• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

And so this happened...

• Administrators

His walking gait is much better today - still a good ways away from being back to normal, but it's coming! He was not able to go to church this morning, because the way the church is set up, he couldn't prop his leg (a couple of the ladies talked about bringing in an armchair for him). Also, since it would involve several hours of weird sitting, he thought it probably wouldn't be wise.  So he live-streamed the sermon from the church we attended in IN. Interestingly enough, both messages touched on Esther.

Anyway, since we don't have a pastor yet, when someone wants to be baptized and/or when we have the Lord's Table, the pastor who helped found the church helps out.  There were two folks who needed to be baptized, and so we trooped over to the other church for the baptism and partook of communion.  Randy was able to go with us! Simple thing, but such a blessing!

Since we began attending the church, 5 people have joined (of course, that counts us). The first people to join since the previous pastor left 4ish years ago. Talk about excited to see that the church is moving forward!

• Administrators

I am coming to you again, asking prayer for my brother-in-law Everett once again. He is on his way to the hospital as I type this. They found another blood clot, this one on the lung. They live in OH, and we are clear here in WA, so it's hard on my hubs to be so far away. However, we have a prayer-hearing and a prayer-answering God. Everett is saved, and we are thankful for that. 

I believe I mentioned before that Randy's oldest brother died from a pulmonary embolism a number of years back. I would ask that you pray that God spare this brother. And that they will be drawn closer to God through this. Thanks.

• Administrators

Randy goes in for another lab this morning. His number was up yesterday, so the woman told him he would likely be done with the injections he's had to give himself twice a day. Enoxaparin is what he's been injecting - it's a bridge from the Heparin to just Warfarin. It is REALLY expensive, so we are most certainly hoping and praying that he doesn't have to continue with it.

I got an update on my brother-in-law, Everett.  This is from my sister-in-law, Kim:

"For those who are attached to a prayer chain please put Everett DePriest on your list of folks to pray for.. he requested to have people pray for him. He has a blood clot in his right lung and now they have also found a mass in the same lung. Along with the 3blood clots in his left arm. 
I have no doubt the Lord is able to take care of every issue. I am in expectation of answered prayers! Thank you everyone!"

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:59 PM, HappyChristian said:

I am coming to you again, asking prayer for my brother-in-law Everett once again. He is on his way to the hospital as I type this. They found another blood clot, this one on the lung. They live in OH, and we are clear here in WA, so it's hard on my hubs to be so far away. However, we have a prayer-hearing and a prayer-answering God. Everett is saved, and we are thankful for that. 

I believe I mentioned before that Randy's oldest brother died from a pulmonary embolism a number of years back. I would ask that you pray that God spare this brother. And that they will be drawn closer to God through this. Thanks.

LuAnne, is he anywhere near Belpre where you used to teach? I'll be praying and if you need someone to visit him, I may be able to go.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, HappyChristian said:

Randy goes in for another lab this morning. His number was up yesterday, so the woman told him he would likely be done with the injections he's had to give himself twice a day. Enoxaparin is what he's been injecting - it's a bridge from the Heparin to just Warfarin. It is REALLY expensive, so we are most certainly hoping and praying that he doesn't have to continue with it.

I got an update on my brother-in-law, Everett.  This is from my sister-in-law, Kim:

"For those who are attached to a prayer chain please put Everett DePriest on your list of folks to pray for.. he requested to have people pray for him. He has a blood clot in his right lung and now they have also found a mass in the same lung. Along with the 3blood clots in his left arm. 
I have no doubt the Lord is able to take care of every issue. I am in expectation of answered prayers! Thank you everyone!"

I'll be praying for Randy and Everett.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

LuAnne, is he anywhere near Belpre where you used to teach? I'll be praying and if you need someone to visit him, I may be able to go.

I'll be praying for Randy and Everett.

He actually lives in Circleville, which is just south of Columbus. Thank you so much for praying.

Everett came home from the hospital, and they have him on anti-coagulants to help dissolve the clots. They will be doing a pet scan on the mass - at this point they don't think it's cancer. So we are thankful about that!

Randy was able to go to church last night. And he's done with the injections! Praise the Lord! He didn't have a lab today or yesterday, either. Tomorrow will be another lab, and hopefully they will be able to set the amount of Warfarin he'll need on a permanent basis. 

He is walking better, and the pain that causes him to have to stop and rest is lessening as well. Praise the Lord for improvement!

We still haven't found a doctor, though. Crazy, in this area there are doctors and medical groups all over the place and we can't find one. sigh. But the Lord knows...

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:28 PM, HappyChristian said:

He actually lives in Circleville, which is just south of Columbus. Thank you so much for praying.

Everett came home from the hospital, and they have him on anti-coagulants to help dissolve the clots. They will be doing a pet scan on the mass - at this point they don't think it's cancer. So we are thankful about that!

Randy was able to go to church last night. And he's done with the injections! Praise the Lord! He didn't have a lab today or yesterday, either. Tomorrow will be another lab, and hopefully they will be able to set the amount of Warfarin he'll need on a permanent basis. 

He is walking better, and the pain that causes him to have to stop and rest is lessening as well. Praise the Lord for improvement!

We still haven't found a doctor, though. Crazy, in this area there are doctors and medical groups all over the place and we can't find one. sigh. But the Lord knows...

Praise God. Still praying.

• Administrators

And now, praise the Lord! - my hubs has insurance! The hospital he was in has a great charity program, but they want to see patients who have no insurance at least attempt to get it. The attempt worked! Randy is now insured, and so between that and the hospital charity, the bills will - hopefully - be manageable. Having insurance might make it easier to find a primary care doc, too.

Randy is planning on being in both morning services tomorrow, as long as the pain continues to lessen (one service if not). And then, prayerfully, tomorrow night he will resume teaching the soulwinning class. 

We've had no further word on Everett, but that old saying, "no news is good news" comes to mind. 

Again, thanks so much for praying. It is very appreciated.

• Members

Wonderful news!

The Lord has blessed Randy, and you, in having the hospital bills more manageable, and in his ability to walk around, and continue life. God did answer the prayers of the saints.

Glad to hear that Randy is resuming the work of the Lord at church. I am sure that he is fine example to all the folks that hear him.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

It's been over a month since I updated, so I thought I'd catch everyone up. 

First, the cost...Randy was approved for the hospital charity. Since he has insurance, they have submitted the bills to the insurance, and what that doesn't take care of, the hospital will. WHAT A BLESSING! 

On March 6, we took a trip over to Seattle for doctor check-ups. We knew it would be an entire day because there were three doctors he had to see. First, he saw the vascular surgeon. The doc was pleased with the progress. He did want Randy to have an ultrasound, but since Randy had two other appointments that day, the ultrasound would have to wait and be done here because it was a lengthy test. 

Next we went to the hematologist. It took quite a while, because that doc was so backed up. He told Randy that it was likely Randy had Factor V. He had several tubes of blood taken for the testing he had to do. The doc told us to call him in two weeks and that the results should be in.

Then we were off to the cardiologist. Randy had to see him because of the two tachycardia events he experienced the night of the surgery. The cardio said that he thought the tachycardia was most likely a result of the surgery and the possibility that some of the clot particles passed from his lungs to his heart (such wonderful news to hear...). When he found out that Randy's dad had a heart attack when he was just 3 years older than Randy is now, he decided that he wanted to check the cholesterol and lipid levels in Randy's blood. So he had the hematologist tack those tests on to the blood already drawn. He wants Randy to wear a heart monitor for a couple of weeks in May so that he can get a sense of his normal rhythm. We are hoping that he will be able to be taken off the beta blocker after that.

So we fast forward to today. When we called the hematologist, there was still one result he was waiting on. He called Randy on Tuesday night. Randy does, indeed, have Factor V Leiden Deficiency. With it being genetic, our son needs to be tested to see if he has it as well. But the doc said something else as well. And here we go with things not taking God by surprise...

The doctor saw signs of Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS). The doc called it Lupus Anti-coagulant Disease (same thing). It is not the Lupus that causes renal failure, but there are many people who have Lupus that have APS. APS is an auto-immune disease that causes extra blood clotting. The clots with this are usually in the lower limbs and causes dark purple veins and ulcers on the legs (bingo for Randy - his right leg developed an ulcer after the clot he had about 25 years ago, and both of his feet are dark, with very purple veins). The regimen for APS is virtually identical to what he is currently doing, so that's good at this point. It is scary to think that he has two clotting issues. 

INR is supposed to be between 2-3. Lower than 2 allows clotting, higher than 3 can bring a brain bleed. Until we can talk to the blood doc, I assume that this remains true if he does have APS as well as Factor V. APS is more noted for causing stroke, too.

The hematologist wants him to head back over to Seattle sometime in May for another blood test, this time to test specifically for APS.

He had the ultrasound, but apparently it wasn't complete, so he has to go in this next Tuesday for the rest of it. Then I hope we'll find out the results.

Prayer is still appreciated. He has to be careful of being on his leg too long - it begins to hurt and he has to prop it.  

Thanks!