• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The true value of Bible Memorization

• Members

Alan has asked me to talk about the method that I use to memorize Scripture, or to share a testimony about it; Well I feel like the Lord is leading me to talk more about my motivation, than my method.
------------------------
MY MOTIVATION:
So lets talk about the true VALUE, of the things concerning our faith.  The fact is, 10 seconds after we arrive into the next life, we are going to realize how much more important Spiritual things were, than physical things.

This is really what Scripture memorization is all about: Investing our time and effort into things, that are truly important, even though we may not see their true value right now.  There are 3 things, that I see as more important than we will ever be able to fully realize, this side of heaven.  And these three things are so important and valuable, that they can’t even be placed in order, because they are of equally great value.

One is PRAYER, the other is HEARING FROM THE LORD and the last is GOD’S WORD.  All three of these have to do with our personal and genuine, communion with the one true living God.  And it is this aspect of verse memorization, that our eyes need to be opened to.  These are “GOD’S WORDS”, that we are memorizing and digging deeper and deeper into, as we keep them memorized.  The more that we fathom, the true identity of the one true living “GOD”, we will get closer to understanding just how important it is, to hide His Word in our heart(Psalms 119:11

Of these three important things, that I mentioned above; In a real way, they are all connected.  Every day, that we take the time to STOP and really study God’s Word, we open our selves up to hearing from Him(this is how I get messages to preach).  And as we take time to PRAY, we are developing that communication link between ourselves and the LORD, in such a way, that we are more open to receiving a WORD from Him.
------------------------
MY METHOD:
There is really nothing special about my method: Years ago it started out with placing each individual verse on a 3"x 5" card, with the verse written out on one side and it’s address on the other side; And covering most of the verse with my hand, giving myself fewer and fewer hints each day, until I was able to fully quote it from just seeing it’s address.  Then once it is memorized, I placed it into the monthly list, where I would test myself on it each month.

Then later I moved the information from these cards, into pages in a document on my word processor on my computer, having 30 documents named DAY-01 to DAY-30.  Then eventually converting these 30 documents/files, into PDF format and copying them onto my phone, where I am able to do my daily memory verse work where ever I am.
------------------------
I hope these things help someone decided to start memorizing Scripture.  I have found it to be very rewarding in every aspect of my life, because God’s Word is so “POWERFUL”.

• Members

Excellent post Bro Donald.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

I have personally discovered that listening to the Word is more beneficial than even reading it (just like God said - imagine that). It will pleasantly surprise just how much more is caught and absorbed.

The only way to increase your faith and go unto perfection is saturating yourself in it. 

This is the only way to walk with God and in the Spirit.

The Spirit can only work through His Word, there is no leading of the Spirit without the Word.

I recommend Alexander Scourby's KJB narrations on CD in the car and office and on youtube at home. 

• Members

Thank you Donald. As wretched said, it is an excellent post and I am sure that it will help us in our own walk with the Lord.

I especially enjoy hearing how you brought out that memorization of the word of God will help us in our communion with the Lord.