• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music in Church

• Administrators

We sing using the traditional hymnbook...and most people don't keep their noses in them! Our song services are great. We have a wonderful orchestra, two grand pianos and a really neat organ. The music that comes from them is fantastic. The congregation sings several songs, usually starting the service with choruses. We have a couple of specials (we don't consider them performers - they are singing songs that glorify God and edify the hearers...and there is no applause at the end, just some Amens!), and the choir usually sings a song. During the offeratory, there is an instrumental either from different groups or the orchestra or pianos, etc. There is no way that someone who is right with God couldn't be blessed during the music portion of the service. And it does set the atmosphere to listen to the preaching. :thumb

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is talking dead music? There is a difference between lively spiritual music and lively, rocking fleshly music. God doesn't want the world to praise Him by feeding their flesh. He wants SPIRITUAL music:

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Thank you, Jerry! Very well stated. The scripture always backs everything up, here. :bible: :amen:

We sing using the traditional hymnbook...and most people don't keep their noses in them! Our song services are great. We have a wonderful orchestra' date=' two grand pianos and a really neat organ. The music that comes from them is fantastic. The congregation sings several songs, usually starting the service with choruses. We have a couple of specials (we don't consider them performers - they are singing songs that glorify God and edify the hearers...and there is no applause at the end, just some Amens!), and the choir usually sings a song. During the offeratory, there is an instrumental either from different groups or the orchestra or pianos, etc. There is no way that someone who is right with God couldn't be blessed during the music portion of the service. And it does set the atmosphere to listen to the preaching. [/quote']

Oh, LuAnne---you have always talked about your church and the wonderful music, in a very humble way. I always get the idea of the Cleveland Orchestra in there---Gospel style. :thumb Why don't we ALL come to your church for an Online Baptist reunion some day? :ideas: Does this sound like a plan? Of course, we won't ALL flood in and stay at your house, though. LOL.

That sounds great! I love to camp---if anyone else is game? Maybe your house can be set up for the OB nursery? Woman can take shifts---or moms can keep the babies with them? Hmmm? I love working out details. Bro Matt would have to A-O.K. everything, of course. And, I forget who operates the OB women's site? Is that kitagrl---I can't remember? She would have to approve it, as well. All the moderators could get together for a meeting. The possibilities for the future :smile ? Oh---and, what about saved spouses who aren't OB members? They would probably have to go through a screening process. Huh? Just like the moderators do on here. This sounds like a HUGE blessing for the future of OB. We would probably come back from the 1st reunion (knowing eachother in person) and be able to communicate more effectively. That is what I am hoping. :wave:

• Members

You are the one who keeps making comments that the music/services are dead if they are not CCM. I find that very offensive. My church is not dead, and the worship is not ritualistic or stifled - however, we are Baptists, not charismatics, so we don't do what Pentecostal/charismatic churches are typically known for.

One time I was with some friends in another state, and I went to their church with them. It was a "Conservative Baptist" church (not exactly sure what that was supposed to mean... but whatever), and they had regular hymns during the morning service but the evening service was just for the youth and they had CCM instead. The evening service was very informal... most of the teen girls were in jeans (I wore a denim skirt and t-shirt so I wasn't too "out of place").

Anyhow... when we were singing the CCM with the youth, it just all seemed really weird. The youth leader was playing a guitar and he passed out the lyrics to all the songs we were going to sing, so at least I'd know the words (cuz otherwise, I was gonna be clueless! I've got most hymns memorized but I can probably only quote a few CCM songs..) When we were singing, it just seemed so... wrong. I couldn't even seriously sing along with the lyrics because it just didn't feel right. I don't have a problem with people listening to CCM outside of church, and there's some good CCM out there... but the songs they had picked out seemed so doctrinally weak and I definitely didn't feel like I was in the right kind of church.

Oh, and to go along with the CCM... they had a Bible study with multiple versions. THAT was weird for me! I've always been in KJV-Only churches as long as I can remember, and the Bible study with multiple versions felt so weak... like watered-down baby food! It was definitely an experience I'll never forget....

• Members
You are the one who keeps making comments that the music/services are dead if they are not CCM. I find that very offensive. My church is not dead' date=' and the worship is not ritualistic or stifled - however, we are Baptists, not charismatics, so we don't do what Pentecostal/charismatic churches are typically known for.[/quote']
I didn't mean to be offensive, I just haven't personally seen the passion that I've seen in contemporary services in IFB services. Also, having a contemporary service doesn't make you charismatic. lol

• Members
One time I was with some friends in another state, and I went to their church with them. It was a "Conservative Baptist" church (not exactly sure what that was supposed to mean... but whatever), and they had regular hymns during the morning service but the evening service was just for the youth and they had CCM instead. The evening service was very informal... most of the teen girls were in jeans (I wore a denim skirt and t-shirt so I wasn't too "out of place").

Anyhow... when we were singing the CCM with the youth, it just all seemed really weird. The youth leader was playing a guitar and he passed out the lyrics to all the songs we were going to sing, so at least I'd know the words (cuz otherwise, I was gonna be clueless! I've got most hymns memorized but I can probably only quote a few CCM songs..) When we were singing, it just seemed so... wrong. I couldn't even seriously sing along with the lyrics because it just didn't feel right. I don't have a problem with people listening to CCM outside of church, and there's some good CCM out there... but the songs they had picked out seemed so doctrinally weak and I definitely didn't feel like I was in the right kind of church.

Oh, and to go along with the CCM... they had a Bible study with multiple versions. THAT was weird for me! I've always been in KJV-Only churches as long as I can remember, and the Bible study with multiple versions felt so weak... like watered-down baby food! It was definitely an experience I'll never forget....

Many songs may be very weak, not all CCM is appropriate for worship whether it had a drum set or didn't. I have come to realize, however, that our feelings of discomfort are not always a result of something being wrong but because of our conception that it is wrong or because we aren't used to it. Our own minds play a huge role in our interpretation and feelings about things. When you've been taught your whole life that something is wrong, even things like head-coverings or watching tv, then when you are around someone that doesn't follow that rule, it makes you feel uncomfortable and even guilty. It's the way your mind has been programmed. If you've been taught that tv is a sin, you are going to be uncomfortable watching it. If you've been taught that a certain way for having church is right, you are going to be uncomfortable somewhere that doesn't meet that standard and maybe even feel guilty.

Oh, it wasn't a feeling of guiltiness or just a general "I'm not used to this" kind of thing. It was the lack of spiritual understanding that the people had. It was like they were talking about the Bible, but I could've stood up there and taught them some things and it probably would've went way over their heads.

Seriously, the pastor there was uncomfortable with saying that the "Great Whore of Babylon" in Revelation is the Catholic church. He said it's "false religion" in general. Oh, and he took a chapter in James and totally took it out of context and then said it was hard to understand and it makes more sense in the NIV... and then he made it worse by quoting the NIV and correcting the KJV.... it was aggravating, because with a little bit of study, anyone could understand what James is talking about in the KJV and it would have a lot more doctrinal significance than the watered-down nonsense he was talking about.

I'd rather stick with an old-fashioned church that believes the KJV and loves the old music. :smile

• Members
Oh, it wasn't a feeling of guiltiness or just a general "I'm not used to this" kind of thing. It was the lack of spiritual understanding that the people had. It was like they were talking about the Bible, but I could've stood up there and taught them some things and it probably would've went way over their heads.

Seriously, the pastor there was uncomfortable with saying that the "Great Whore of Babylon" in Revelation is the Catholic church. He said it's "false religion" in general. Oh, and he took a chapter in James and totally took it out of context and then said it was hard to understand and it makes more sense in the NIV... and then he made it worse by quoting the NIV and correcting the KJV.... it was aggravating, because with a little bit of study, anyone could understand what James is talking about in the KJV and it would have a lot more doctrinal significance than the watered-down nonsense he was talking about.

I'd rather stick with an old-fashioned church that believes the KJV and loves the old music. :smile

lol, If that's what your comfortable with, I would encourage you to stick with an old fashioned church with old music. :frog
There are certainly a lot of pastors that probably aren't qualified to lead people in Biblical things, this may be one of those cases. Taking verses out of context is a personal pet peeve of mine. :wink

:amen: :goodpost: What exactly is a "Conservative Baptist" church? Anyone? :ideas: The word "conservative" definetly didn't fit this church, KJB. LOL. I also agree with what you said about the Epistle of James. James gets "right to the point" in these 5 easy to read chapters. As a former RCC---I started with the proverbs, then, James (I just GOT that whole "faith without works is dead" concept. Truth Intention as I mentioned in another thread. Then, the Psalms. I at least knew that a Psalm meant song. It grew from there. I don't understand the use for an MV for the Epistle of James---I guess. :loco It is so "cut and dry" for me. What is this "Conservative Baptist" church doing out there to people? :puzzled:

Can someone define conservative' date=' since it seems to be the standard for what is right and wrong. :frog[/quote']

I just have never heard about a "Conservative Baptist" on a church sign, is all. :ideas: anyone?