• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Chuck Swindoll’s Ministry Says Stop Sending Lighthouse Trails Booklets

• Members

Chuck Swindoll’s Ministry Says Stop Sending Lighthouse Trails Booklets

Since early 2016, Lighthouse Trails has been sending out short letters and topical booklets that we publish to dozens of Christian leaders in America. Thus far, we have received a few responses, usually short notes from the ministry office thanking us for sending the materials. This week, we received an e-mail from Chuck Swindoll’s ministry […]

The post Chuck Swindoll’s Ministry Says Stop Sending Lighthouse Trails Booklets appeared first on .

View the full article

• Members

I wouldn't want it either.

Mostly this stuff is charismatic sounding useless info, given from questionable sources and opinions based on nothing.

The ministry is comparable to conspiracy theory type sites, and I don't understand why it's such a main thread here on OB. 

Regardless of Mr. Swindoll.

I am curious though - why do you think he is a "heretic"?

• Members

I often listen to Chuck on the way to evening services at my local church. I've noticed, actually for some time now, that he has gone to exclusive use of the New Living Translation and in some rare cases other new translations for light on his message. I accept Chuck's comments as conversational advice, which may or may not have merit. I can barely recognize his quotations of scripture as Bible scripture and not his personal commentary from this NLT. I suppose since I only use the KJV and have scripture memorized from it I will always have trouble with him reading and citing from his new found translation. I find it comical to hear him attempt to quote from the NLT and slip into the KJV he grew up with. I should not find it comical but saddening.

I have noticed he continues to move further away from where I recall his beginning many years ago. To hear that he has moved in the direction of the 'contemplative prayer' movement doesn't surprise me.

I don't have a problem with reading other books beyond the Bible particularly to examine their position on Christianity and the Bible. However, something like contemplative prayer which has been proven to have roots in eastern religion and possibly in the occult as well should not be commended or recommended. Right now I only have time for Bible reading daily maybe I'll have more time to examine some good authors this year. I have a motive in reading other authors, particularly for use in witnessing as conversation starters.

• Members

What in the world is this "contemplative prayer" you fellas are talking about?!? I've been in church my whole life, and in the ministry since 1996. Of course, I don't read behind very many preachers, Ravi Zacharias being the notable and rare exception. But still. The scripture tells us to "watch and pray", and we are told in many places to meditate on the word of God, but I gather from the tone we are referring to something else?