• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
1 hour ago, fastjav390 said:

Nothing really, except maybe a tract I once read. It asked what you have to do to get to heaven and it had a list of things. There were some Mormon missionaries visiting my parents (both Mormon) and I read it to them. They said "Keep the 10 Commandments" and something else, I don't remember. Then I opened the tract and read it and it said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved...". I remember them looking at each other in stunned silence. I had no idea what the tract was going to say myself. I can't even remember where I got it. But I think that's when the light went on for me.

Fortunately, though I was baptized a Mormon at nine years old I never really got deep into the cult myself. I think because I split time between my dad and stepmom and my mother and when I was with my mother we would occasionally attend a Presbyterian church. It was my mother who first explained to me what sin was when I was around 12. Also, even though my father is a Mormon I really think he's an atheist. I think he just went along with my stepmother to get along. Neither of them really know what Mormons really believe.

Thank you. I most certainly appreciate you taking the time to respond, and the testimonial was a blessing.

• Members
On 2/2/2017 at 11:17 AM, Invicta said:

I looked on mormon.org and couldn't find any mention of Joseph Smith, however I did find the following:

I went to mormon.org, typed "Joseph Smith" in the search bar and it provided pages and pages of results.  Not being about to find mentions of Joseph Smith on the main Mormon site is like not being able to find mention of the virgin Mary on the Vatican's site.

On 2/2/2017 at 2:52 PM, fastjav390 said:

You are thinking about the "salamander letter" which is about how Joseph Smith received the gold plates. Some believe that letter was a fraud itself.

LOL!.......  LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members
33 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

I went to mormon.org, typed "Joseph Smith" in the search bar and it provided pages and pages of results.  Not being about to find mentions of Joseph Smith on the main Mormon site is like not being able to find mentions of the virgin Mary on the Vatican's site.

Oh yes, I didn't notice the search.

I used to be on a site where there was a charismatic who said he took a group of young people to a meeting in Wales, and he said during the meeting they all got gold dust over them but it then disappeared.  I said "Like Joseph Smitth's gold tablets."  He didn't like me comparing him to Joseph Smith, to say the least.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
2 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

Let me clarify. The letter was allegedly written to discredit Joseph Smith but in their zeal to reveal him for the fraud he was the author(s) of the letter made up some fanciful tales themselves. At least this is now what is claimed. You see, the LDS scholars actually believed the letter to be authentic until people began to use the letter to show how loony of a man Joe Smith was. Then all of a sudden they claimed it to be a forgery. 

Edited by fastjav390

• Members
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

Oh yes, I didn't notice the search.

I used to be on a site where there was a charismatic who said he took a group of young people to a meeting in Wales, and he said during the meeting they all got gold dust over them but it then disappeared.  I said "Like Joseph Smitth's gold tablets."  He didn't like me comparing him to Joseph Smith, to say the least.

A few years back a charismatic man claimed this same thing to me. All this gold dust began falling out of the air onto his pastor while he was preaching. This seemed to have been a fad back in the '90's for a time during the "Brownsville Revival" and "Toronto Blessing" rage that was happening. You see a lot of gullible Christians fall into similar fads like the lost do with things like "planking", "twerking" or even "flagpole sitting" of the 1920's.  But with Christians it has a biblical slant. Recent ones I can think of are the "Bible Codes", "Blood Moons" and "7th Shemitah". The thing is I know the man personally and he's a pretty honest man so that's makes me curious just how the pastor pulled the "magic trick" off. I'm more fascinated by that.

• Members
1 hour ago, fastjav390 said:

Are you really "laughing out loud"? 

Yes.  I find the beliefs of Mormonism absolutely hilarious and when I think of people actually believing it and taking it seriously, it makes me audibly laugh.    Then I remember that those people will go to Hell for having those beliefs and I stop laughing.  It's a cycle.

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, DougA said:

Jesus even said in the New Testament when the disciples didn't know what to name the primitive church He told them to name it after Him because if it's named after a man then it's a mans church. If it's named after Jesus the son of God it's His church and His doctrine which all Christian's should follow.

I don't understand where you found this in the New Testament? Not confrontation, I just wanted to know where "Jesus said in the New Testament...to name it after Him because if it's named after a man then it's a mans church."

• Moderators

Some other weird LDS doctrines:

Jesus appeared in the Americas after his resurrection to speak to the remnants of the Israelites living there.

They have an old Egyptian papyrus that they call the Book of Abraham, which is actually a copy of a well-known document from the Egyptian Book of the Dead. They insist it is the writings of Abraham and the drawings in it illustrate things about his life, even though the document is well-known as desribes the supposed journey of the soul. To this day, even though it is clearly disproven, they still insist this is what it is, even declaring that while the WORDS may say one thing, the MEANING was given by God so that Smith understood it a different way.

Jehovah has physical sex with Mary to produce Jesus, (ignoring the Bible's clear truth that it was the work of the Holy Ghost, a spiritual work, not physical.) And of course, that God the father dwells in a body of flesh, despite the clear teaching that God is a Spirit and has no physical body.

• Members

It's much easier for a rebellious sinner to follow after a man than having faith in God through Jesus Christ.  This is why Satan has created so many man-made religions and all are based on a works-based salvation.  Some folks just cannot fathom having to answer to their Creator and believe they can establish their righteousness before a Holy God on the day of their judgement!  What fools!  Instead, they'll be on their knees before a thrice Holy God before being tossed into the Lake of Fire.  How terrifying a thought!

The most terrifying words in the bible, "...I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” - Matthew 7:23

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
You have asked some good questions. You have raised several points that are difficult to fully explain on a forum, but I think I can help you find some of the answers. I am an exmormon as well, and understand it's not easy to find a new faith without some doubts.

I think the first several questions are bothering you more than they should, because your LDS theology seems to have become a little rusty since you left.

"Everyone that I know in the Baptist Church has said that Jesus was pre-ordained to save us from our sins but no one wants to take knowledge that He was there before the world was formed. Also the fact that Genesis states there was more than one dirty speaking in the garden to Adam and Eve. It states Man has now become like us. We shall make man in our image. Who is God talking to if Jesus wasn't born yet? The Bible if you look up the names of Jesus in Hebrew states that Jesus was the one who Moses spoke to on mount  sinai."

Let's start with the pre-ordination of Jesus to "atone" for our sins. Mormonism also teaches that Jesus was pre ordained (although distorted) to be the "Savior". One of the first "gospel principles" of Mormonism is the belief that every person on earth existed as spirit sons and daughters as a Heavenly family before we chose to come to the earth as a trial of Heavenly Fathers "Plan of Salvation". When our Heavenly Father called a council in heaven our spirit brothers Jesus and Lucifer both volunteered to to come to the earth to be our Savior, but Jesus ultimately was chosen as the pre ordained winner. (This belief is found in the book of Abraham in the Pearl of Great Price).
The official teaching of the LDS church is that Jesus is the Jehovah of the Old Testament (Heavenly Father is referred to as - Elohim). Jesus is considered the creator of the earth and all physical life as we know it, but Mormons believe he still has a father superior to him (Elohim). When God is speaking to men in the Bible it's Jesus himself (Jehovah). Heavenly Father is only believed to speak to men when he is affirming that Jesus is his "Only begotten Son"...for example when Jesus was baptized and at Joseph's Smiths First Vision. For more details about the LDS Jesus I recommend going to the Church's official online store (store.lds.org) and buying a copy of Jesus the Christ by James Talmage.

" Jesus even said in the New Testament when the disciples didn't know what to name the primitive church He told them to name it after Him because if it's named after a man then it's a mans church. If it's named after Jesus the son of God it's His church and His doctrine which all Christian's should follow. How exactly is it wrong. "

Like the others who replied before my post, I am unaware of any New Testament verse where Jesus discusses the name of his church. The official name of a church is really irrelevant in the grand scheme. We do not gain salvation through a "church"...we are saved by faith alone in the God-man Jesus of Nazareth. A church only becomes a "church" when there is an assembly of born again believers that meet and worship there. 

Anyway, I hope this at least helps a little.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 2/4/2017 at 1:47 PM, fastjav390 said:

Let me clarify. The letter was allegedly written to discredit Joseph Smith but in their zeal to reveal him for the fraud he was the author(s) of the letter made up some fanciful tales themselves. At least this is now what is claimed. You see, the LDS scholars actually believed the letter to be authentic until people began to use the letter to show how loony of a man Joe Smith was. Then all of a sudden they claimed it to be a forgery. 

Correct. The letter was proven to be a forgery and the man (I can't remember the forger name, Mark Hoffman maybe?) was arrested for selling other forged documents and admitted the Salamander letter was a fraud.

Regardless the incident revealed two important things about the LDS church. 1. Their Prophet wasn't able to foresee that it was a scam before authorizing a large payment for the letter. 2. It reveals how quickly they try to cover up their often embarrassing past by buying up all the available records to hide forever in their vault.

On 2/6/2017 at 0:31 PM, Ukulelemike said:

Some other weird LDS doctrines:

Jesus appeared in the Americas after his resurrection to speak to the remnants of the Israelites living there.

They have an old Egyptian papyrus that they call the Book of Abraham, which is actually a copy of a well-known document from the Egyptian Book of the Dead. They insist it is the writings of Abraham and the drawings in it illustrate things about his life, even though the document is well-known as desribes the supposed journey of the soul. To this day, even though it is clearly disproven, they still insist this is what it is, even declaring that while the WORDS may say one thing, the MEANING was given by God so that Smith understood it a different way.

Jehovah has physical sex with Mary to produce Jesus, (ignoring the Bible's clear truth that it was the work of the Holy Ghost, a spiritual work, not physical.) And of course, that God the father dwells in a body of flesh, despite the clear teaching that God is a Spirit and has no physical body.

Mormons acknowledge that Jesus is the same as Jehovah in the Old Testament. They believe the Father of Jesus (and us all) goes by the name Elohim and he is the one who came to have physical sex with Mary.

• Moderators
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:17 PM, Disciple.Luke said:

Mormons acknowledge that Jesus is the same as Jehovah in the Old Testament. They believe the Father of Jesus (and us all) goes by the name Elohim and he is the one who came to have physical sex with Mary.

Well, sort of. It kind of depends on wich prophet you read, or which of their 'authoritative' books you read. Some claim Jesus to be God, Himself. Somce say he is Adam. Some say he is only ONE of the billions of spirit children of Elohim, as is Lucifer. Their doctrine is such a mess, because every 'prophet' of the church is allowed authority to write, or re-write, what has been written, as part of their progressive revelation. Even the book of Mormon declares unequivocably that there is only ONE God who is everlasting, and that Jesus IS God, while Doctrines and Covenants clearly says otherwise, as did Bring'em Young.

In fact, when compared, there is more true doctrine in the Book of Mormon about God than any of their other books, which disagree terribly one with another. It is amazing to me that ANYONE can be so stupid, or willingly ignorant, as to fall for it.

• Members
On 2/2/2017 at 1:07 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

This is just an observation, it does not speak to the subject at hand. many times we confuse issues and others when we say things like, "Jesus was there in the beginning". I am not picking on you Swath, just trying to correct a common misconception.

There was no Jesus until he was born in Bethlehem. Before his incarnation he was The Word. "In the beginning was The Word".

To clarify more...

“Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.” John 8:58

The very same person "Jehovah Saves" or "Jehovah is Salvation" was in the beginning. The Bible says He is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world"  and the Bible says "the word was God".