• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music in Church

• Members

If people in an old fashioned, fundamental, baptist church are staring down at their hymn books (I assume by this you mean that they are basically dead when it comes to works and excitement about God), then someone needs to wake up to the Word. If you are saying that the music used in the service determines how the Spirit of God moves on the people or how perceptive they are to the preaching of the word, you should really reconsider this. Because if this is the case, you've just made music the focal point of the church and that is what I would consider to be ... well, let's just say not such a good idea. The days of the tent revivals and Billy Sunday's preaching didn't need contempory music and the church today shouldn't need it either. It's simply a way to bring more of the world in so that luke warm Christians feel comfortable instead of convicted.

:amen::goodpost: :clap:

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Like others have mentioned, what's the difference between a person singing from a hymnal and a person singing from an overhead screen or from a bulletin?

For myself, there are several hymns I can either sing wholly or mostly without need to even look at the hymnal.

We don't have performers when we sing our services. On rare occasions, like last Father's Day, one of the church members might sing solo. However, we typically have the pastor's son (who is our youth/education pastor), play the accoustic guitar for the newer songs and our piano player plays the piano for the hymns. We have an organ but it's not used as often.

The newer songs are very specifically chosen because of their God-honouring lyrics. We don't sing any newer songs during our services to be "with it" or to "jazz things up". If the songs don't give glory to God and put forth a blessed message akin to the hymns we sing then they won't be used in our church.

I believe Jess posted some good newer songs in a thread earlier this year. There may have been another thread or two that also contained some good newer songs as well.

:amen::goodpost::clap:

At the time they were singing in tent revivials the hymns were new to others. Just like they are to new believers today but those Hymns were not written by Baptists. So what is the difference?

• Members
I'm fairly certain that D.L. Moody was labeled a heretic when he decided to use the piano in revival meetings, rather than the organ. You see, the piano was thought to be honky tonk.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............

It's not that the piano was honky tonk, but the way it was most commonly played by the world at the time that was honky tonk. See...even back then they did not want the influence of the world creeping into the church music. Moody did not allow that "honky tonk" in the church, just the instrument played "rightly". I don't believe anyone is speaking out against any specific instrument, per se, just the style in which it is played. Why must we allow the world's style of music (which is commonly associated with all that's bad) into the church? Again, Moody did not allow that "honky tonk" in the church, just the instrument played "rightly".

It's not that the piano was honky tonk, but the way it was most commonly played by the world at the time that was honky tonk. See...even back then they did not want the influence of the world creeping into the church music. Moody did not allow that "honky tonk" in the church, just the instrument played "rightly". I don't believe anyone is speaking out against any specific instrument, per se, just the style in which it is played. Why must we allow the world's style of music (which is commonly associated with all that's bad) into the church? Again, Moody did not allow that "honky tonk" in the church, just the instrument played "rightly".

Just as a side note, I've seen a new trend of this old "honky tonk" piano style coming into modern IFB churches. I've seen students from Golden State Baptist College who play like this, and people think it sounds awesome. When I hear it, I think of old western movies where that kind of music is played in the saloon to "liven things up".

Does this bother anyone else, or am I the only one? :Bleh

• Members

Just as a side note, I've seen a new trend of this old "honky tonk" piano style coming into modern IFB churches. I've seen students from Golden State Baptist College who play like this, and people think it sounds awesome. When I hear it, I think of old western movies where that kind of music is played in the saloon to "liven things up".

Does this bother anyone else, or am I the only one? :Bleh

It absolutely drives me crazy!!! I've heard a couple people play that way before....it reminds me of saloon music as well. I don't like it. One time a guest speaker brought their own piano player, and she was playing "Onward Christian Soldiers" in that flowery style (which was also much higher notes than usual) during offering. It took everything in me not to speak up. When you play a song like that in a "lively, playful" manner it seems to communicate "I'm playing it this way for show and effect rather the sober reflection one would give it singing it played the way it was intended. Like it has been played for man's glory; not God's.

It absolutely drives me crazy!!! I've heard a couple people play that way before....it reminds me of saloon music as well. I don't like it. One time a guest speaker brought their own piano player, and she was playing "Onward Christian Soldiers" in that flowery style (which was also much higher notes than usual) during offering. It took everything in me not to speak up. When you play a song like that in a "lively, playful" manner it seems to communicate "I'm playing it this way for show and effect rather the sober reflection one would give it singing it played the way it was intended. Like it has been played for man's glory; not God's.

Yeah, you're right.. it definitely seems too showy! It draws a lot of attention to the person playing the piano and their talent, and takes the focus off the words of the song. It might be great to have "peppy" music like that for some other kind of event (I can't think of one at the moment, though), but definitely not for church!!!

At the time they were singing in tent revivials the hymns were new to others. Just like they are to new believers today but those Hymns were not written by Baptists. So what is the difference?

Hi Tank! :smile Many of our older hymns were not written by Baptists, only. The songs were inspired by the word of God---the KJV. Remember, back in those days many churches were using the KJV? I just believe that the music starting to change when all the MV's started coming into the churches. However, that is on another thread. Please---go there for that discussion---if you care, too---I DO want to keep this thread to music. :lol I just wanted to point out something. :wave:

• Members

If people in an old fashioned, fundamental, baptist church are staring down at their hymn books (I assume by this you mean that they are basically dead when it comes to works and excitement about God), then someone needs to wake up to the Word. If you are saying that the music used in the service determines how the Spirit of God moves on the people or how perceptive they are to the preaching of the word, you should really reconsider this. Because if this is the case, you've just made music the focal point of the church and that is what I would consider to be ... well, let's just say not such a good idea. The days of the tent revivals and Billy Sunday's preaching didn't need contempory music and the church today shouldn't need it either. It's simply a way to bring more of the world in so that luke warm Christians feel comfortable instead of convicted.

I'm just saying that there doesn't seem to be much passion in worship in the traditional church. It appears to me that people are simply doing what they're supposed to do and going through the motions. Many hymns are simply doctrinal poetry, anyway, rather than songs of worship and praise to God.

I'm not saying that the music determines how God moves but I think it sometimes sets the stage for it, and I think we can agree on that. In a contemporary service, it's not uncommon to see people raising their hands or closing their eyes as they sing a verse like, "Jesus, my Lord and King" or "I give myself to you." People are really saying it from their hearts and they are in a state of worship and contriteness before God, IMO.

I would most strongly disagree with your last statement. I have seen quite the contrary. I watch as Christians, Christians who are more passionate than I have ever seen about the things of God and seeing others saved, worship God in song and then listen to the pastor get up and preach something straight from God's Word and unashamedly.

It absolutely drives me crazy!!! I've heard a couple people play that way before....it reminds me of saloon music as well. I don't like it. One time a guest speaker brought their own piano player' date=' and she was playing "Onward Christian Soldiers" in that flowery style (which was also much higher notes than usual) during offering. It took everything in me not to speak up. When you play a song like that in a "lively, playful" manner it seems to communicate "I'm playing it this way for show and effect rather the sober reflection one would give it singing it played the way it was intended. Like it has been played for man's glory; not God's.[/quote']

Oh, good grief---we don't need "saloons" and pool halls being brought into our IFB churches. :eek We have so many people recovering from alcoholism, drugs, and smoking---by the blood of Jesus Christ. And, the wounded are coming in---still suffering. :pray they get "convicted" and saved. I mean---the IFB is the last stop for most. You know?

I am really glad I haven't heard this kind of music. :puzzled: The Rock-n-Roll was absolutely the "rock bottom" for me. :-S

I'm fairly certain that D.L. Moody was labeled a heretic when he decided to use the piano in revival meetings' date=' rather than the organ. You see, the piano was thought to be honky tonk.[/quote']

Hi trc. :smile I am almost sure that the "organ" was an RCC thing---originally. Maybe someone can do a google? My hubby said he has never heard this about D.L. Moody---and, he is very familiar with him. :smile Interesting.

• Members

Gee whiz people, you can glorify God and give him all the praise and glory while doing so to music that is not the funeral durg (sp?).

The God I serve certainly does want all our praise and adoration. He's holy, he's mighty, he's righteous, he's merciful, he's gracious and he is the King of the Universe. What is there NOT to shout about? Better to be a Lord Jesus Christ "fan" than a football "fan." And what do the same people who wouldn't shout and praise God in the sanctuary do when watching their favorite sport? Shouting, hollering and acting like a "fan," == fanatic..............

I'm not saying one has to worship God in that manner. A person's heart is what God is after. Different people have different ways of showing heart and emotion, therefore I'm slow to criticize forms of worship (including music) as one doesn't know the heart, nor am I a judge of what "form" pleases God the most. Most certainly much of today's music is NOT for me; but neither was my parent's music that which their parents would enjoy, etc.

I find there is quite a bit of good praise music that uses verses from the Psalms, set to more upbeat musical styles that is an incredible blessing and very conducive to heartfelt praise of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The main issue with this particular subject is who will you allow be the judge of what is good and bad in worship music taste. Personally I believe the principles of the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit's leading are the only objective way for each believer to determine what God wants for them.

Gee whiz people' date=' you can glorify God and give him all the praise and glory while doing so to music that is not the funeral durg (sp?).[/quote']

In my first IFB church the music director that came in there "literally" plays the piano like you are at the morgue---of course, the singing is as such. And, I was saved out of that IFB church. Fancy that?

• Members
Gee whiz people' date=' you can glorify God and give him all the praise and glory while doing so to music that is not the funeral durg (sp?).[/quote']

Who is talking dead music? There is a difference between lively spiritual music and lively, rocking fleshly music. God doesn't want the world to praise Him by feeding their flesh. He wants SPIRITUAL music:

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;