• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Concerned over accuracy?

• Members
9 hours ago, MountainChristian said:

I can not see it. I wish I could. I'm going to work on it some more.

What can't you see MC?

That the scriptures speak of the church as a whole body?

The word church can be used in the singular and be speaking to the whole body of churches at the same time.

There are other words that do the same thing, speaking in the singular, but meaning plural.

"Doctrine" is one - it may say it in the singular, yet is speaking of the plurality of teachings.

Example: Acts 2:42 - "And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers."

It is spoken in the singular yet means 'all they taught', which are plural teachings.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

You guys needn't fight over this tired old subject. both sides are right. The Bible speaks of local churches as well as "the church". Yes, we are aware of the lies of Catholicism. But guys, the most dangerous lies are those with the most truth in them. If we always throw out the baby with the bathwater just because someone else has abused that truth, what is left? My family name is Noel. I can refer to "the Noel Family" and be referring to me, my wife and children. I can say "the Noel Family" and refer to all Noels still living, as in "the Noel family will be having their annual family reunion in September". Or I can say "the Noel Family" and refer to us universally, as in "the Noel Family was founded in the 11th century by a soldier in Gaul who won a small battle on Christmas day and took Noel (Latin for Christmas) as a surname in commemoration". The context of my reference will show which form I am referring to. The references to the "church" in the NT are exactly the same. A local autonomous gathering, or all of the church alive on earth at any given time, or the whole church as ordained by God from the start. It's not rocket science. It's like holding a bar of wet soap. If you get mad and squeeze too hard so that no-one takes it away from you, you'll loose it all together.

Edited by weary warrior

• Members

Apples and Oranges: Organized, ecumenical religion, and particularly the Catholic Church, is a false "universal" church from the get-go.  The real "church" is every bloodwashed believer from Genesis to Revelation who has ever been saved or ever will be saved.  Today, now, we have local churches, but in the end we will all be one in Christ. What so hard about that, and what's the big deal anyway? Seriously, can we just agree on that as "fundamental" and remain "independent" without joining or answering to an outside authority. Know what I'm saying?

• Members
2 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Apples and Oranges: Organized, ecumenical religion, and particularly the Catholic Church, is a false "universal" church from the get-go.  The real "church" is every bloodwashed believer from Genesis to Revelation who has ever been saved or ever will be saved.  Today, now, we have local churches, but in the end we will all be one in Christ. What so hard about that, and what's the big deal anyway? Seriously, can we just agree on that as "fundamental" and remain "independent" without joining or answering to an outside authority. Know what I'm saying?

Yes I know what you are saying, but Weary Warrior is not, as far as I can see, speaking about answering to an outside authority.  In the temple there were many rooms, but only one temple.  Today the church is the temple.  

1Co 3:16  Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1Co 3:17  If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
2Co 6:16  And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

There is only one temple which Paul calls THE Temple of God. but many independent rooms, the individual churches.

We are one people being built together. 

1Peter 2:5  Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Just one house, but many stones.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

"Would anyone arguing the "Universal Church" idea identify themselves as Catholic? You might ask why I ask this question; it is because catholic means "Universal". This is the origin of the phrase we  know as Universal Church. Catholics have always defined themselves as "The Church" and adamantly defended this definition as Universal. "

Jim, you mean like saying for instance...Welcome to our 'Independent Catholic Church"? No, or maybe if I were kidding one of our deacons. However, isn't Independent-Catholic an oxymoron?

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members
2 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

"Would anyone arguing the "Universal Church" idea identify themselves as Catholic? You might ask why I ask this question; it is because catholic means "Universal". This is the origin of the phrase we  know as Universal Church. Catholics have always defined themselves as "The Church" and adamantly defended this definition as Universal. "

Jim, you mean like saying for instance...Welcome to our 'Independent Catholic Church"? No, or maybe if I were kidding one of our deacons. However, isn't Independent-Catholic an oxymoron?

I  am sorry but I think that is nonesense.   

Christ said "I will build my Church"  not churches.  This will consist of all blood bought souls.  A local church can never be called "The Church" because tares will always creep in, whoever careful we are.   The Catholic Church is the pope's counterfeit church, counterfeiting the one true church, every believer in Christ.  Whereas the true church is the holy bride of Christ, the Pope's church is the harlot.  The complete opposite.