• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

And so this happened...

• Administrators

Thank you for the update and good news LuAnne. I will add Randy's brother to my prayer list.

The doctor probably told Randy about the importance of walking. But if he didn't I would encourage him to walk on a regular schedule. In cases of swelling of the legs and feet walking acts like a pump. The act of walking compresses tissue and blood vessels and actually pumps blood over and above what the heart does. It can be extremely beneficial.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Thank you for the update and good news LuAnne. I will add Randy's brother to my prayer list.

The doctor probably told Randy about the importance of walking. But if he didn't I would encourage him to walk on a regular schedule. In cases of swelling of the legs and feet walking acts like a pump. The act of walking compresses tissue and blood vessels and actually pumps blood over and above what the heart does. It can be extremely beneficial.

Yes, the emergency room doc actually explained it on Wednesday. He said that the heart pumps the blood one way, but on the Venae side, muscles constrict to pump it along so walking is necessary to get those muscles constricting.  Randy does walk, but he's going to have to increase it. He loves mowing during mowing season. Since there is about an acre of grass to mow here, he walks a lot during the summer. But I'm not sure even that is going to be enough. We plan to adopt a progressively increasing walking program once he's able to motivate a bit better.

My borther-in-law was put on Zarelto. His wife told me her grandmother took Coumadin and ended up with a brain bleed. Scary...but I've been looking into things and apparently any of the blood thinners can cause a bleed - but a bleed on warfarin is more quickly controlled than the newer thinners. 

• Administrators

Well, I come to you this morning after shedding a few tears...Randy called me before we headed out to let me know he can't come home today.

Last night when I called him to tell him good night, he couldn't talk so told me to call him later. I did. Apparently his heart rate had risen too high (and all he was doing was lying in bed) and so they were doing whatever tests they can do at bedside and without a doctor. They couldn't figure it out. And he hadn't felt any different. We said good night still thinking we'd see each other this morning.

So it happened again...and at 4 this morning they hooked him back up to his IV, took him off food and drink, and moved him to another room where he can be monitored more closely. I want to call him again, but I'm kind of putting it off hoping that the weekend doc visits him so there is something to know.

I have to admit that I am a bit scared. I am comforted in the fact that God isn't surprised - and that this took place while Randy was there in the hospital. Who knows the results if he were at home? If he couldn't tell his heart rate was too high, we wouldn't know to take him to the doctor! And I'm comforted knowing that people are praying. 

I know folks are in church this morning so probably won't be reading this any time soon. I will update as I get more news.  Thank you for praying.

• Members
2 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Heart rate has gone back to normal. He is being moved to a regular room. The doc has to consult with a cardiologist to find out why this happened.

Great news. I know this is difficult for you too. I'm praying for all of you and Everett too. Remember those doctors are given knowledge by the grace of God. I'm praying for God's wisdom and knowledge for the doctors too.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Great news. I know this is difficult for you too. I'm praying for all of you and Everett too. Remember those doctors are given knowledge by the grace of God. I'm praying for God's wisdom and knowledge for the doctors too.

Thank you for praying. I am thankful for the knowledge God has allowed doctors to have. I think this is harder for me right now because he's over there and I can't get there now. I can't stay with him because they moved him to a shared room. And to just go and return is too expensive. But that, too, did not take God by surprise. 

I feel rather like he and I are on parallel roller coasters...

• Administrators

Most recent update: Randy had a sonogram on his heart. It was strong and in good rhythm. That is good news. As long as things go well, we should be able to pick him up tomorrow. 

I don't know what's happening with this family, though...first Randy, then his brother Everett, and now his cousin Eddie. Eddie does not have blood clots. He was admitted to the hospital with 103 degree fever, high blood pressure, and low potassium. On top of his diabetes (he's Randy's cousin on Randy's dad's side, hence the diabetes but not the factorV). They think it might be a virus and are keeping him overnight. Would you mind saying a prayer for him?  Thanks.

• Administrators

We were able to bring Randy home yesterday. It was late in the day when we finally got here, but praise the Lord! He has to go in tomorrow and get his INR checked so he can begin getting regulated on his warfarin. We aren't able to find a primary care physician right now, so he's going through the Urgent Care here. There is one place that he can apply to and maybe in 8-10 weeks he can get a doctor. Unless he wants to pay $65/month for a concierge doctor who then charges anywhere from $34-$248 per office visit. sigh... 

I would appreciate (I'm saying this an awful lot lately) continued prayer. For him - he has to walk often and it is still very painful; for his meds adjustment; and for our finances. We do not have insurance at this time and so we are rather flattened with this.  Randy's hours have been cut of late, even before this. And I have just found out that the second girl I homeschool may not be coming back - very little money from that, but it helped a bit. But we know our Father is in control and is more than able to help us. Hence the request for prayer.