• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

MacArthur

DaveW

• Members

Because it was asked, and it is not appropriate to further pollute that thread.

5 hours ago, Bob Hutton said:

I would be interested to know why DaveW has warned against John Macarthur.  I don't agree with everything Dr Macarthur teaches but, as a general principle, his ministry has been extremely helpful to me.

MacArthur promotes:

• multiple bible (per)versions.
  • Calvinism (and I don't care what name you put on it).
  • Progressive worship.
  • "Elder rule".
  • Universal church.

Although I wouldn't recommend going to his site, if you do, all these things are cleatly evident.

He does get some things right, but 90% of rat poison is good food - it is the 10% that is dangerous.

• Members
14 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

I agree with the 10% rat poison and have no intentions of listening to John MacArthur. But I would point out that "elders" of New Testament churches is plural, and "elder rule" is biblical.

No argument, but they way it is presented by MacArthur is unbiblical.

• Members
1 hour ago, fastjav390 said:

You are also wrong about the "universal church". 

No I am not. I read it this morning on their website.

They do not call it that, but they teach it.

Just like I don't think you will find the name "Calvin" on their website, they are absolutely Calvinist.

Look, I am not here to rag on MacArthur specifically, but yhe question was asked specifically of me about my general warning.

You can argue about individual points all you like, the guy needs to be taken VERY CAREFULLY, if you want to bother to listen to anything at all from him.

You do what you like.........

• Members

Well, personally Jim I would only take MacArthur to the Rubbish bin, but some here appear determined to defend him and accept him, and hence my warning to be careful IF THEY ARE SO DETERMINED. 

Rat poison will get em if they insist on trying to eat the good bits.

• Members
3 hours ago, DaveW said:

Well, personally Jim I would only take MacArthur to the Rubbish bin, but some here appear determined to defend him and accept him, and hence my warning to be careful IF THEY ARE SO DETERMINED. 

Rat poison will get em if they insist on trying to eat the good bits.

I don't agree with Dr Macarthur on everything but to liken his ministry to "rat poison" is not only extreme but also failing to evince a Christlike spirit.  If you wish to disagree with this dear brother's ministry, and use reasoned arguments in doing so, then that is fine.  However, lashing out with vituperative abuse demeans yourself and the whole concept of the body of Christ.  It also contradicts our Saviour's command to love one another.

I look forward to a sensible and reasoned discussion of Dr Macarthur's ministry.  If you present objections in a responsible manner then I will attempt to answer them.

With sincere regards and much love in Christ,

Bob 

• Members
53 minutes ago, Bob Hutton said:

I don't agree with Dr Macarthur on everything but to liken his ministry to "rat poison" is not only extreme but also failing to evince a Christlike spirit.  If you wish to disagree with this dear brother's ministry, and use reasoned arguments in doing so, then that is fine.  However, lashing out with vituperative abuse demeans yourself and the whole concept of the body of Christ.  It also contradicts our Saviour's command to love one another.

I look forward to a sensible and reasoned discussion of Dr Macarthur's ministry.  If you present objections in a responsible manner then I will attempt to answer them.

With sincere regards and much love in Christ,

Bob 

This is another way to put it.

Mat 7:15

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

2 Corinthians 11:

14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Bob, Calvinism is a doctrine of devils. It makes God out to be a selfish monster. In that sense it is blasphemy against God as it presents the nature and character of God as such. "and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man" the Bible says.  People like MacArthur present it as something glorious and good when it is really disgusting. Even LOST people can see it for what it is. So, yeah, when a man teaches all kinds of "good" stuff while pushing evil, I would compare it to rat poison. Jesus just called it being a wolf in sheep clothing.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Trouble reading Bob?

Or are you only interested bagging me?

16 hours ago, DaveW said:

Because it was asked, and it is not appropriate to further pollute that thread.

MacArthur promotes:

• multiple bible (per)versions.
  • Calvinism (and I don't care what name you put on it).
  • Progressive worship.
  • "Elder rule".
  • Universal church.

Although I wouldn't recommend going to his site, if you do, all these things are cleatly evident.

He does get some things right, but 90% of rat poison is good food - it is the 10% that is dangerous.

How much false teaching warrants a warning in your eyes?

Hey, enjoy yourself, just chew carefully.

I gave my warning, noted some points - I'm done here I think.

Not interested in arguing.

Edited by DaveW

• Members
30 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

This is another way to put it.

Mat 7:15

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

2 Corinthians 11:

14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Bob, Calvinism is a doctrine of devils. It makes God out to be a selfish monster. In that sense it is blasphemy against God as it presents the nature and character of God as such. "and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man" the Bible says.  People like MacArthur present it as something glorious and good when it is really disgusting. Even LOST people can see it for what it is. So, yeah, when a man teaches all kinds of "good" stuff while pushing evil, I would compare it to rat poison. Jesus just called it being a wolf in sheep clothing.

Whether or not Calvinism is a "doctrine of devils" is  a matter of opinion and interpretation.  There are many preachers who hold to a form of Calvinistic theology, are they all guilty of spreading poison?

I also believe that you will win more people to agree with you if you show a little more Christlikeness, and adopt a less abusive manner. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with Calvinism (indeed, I did for many years until I read the Bible properly) but a little more of a reasoned attitude would be helpful to yourself and others.

With kind regards to you, dear brother,

Bob

33 minutes ago, DaveW said:

Trouble reading Bob?

Or are you only interested bagging me?

How much false teaching warrants a warning in your eyes?

Hey, enjoy yourself, just chew carefully.

I gave my warning, noted some points - I'm done here I think.

Not interested in arguing.

No, dear brother, I'm not interested in "bagging" you but simply encourage you to be a little less angry, and a little more gentle as Christ is to all of us.

• Administrators

Rat poison is an apt illustration in this instance. I have used this illustration in teaching about avoiding false teaching.

Gal 5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth? 
 8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you. 
 9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

The Apostle Paul had no problem addressing things of this nature.

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 
 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

The issue of following after, or reading after men of doubtful beliefs is exactly why I warned about this practice in another thread. It is dangerous and unnecessary to expose ourselves to teaching outside of our local churches.
 1Tim 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

As for " failing to evince a Christlike spirit ", I would submit this:  Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 
 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 

It would seem that a "Christ like spirit" would include warning against heresy. There are many times in Scripture that Christ was less than "gentle" when the issue was false teaching and teachers.

• Members
23 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Rat poison is an apt illustration in this instance. I have used this illustration in teaching about avoiding false teaching.

Gal 5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth? 
 8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you. 
 9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

The Apostle Paul had no problem addressing things of this nature.

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 
 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

The issue of following after, or reading after men of doubtful beliefs is exactly why I warned about this practice in another thread. It is dangerous and necessary to expose ourselves to teaching outside of our local churches.
 1Tim 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

As for " failing to evince a Christlike spirit ", I would submit this:  Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 
 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 

It would seem that a "Christ like spirit" would include warning against heresy. There are many times in Scripture that Christ was less than "gentle" when the issue was false teaching and teachers.

What you describe as "false teaching" other believers would call the truth.  None of us has a monopoly on truth when it comes to secondary issues, and Calvinism comes into that category.  Over the centuries much harm has been done to the cause of Christ by believers being angry with each other, and even abusive to each other, over secondary issues.

By all means enter into meaningful debate about these matters, but please avoid descending to the level of playground name calling.  Remember we are called to love one another.

kind regards to you, dear brother,

Bob

• Administrators

Bro. bob, our local churches do have a monopoly on the truth as evidenced by my Scripture quote above. As for name calling, where do you see any name calling in my reply?

Jesus and Paul recorded what I quoted as Scripture, are you saying that Scripture that calls false teaching what it is, is name calling?

Another observation: in your reply you seem to be categorizing Calvinism as "the truth", since you said that it falls into the category of "the truth".

When it comes to the truth, I see no "secondary" truths, it is either truth or it is a lie, there is no middle ground between the truth and a lie.

Let's get one other thing straight, I am not angry, neither is it anger when a person calls out false teaching. It just seems to me that liberals in general, (not pointing to you) will categorize any argument against their view as "anger". This is especially true in the political realm.

You have indicated on your profile that you are Independent Baptist. Your argument in this thread in defense of MacArthur and Calvinism is not consistent with Independent Baptist belief and teaching. How do you reconcile the two opposites?

• Members
1 minute ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Bro. bob, our local churches do have a monopoly on the truth as evidence by my Scripture quote above. As for name calling, where do you see any name calling in my reply?

Jesus and Paul recorded what I quoted as Scripture, are you saying that Scripture that calls false teaching what it is, is name calling?

Another observation: in your reply you seem to be categorizing Calvinism as "the truth", since you said that it falls into the category of "the truth".

When it comes to the truth, I see no "secondary" truths, it is either truth or it is a lie, there is no middle ground between the truth and a lie.

Let's get one other thing straight, I am not angry, neither is it anger when a person calls out false teaching. It just seems to me that liberals in general, (not pointing to you) will categorize any argument against their view as "anger". This is especially true in the political realm.

You have indicated on your profile that you are Independent Baptist. Your argument in this thread in defense of MacArthur and Calvinism is not consistent with Independent Baptist belief and teaching. How do you reconcile the two opposites?

Bless you, dear brother for taking the trouble to reply.

I'm sure there are independent Baptist churches that hold to Calvinism.  It really is a secondary issue and not worth getting worked up over.

Kind regards

Bob