• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The way I got there

• Members

Over the last 30 years or so, my study of God’s Word, has brought me to a set of Doctrinal convictions(a few hundred).  But the way each of us get there, is important: We need to be careful not to ever come to a Doctrinal conviction, based upon someone’s opinion; But only by our personal study of God’s Word and the leadership of the Holy Spirit.  God should give us our convictions, not man.

I have said all of this, because I was recently reminded of one of these Doctrinal convictions, that I have taken; And wanted to share how I got there.
Over the years the Lord has wonderfully blessed my memorization of His Word.  My monthly recital of these verses has been GREAT.  Each month as I re-memorize each one of my memory verses, I can’t help but study them in greater and greater detail, over and over again.

Then, about 25 years ago, as I was re-studying Titus 2:11 "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men," I realized that it contradicted one of my other memory verses.  And as we all know, if we ever find a mistake in the Bible, “we are the ones making the mistake”; And what we have to do, is study even harder, until we find “our mistake”. So I set out on a deeper and deeper study of Titus 2:11 and Romans 10:14, to find out which one I was misinterpreting.

After several months of prayer and study, the Lord gave me the answer.  Titus 2:11 plainly says that EVERYONE will be given an opportunity to get saved.  But although Romans 10:14 says that “only those who a preacher was sent to” would have this opportunity; “This is not what God says”.

Within the context, of Romans 10:14, in verse 18, “the LORD” responds to the three questions in v.14 by saying...“But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.”  Therefore, the Lord says that they do not need a preacher, in order to hear.  This verse refers us back to Psalms 98:3 "He hath remembered his mercy and his truth toward the house of Israel: all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God."(Natural revelation)

Therefore, the questions in v.14, are questions that people will be asking the Lord, as excuses for not being saved, before being dropped into the lake of fire.
------------------------
This Doctrinal conviction, that I have come to, is challenged all the time, when I hear missionaries quote Romans 10:14, as the reason why we need to send them to their field; "Because if they don’t go, people will go to hell."  Also I hear pastors using it, to get their people to support missions in a greater way.  Don’t misunderstand me.  I am not saying that missions are wrong.  But God is saying, that if someone is going to get saved, He will see to it that they get saved, regardless of what we do or don’t do.

Let me explain what I am talking about; with a little story about two natives.  
In the middle of South America or Africa.  A thousand miles from any town, is a small village of people.  Well one day two men leave the village to go hunting(in different directions).  That afternoon, a big thunderstorm comes up and both men have similar experiences.  They are walking along hunting and out of nowhere, a lighting bolt hits a tree in front of them and spits it open and catches it on fire.  After getting back up from the ground, one of these men looks around and says in his heart, there must be a God in heaven somewhere, that created this wonderful world I am living in.  And from that moment on, he sets out to find out more about the creator.(Kind of like Exodus 3:3)  But the other man, who had the same exact experience, gets up from the ground and says, boy that was interesting and continues hunting.(30 years later he dies and goes to hell).

But the first man, uses the light that God gave him and is given more and more light.  While in a Church in Kansas, the Lord calls a family to the mission field to that same part of the world.  The missionary finishes his deputation and goes to the filed and is setting up his tent, after traveling deep into the wilderness.  When here comes that first man(out of the jungle), and is standing face to face with this missionary.  And the man is told about the one true living God and his Son Jesus and that first man gets saved.

As you can see, this man did not need a preacher to find the LORD, but God used a preacher to tell him about Jesus.  The Bible does not teach us, that people will die and go to hell, if we are not obedient to the Lord.  But it does say that God will use someone else.  God will see to it, that everyone who searches for Him, will find Him.

Edited by Donald
typo

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Donald said:

God will see to it, that everyone who searches for Him, will find Him

Bro. Donald,

I liked most of your post until I got to the part I quoted. Just using this particular assertion, how would you reconcile the scripture that says this: Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 

Edited by Jim_Alaska
correcting scripture verse.

• Moderators

I would say that, of himself, no man CAN seek after Christ. However, since in John 1, we see that Christ 'lighteneth' every man that comes into the world, and jesus, having been 'lifted up', draws ALL men unto Himself.    I believe there is a general call to ALL men, light given to all, which can either encourage them to seek further light, or to reject and remain willingly in darkness. This seeking is not of man's heart, but of God's light. I can give a couple examples of this:

My wife was born into an atheistic home, raised by a mother who had been Catholic, but in rejecting them, she rejeected God and all Christianity. So she wasn't raised with any prediliction toward religion at all. But as she grew, she believed there was a 'god' of some sort, but didn't know anything about Him, so she began a quest for the truth of what was right, and it took her through eastern religions and the New Age-but while she liked what she saw to a point, she was encouraged that it wasn't true, so she continued, until she ended up working in a place with some Christians who began to witness to her-but even then she wasn't sure, and it took her some time, but finally she saw it was true and was saved. Then she began to search for a right church-she began in Pentecostal, which she liked due to a lot of fellowship and a serious concentration on prayer, but she disagreed with tongues, having seen the same in New age religions, and thought the teaching was weak. Finally she ended up in my church and found what she had read on her own and learned matched what I taught, so she became and IFB, having never heard of them. 

Another example is a man I heard about, (read a letter from him), was born in a very small, remote village in the mountains of Tibet, part of a branch of Buddhism, and he was raised to be the high priest of his village. It was all he knew and was bred to be, but somehow he found he rejected it and wanted to know truth-again, believing there WAS a god, but not knowing what to think since there as no other infulence in his life. Leaving his village, he came across hindus, other Buddhists, Muslims, Catholics, and rejected them all, not being ewhat he believed to be the truth, Finally he ended up in America and visited and IFB church, where he believed truth was taught, got saved, and became a missionary to his own people.

So two examples of people who, on the surface, seemed to be following on their own-but since the Bible says otherwise, all I can believe is that Christ gave them light, and they responded to that light, seeking the Source, and weren't willing to rest until they found Him, and they did.   So this is how I see this.

• Members
On 1/24/2017 at 0:00 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

Bro. Donald,

I liked most of your post until I got to the part I quoted. Just using this particular assertion, how would you reconcile the scripture that says this: Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 

I sought out God, when I FINALLY accepted my Dad and Moms invite to Church services. 

I don't find that contrary to this verse.

But I am sure glad they did invite me, and really glad I went!

• Members
On 1/24/2017 at 7:17 AM, Donald said:

Over the last 30 years or so, my study of God’s Word, has brought me to a set of Doctrinal convictions(a few hundred).  But the way each of us get there, is important: We need to be careful not to ever come to a Doctrinal conviction, based upon someone’s opinion; But only by our personal study of God’s Word and the leadership of the Holy Spirit.  God should give us our convictions, not man.

I have said all of this, because I was recently reminded of one of these Doctrinal convictions, that I have taken; And wanted to share how I got there.
Over the years the Lord has wonderfully blessed my memorization of His Word.  My monthly recital of these verses has been GREAT.  Each month as I re-memorize each one of my memory verses, I can’t help but study them in greater and greater detail, over and over again.

Then, about 25 years ago, as I was re-studying Titus 2:11 "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men," I realized that it contradicted one of my other memory verses.  And as we all know, if we ever find a mistake in the Bible, “we are the ones making the mistake”; And what we have to do, is study even harder, until we find “our mistake”. So I set out on a deeper and deeper study of Titus 2:11 and Romans 10:14, to find out which one I was misinterpreting.

After several months of prayer and study, the Lord gave me the answer.  Titus 2:11 plainly says that EVERYONE will be given an opportunity to get saved.  But although Romans 10:14 says that “only those who a preacher was sent to” would have this opportunity; “This is not what God says”.

Within the context, of Romans 10:14, in verse 18, “the LORD” responds to the three questions in v.14 by saying...“But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.”  Therefore, the Lord says that they do not need a preacher, in order to hear.  This verse refers us back to Psalms 98:3 "He hath remembered his mercy and his truth toward the house of Israel: all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God."(Natural revelation)

Therefore, the questions in v.14, are questions that people will be asking the Lord, as excuses for not being saved, before being dropped into the lake of fire.
------------------------
This Doctrinal conviction, that I have come to, is challenged all the time, when I hear missionaries quote Romans 10:14, as the reason why we need to send them to their field; "Because if they don’t go, people will go to hell."  Also I hear pastors using it, to get their people to support missions in a greater way.  Don’t misunderstand me.  I am not saying that missions are wrong.  But God is saying, that if someone is going to get saved, He will see to it that they get saved, regardless of what we do or don’t do.

Let me explain what I am talking about; with a little story about two natives.  
In the middle of South America or Africa.  A thousand miles from any town, is a small village of people.  Well one day two men leave the village to go hunting(in different directions).  That afternoon, a big thunderstorm comes up and both men have similar experiences.  They are walking along hunting and out of nowhere, a lighting bolt hits a tree in front of them and spits it open and catches it on fire.  After getting back up from the ground, one of these men looks around and says in his heart, there must be a God in heaven somewhere, that created this wonderful world I am living in.  And from that moment on, he sets out to find out more about the creator.(Kind of like Exodus 3:3)  But the other man, who had the same exact experience, gets up from the ground and says, boy that was interesting and continues hunting.(30 years later he dies and goes to hell).

But the first man, uses the light that God gave him and is given more and more light.  While in a Church in Kansas, the Lord calls a family to the mission field to that same part of the world.  The missionary finishes his deputation and goes to the filed and is setting up his tent, after traveling deep into the wilderness.  When here comes that first man(out of the jungle), and is standing face to face with this missionary.  And the man is told about the one true living God and his Son Jesus and that first man gets saved.

As you can see, this man did not need a preacher to find the LORD, but God used a preacher to tell him about Jesus.  The Bible does not teach us, that people will die and go to hell, if we are not obedient to the Lord.  But it does say that God will use someone else.  God will see to it, that everyone who searches for Him, will find Him.

Bro. Donald, it is very rare to find someone these days who study the scripture as honestly as you have laid out here. I am blessed by your post. I too believe pretty much as you do, and I have been in missions for years. The Bible says God speaks to man through creation - Psalm 19:1 and Psalm 97:6 for example, but especially in Romans 1:20. If they ignore that witness, then they are without excuse, whither he sends a missionary or not. Thankfully, he does send missionaries in his great grace and mercy.

But along with this, I also believe (and this is me, I would not fight with others over it) the when Jesus tells the disciples to "pray ye therefore the Lord of the Harvest that he will send forth laborers into the harvest" we should get a real shiver of fear up and down our spine. Why? Who is the Lord of the Harvest? Jesus is, of course. So the Lord of the Harvest is standing, looking at a field ripe unto harvest, but commands us to entreat him to send forth laborers, or else the enferred result is that he won't. The responsibility for going, as well as for us interceding for even more missionaries, has been delegated to us. That particular truth is one that I have studied a great deal, and only give one illustrative verse for it.

• Members

Hello Jim
The exact extent of our “free will”, when it comes to “seeking the Lord”, is hard to nail down.  Because although the Lord is in complete control of our salvation, at some point in our salvation, He can and does, put it into a person's heart, to come to Him(Ruth 1:16).“And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, [or] to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people [shall be] my people, and thy God my God:”

For sure, Romans 3:11 is true. But the right way to look at this truth, is that “without the LORD”,  "There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God."
This truth is still true for us, even after we have been saved and are faithfully living for the Lord, Because we are STILL “nothing” without Him.

It was in this context, that I say....
“God will see to it, that everyone who searches for Him, will find Him”, because it is the LORD that will put it into a person, to “search for Him”!

Edited by Donald
To add Scripture

• Members
On ‎2017‎年‎1‎月‎25‎日 at 0:17 AM, Donald said:

Donald,

After reading your posts, unless I am mistaken (which I could be), your reasoning (not scripture), sounds to me like Calvinism to the core.

It sems to me your interpretation of Titus 2:11, and Romans 10:14 is faulty. Even though all of mankind has the revelation of God through the creation, and thus has knowledge of God, all of mankind needs to hear the gospel story in order to get saved.

Did not Paul say just a few passages further, "For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed, Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation: But as it written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand." Romans  15:18-21

So, Paul, in obedience to the Great Comminssion of Christ as stated in Matthew 28:18-20, started from Jerusalem to the farthest region he could go to preach the pospel, "not where Christ was named." why? "... and they that have not heard shall understand." Even though the folks preached to have the natural knowledge of God through the creation, Paul says, "they that have not heard."

The apostle Paul stated this doctrinal fact after he said, "But I say, Have they not heard? yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the earth." Romans 10:18

Oh, by the way, what Paul said in Romans 10:14 & 18 and what I quoted in Romans 15:18-21 do not contradict one another. The contradiction, as in Titus 2:11 and Romans 10:14 is not a contradiction, it fits hand in glove if your not a Calvanist.  

The Apostle Paul, out of his own free will, decided not only to get saved, follow Christ, and become a missionary to the farthest regions of the earth in an effort to tell as many who have not heard the gospel to so they could be saved.

The Apostle Paul was not only called by the Lord Jesus, he was sent by the local church at Antioch, Acts 13:3, to the regions beyond. I will give you one example. Before Paul went to Colosse, the folks there had heard, in their hearts, the knowledge of a God in creation, but they did not have the knowledge of the Saviour who died on the Cross for their sins.

If Paul would not have gone to Colosse then the Colossian folks would not have heard, they did not believe on Jesus, and therefore how can they call upon the Lord? how then can they be saved?

If Paul would not have gone and preached then they would be in hell today instead of heaven. The folks at Colosse heard Paul preach and then, on their own free will, trusted in the Lord Jesus as their Saviour.  "How then shall they call on him whom  they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a precher? Romans 10:14

There is no contradiction in the free will of man and the sin nature of man. A man out of his own volition either decides to get saved or to not to get saved.

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammer & spelling deleted a paragraph

• Members

Hello Alan

I much appreciate your response.  And thank you for being so cordial and Christlike.
No, my view isn’t Calvinism, because it includes our “free will”, and Calvinism rejects that we have any free will at all.

I don’t really know what it is(this is why I love detailed responses like yours).  Because they help me get(and keep), my head straight, because your using Scripture, to back up your point.
------------------------
You said......
“It sems to me your interpretation of Titus 2:11, and Romans 10:14 is faulty. Even though all of mankind has the revelation of God through the creation, and thus has knowledge of God, all of mankind needs to hear the gospel story in order to get saved.”

The point being made, is that although they do NEED to hear about Jesus, to be born again, they don’t need a preacher.  What I mean is, even though “natural revelation” has no way of telling them about Jesus, IT DOES, give them light, to seek out the truth and the LORD will provide them with a preacher.  Therefore the excuse we find in  Romans 10:14, doesn’t hold water with God.
------------------------
Next you said........
“Did not Paul say just a few passages further, "For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed, Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation: But as it written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand." Romans  15:18-21"

For sure, Paul was needed, to get them the Gospel.  But the point of my OP, is that God had already prepared there hearts in such a way, that if Paul hadn’t made it to their town, than God would have sent someone else, with the Gospel; Or they would have moved to Antioch to hear it, etc.
------------------------
Next you continue with.......
“So, Paul, in obedience to the Great Comminssion of Christ as stated in Matthew 28:18-20, started from Jerusalem to the farthest region he could go to preach the pospel, "not where Christ was named." why? "... and they that have not heard shall understand." Even though the folks preached to have the natural knowledge of God through the creation, Paul says, "they that have not heard."

You see, there are two things being heard: First, that there is a God that wants to save them; Second, is the Gospel.  For any of us to say, “people will die and go to hell if we do not send someone there”, is not true.  Because God will see to it, that someway or somehow, they are going to hear the Gospel.  This is really all about, the error of using Scriptures like Romans 10:14, to lay a guilt trip, upon Christians.  When the facts of Scripture tell us, that the Lord is going to take care of them.
------------------------
Then you said.......
“The apostle Paul stated this doctrinal fact after he said, "But I say, Have they not heard? yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the earth." Romans 10:18
Oh, by the way, what Paul said in Romans 10:14 & 18 and what I quoted in Romans 15:18-21 do not contradict one another. The contradiction, as in Titus 2:11 and Romans 10:14 is not a contradiction, it fits hand in glove if your not a Calvanist.”

I love it when the Lord shows me, how His Scripture “it fits hand in glove”: But the things that were said in Romans 10:14 and Romans 10:18, is not such an example.
"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" (Romans 10:14)
and
"But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world." (Romans 10:18)

Here God answers v.14 by saying: Have they not heard(without a preacher)?  Yes verily!

The contradiction, in Titus 2:11 and Romans 10:14, is a contradiction brought about by misusing Romans 10:14, as an “imperative”, rather than a “discretionary” statement.
------------------------
I will sum up your next three paragraphs with the 3rd one....
“If Paul would not have gone to Colosse then the Colossian folks would not have heard, they did not believe on Jesus, and therefore how can they call upon the Lord? how then can they be saved?
If Paul would not have gone and preached then they would be in hell today instead of heaven. The folks at Colosse heard Paul preach and then, on their own free will, trusted in the Lord Jesus as their Saviour.  "How then shall they call on him whom  they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a precher? Romans 10:14"

There salvation was not dependent upon “Paul’s obedience or ability to get there”:
As always, everyone’s salvation is dependent upon the LORD!  God in His Righteousness, will see to it, that no one goes to hell, unless they reject Him.  And He promises that all who ACCEPT HIM, will also ACCEPT HIS SON!
Natural Revelation, is the Father, inviting humanity to ACCEPT HIM.  And “without exception” all those who accept the Father, WILL ACCEPT THE SON....
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." (John 5:24)

Here, Jesus says: The only ones that the Gospel will have any effect upon, are those that have “believed on him that sent me”!  A person must believe in the Father first, or they will reject the Son.  Therefore, Once a person has Faith in the Father(by Natural revelation), than they are secure in that until they hear about the Son.
------------------------
Then lastly you said.......
“There is no contradiction in the free will of man and the sin nature of man. A man out of his own volition either decides to get saved or to not to get saved.”

I have heard this called, “decisionism”(mostly by Calvinists).  I do not reject your statement, out of hand.  But it does seem to “scrub” the LORD, out of the way of salvation.  I also believe that God gave us a free will to accept Him or reject Him.  But at some point in the process, our free will is lost.  That is, today if I decided that I wanted to go to hell, I couldn’t!  Because I am “in Christ”!
The same “may” be true, for that native, who saw the lightning and “knew in his heart that there must be a God, and decided to search for Him”!  In some way that we may not understand yet, this guy may be “secure”(in some way); Until he comes to know Christ!
------------------------
Thanks again for your response.  I make it a point in all of my responses, not to ever be trying to “win the argument”!  I am not here to lift myself up as having all the answers.  I am here to gain a better understanding of Scripture and hopefully to be corrected by Scripture.  While bringing Glory to my LORD!

• Members

Donald,

My post stands entirely as I wrote it. I read your answers and I reject every one of them. The scriptural points that are I made are 100% valid and true. There is no contradiction, miss-application of scripture, in anything that I said.

Romans 10:14 is a call for all of us to tell as many people as possible with the gospel so that they might have an opportunity to be saved. If we do not tell the people, even though they have the natural revelation of God, they cannot believe on the Lord Jesus and cannot call upon the Lord.  How in the world does this "scrub" God out of the situation (as you said), is an unbelievable statement. The Apostle Paul knew that God worked with Him, and called him; to do exactly what I said and what many fine misionaires, pastors, evangelists, lay people, and soul-winners are trying to do. They are sacrificing their lives, their fortunes, their time and their families to tell as many people as possible in order to see people saved.

We should understand the spiritual necessity to preach the gospel, around the world. Our compassion for the lost should propel us to be zealous in this matter.

The Lord Jesus, the Captain of our Salvation, said, "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; and he that believeth not shall be damned." Mark 16:15 & 16 According to the Lord Jesus, we need to preach the gospel to every creature. If a person believes (not if that person is elected and understands that the natural revelation of God invites them to salvation), than that person is saved. If that person does not believe, than that person is damned and will spend eternity in hell. How much clearer can the Lord Jesus get?

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling (twice)

• Members

I think both of you are actually saying the same thing, If I am reading both of you correctly. 

1. We all believe that salvation is only through Jesus Christ

2. We all believe that God commands missionaries to carry this gospel to the world, and we must do so as thoroughly as we can

3. We all respect and support these missionaries for their sacrifice and obedience

What I think Donald is saying, (correct me if I am wrong) is that not everyone will hear, there are simply not enough missionaries. However, those who accept the natural revelation, who do not reject the light they have been given, will be given further light by God through a witness and eventually have an opportunity to hear the gospel, and thus get saved. Those in the dark corners of the earth who reject the natural revelation, who will not receive what little light they have been given, will be without excuse when they stand before a righteous and holy God, even if they are never given the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Did you ever wonder why God calls a missionary to one area, and not another? Or why God forbade Paul to go to Bethinia and Asia, but then sent him to Macedonia instead? It is an answer to the age-old question of "How can a just God send a heathen to hell for not receiving Jesus if they've never even heard of Jesus", and not give in to the lazy, shoulder-shrugging, Bible defying-doctrine of Calvinism. Man does have a free will, and God does respond to man according to the way he exercises that will.

Donald and Alan, if I misinterpreted either of your posts, I apologize. I just think you guys are actually in agreement when both of your posts are combined. It's two sides of the same coin.

Edited by weary warrior

• Members
On 2017/1/25 at 0:17 AM, Donald said:

Donald,

I think that your ability to memorize so much of the scriptures is commendable.

I, as probably many others, would like to hear more of your methods of scripture memorization. Maybe you could start a different thread on the subject of memorization? Or, maybe give us a testimony. I am sure that a testimony would encourage all of us to concentrate more on the memorization of the scriptures.

Also, I do not want any disagreement on the subject in this thread to cause any harm to our relationship. I am positive that we agree on more subjects that are in the pages of the scriptures than those we disagree on. There are many other threads on OnLine Baptist that I am sure that we can be a great blessing together.

"Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity. It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments." Psalm 133:1 & 2

In Christ,

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammer

• Members

Hello Alan
Don’t worry a bit about it.  Over the last 35 years or so, I have NEVER found any brother or sister, who completely agreed with me 100%, in every Doctrinal area.
Which in itself, is rather strange.  Because we all read the same Bible and we all have the same Holy Spirit.  But the Lord works in and through each of us, in His own unique way, bringing us all to the exact same view of fundamental Doctrines, yet allowing us to see lots of other things in a different light.

Have a great day.