ask of God ....

James 1:5 KJV: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of ...

biblehub . com / kjv/ james/1-5.htm
Geneva Study Bible {5} If any of you lack {e} wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.