• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Generalisations

DaveW

• Members
3 hours ago, DaveW said:

I like good preaching whether it is loud or quiet, whether it is gentle or hard, whether it is long or short.

These things mean nothing IF the content is not there.

Brother Dave,

I give some of my "change" - Amen, and AMEN!!!

2 Timothy 4:2 -- "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine."

• Administrators

I agree, content is everything and delivery should be in direct proportion to the leadership of The Holy Spirit, as well as the convictions of the man delivering the message.

I do not think that there is any one method of delivery or length of sermon that appeals to all, but I do think that when a sermon is genuinely empowered by The Holy Spirit people will recognize the source as being the Good Shepherd. In these instances neither length nor volume of the sermon will be of any consequence.

• Members
6 hours ago, DaveW said:

Length in and of itself is irrelevant.

This is the key to "good preaching" - the Biblical substance.is what is important, not the volume, the intensity, or the length.

So next time you are asked if you like "loud preachin' " or "long preachin' ", maybe you should think about it a bit before just answering "yep, sure".

I like good preaching whether it is loud or quiet, whether it is gentle or hard, whether it is long or short.

These things mean nothing IF the content is not there.

I agree with you completely.  Content is essential.  Loud or long preaching for its own sake, at the expense of sound content, is like putting lipstick on a pig.  I think that we all meant was that we prefer a long and/or loud sound sermon rather than a short and/or quiet sermon that is sound.  

Anyone who would sacrifice quality for quantity or volume should probably be slapped in the face with a dead fish. 

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members

When we were first married I was really annoyed with my wife when she started her shopping list for the next day during the sermon.  When I told her to stop she said that she had heard it all once and he was repeating himself to fill in the time.  She sai the only preacher she had heard who did not repeat himself was John Stott who she heard when she was at college.  That was when we were in the Brethren.  Now we have been in Baptist churches we don't get repetative preaching, not usually anyway.  

Personally, I don't thing presentations should be part of a Lord's Day service, which should be preachig the word.  I often say this to our church officers as we have non believers in the services that need the preaching and by the time they get to the sermon they have lost interest.  My opinion is that presentations should be for the midweek meeting where we can discuss, and ask questions and then pray about the work  

• Members
8 hours ago, John Young said:

I agree its the content that matters. I can't stand listening to topical sermons in the style of "Elevators in the life of Jonah" or the like. Who cares?!

"Elevators in the Life of Jonah"?????  Ok, now that one was a completely new one for me.  What "elevators"?

• Members
On 12/29/2016 at 7:07 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

"Elevators in the Life of Jonah"?????  Ok, now that one was a completely new one for me.  What "elevators"?

The times Jonah went up and down. For example....

Jonah 1:3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord.

Jonah 1:15 So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging.

Jonah 1:17 Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Jonah 2:6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.

Jonah 2:10 And the Lord spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

• Members

I once visited a Baptist church with a friend and they had a visiting preacher.  His message was something like "God is not only a forgiving God, he is also a for giving God,"  and many people shouted loud amens.  He said "You can see I grought a number of my congregation along."  He kept repeating "God is not only a forgiving God, he is also a for giving God," and more and more joined the amens.  I don't remember him saying much else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, Invicta said:

I once visited a Baptist church with a friend and they had a visiting preacher.  His message was something like "God is not only a forgiving God, he is also a for giving God,"  and many people shouted loud amens.  He said "You can see I grought a number of my congregation along."  He kept repeating "God is not only a forgiving God, he is also a for giving God," and more and more joined the amens.  I don't remember him saying much else.

Sometimes the take away is what the Holy Spirit had in mind for each individual.

• Members
31 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

A few of these made me laugh so hard I think I tinkled a little.

Why Black Preachers? Why not just "10 Types of Preachers"? What difference does their colour make?

• Members
17 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Why Black Preachers? Why not just "10 Types of Preachers"? What difference does their colour make?

The guys that made the video are black and many black people feel the need to attach their color to whatever they do.  Some of the styles are more often found in "black" churches, but I have seen a white preachers do them too; even the "asthma" style.  I just thought it was a funny video.

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members

I am sorry bro.  I didn't watch the video, the title put me off.  From time to time we have black preachers at out church and they are no different in their preaching from any other preacher, except at times from their accent.   We don't have any black members but we do get black visitors from time to time.   We had one this morning who is occasional. and there is another who occasionaly comes in the evening.

When my daughter was working as a nanny in Long Island, she went into a church, not knowing it was a black church.  She sat at the back and a little girl said in a loud whishper, "Mommy. there is a white lady."

Edited by Invicta