• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

And so this happened...

• Members
1 hour ago, HappyChristian said:

What do folks who don't have the Lord and praying friends DO?

Wonderful words and thoughts. The Lord has blessed you.

I will be praying for all of you this morning during my devotions.

May the Lord bless your husband, you, and your mom during this time of ill health.

Edited by Alan
deleted a phrase

• Administrators

Surgery has been moved to mid-afternoon. And the doc told Randy that he'd have to stay in hospital for 3-4 days for monitoring. He was scheduled to preach on Sunday morning, so that's got to change. And he's off work, too - with no sick pay. Again, this didn't take God by surprise.

• Administrators

I got home late tonight, had to fill in for my pastor. I just read about Randy, it was a shock even this far away. I will be in constant prayer for this situation LuAnne until you update us. You are right, this doesn't take God by surprise. As emotional as it is, it may be a blessing in disguise because of the timing, it could have been a lot worse since Diabetes is involved.

• Members

I just saw this and I'm so thankful I can join in prayer with everyone. I remember when your Dad went to glory.

Two years ago my wife had a pulmonary embolism (I was away from OB posting). Collapsed in the floor at our home with the wide-eyed grand young'uns watching. She had blood clots in her lungs, an enlarged right ventricle, and they found the main culprit, blood clots in the back of her knee. She was as close to death as a person can be, but God didn't take her. God answers prayers, sometimes the answers are yes and sometimes no. Thank God his answer to us that time was yes.

She has an IVC filter now and she's on xarelto. But, she is with me praise God.

LuAnne, I will be praying for Randy.

• Administrators

What a wonderful blessing and answer to prayer LuAnne. In reading over your latest update I was a bit concerned about Randy having to be on Coumadin for the rest of his life.

Many years ago my wife had a problem which required Coumadin after surgery. It was so long ago that I don't remember the exact circumstances, but the Coumadin had very serous consequences and almost killed her. When she recovered she did some research and found that Coumadin was rat poison. I am not trying to second guess the doctors or alarm you, but this raised some alarm bells when I read it. Wondering if there is not another alternative, perhaps there may be other blood thinners now, since our experience was so long ago, or perhaps the medication has undergone changes.

I am continuing in prayer for Randy and also for your peace of mind.

• Administrators

There are other blood thinners (like the heparin he was receiving), but I think coumadin is the most common to go home with. They have removed the IV of heparin and are now giving him coumadin orally, I'm sure to monitor and make sure he has no immediate side effects. Jim, it is my understanding that the reason that it is in some rat poison is that it causes the rats who eat it to bleed to death internally. It does have to be monitored regularly. I guess we'll have to go ahead and find a doctor here (we just haven't done that yet).

So, unless something drastic happens, Randy will be coming home tomorrow! Praise the Lord! He will still have to take it easy, and he has to walk to help the swelling to go down. But I'm so thankful that the doc is pleased enough to send him home. Mom and I will pick him up tomorrow. He's looking forward to getting some rest. LOL

He has to go back next month to do some genetic testing. We are sure they will find that he has at least one gene of the factor5 deficiency. I found out today that Randy's brother didn't die from a heart attack. He died from pulmonary embolism due to factor5 Leidin deficiency. And both of his daughters (and one of each of their daughters) have it. And then we find out today: Randy's younger (#5 of 6) brother had to go to the hospital today...he has three blood clots in his left arm! The doctors didn't keep him, but did give him medicine, so I'm assuming the clots are small enough to dissolve soon. Even so, in the left arm and three of them. Sigh - now I'm more convinced than ever that they all inherited it. I told our son he needs to get tested, too. There are medications that folks with factor5 deficiency can't take. 

Randy was scheduled to preach at church tomorrow morning. We are disappointed, but know that God is in control. His next day is Feb. 26. That is my birthday, so his first sermon at this church on my birthday will be special. =D

I do appreciate the continued prayer. If you could add Everett (Randy's brother with the clots), I would be so grateful.