• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

COUS COUS

Invicta

• Members

I tried posting my Cous Cous recipe here several times since yesterday evening and each time received the following error message.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@onlinebaptist.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I copied it from Word and pasted it.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
7 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Invicta, that is strange that you can't post it, especially since you can obviously post about it.

I tried it several times Jim, and on another thread but got the same message.

I just tried saving the file in plain text and copying it from notepad but got the same error message.

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

Invicta, after reading your latest reply this morning I remembered that I also had one like that some time ago. I tried everything I could think of to change the formatting, but it wouldn't post. I have never had this happen on any other forum, just this one.

Perhaps if you found the recipe online and just posted a link to it?

• Members
5 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Invicta, after reading your latest reply this morning I remembered that I also had one like that some time ago. I tried everything I could think of to change the formatting, but it wouldn't post. I have never had this happen on any other forum, just this one.

Perhaps if you found the recipe online and just posted a link to it?

Thanks for your reply, Jim, but it is my own recipe.  I typed it up into Word and tried to copy it and paste it.

• Members

I will try to split it up to see what happens.

Cous Cous

When I have  seen a group of people eating  cous  cous outside a street café in France they have had three large bowls.  A bowl with  vegetables in sauce, one with cous cous grain and the third with a selection of meat.  Also small jug of piquant sauce.

Here is my recipe.  It makes quite a lot but you can easily freeze some.

For the vegetable stew you will need.

1 large onion

I courgette (zucchini)

I small aubergine (egg plant)

1 red pepper (bell pepper)

1 large carrot

Celeriac, about the same amount as carrot, or a couple of celery sticks.

Chopped green beans

1 can of chopped tomatoes.

1 can chick peas

Vegetable stock cubes to taste

Ras el Hanout to taste. 

For the meat you will need one of each of the following per person

I chicken thigh fillet  or a couple of chicken wings of ½ breast , 1 lamb chop or ½ lamb steak.  1 spicy merguez sausage.   These can be made of beef, turkey or lamb, or a mixture of these.  I used to always buy a large pack in France and freeze them, but a couple of years ago I found a butcher  in our town who makes beef merguez, but only makes them on days when he is not making anything with gluten. Which reminds me he was going to make a batch today for the weekend, I will have to try to get down tomorrow and buy some. I found that last month Waitrose supermarket has just introduced a gluten free lamb version.

For the piquant sauce

Harissa

For the cous cous

1 packet of cous cous.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Method

Slice onion and green beans and soften in a large pan or wok with olive oil or butter.  Add the rest of the vegetables and the can of tomatoes rinse of the can with water and add that.  You may need another can of tomatoes.   Add the stock and ras el hanout , and simmer for a an hour or so, or you could put it in a slow cooker.  About 20 mins before the end add the chick peas and their liquid.  Adjust the seasoning and spices

The meat

Place the meat on a baking tray, rub in a little olive oil and place in an oven at 180-200C  for about 20-30 mins.  As my wife is a veggie, I put ½ doz mushrooms on a tray in the oven at the same time for her.

The cous cous

Use 75 g per person , that is about 5/8 of a cup for two people.  However much you use, you will need the same amount of water. In a mixing bowl add the cous cous with a little salt and a sprinkling of olive oil.  Add the same amount  of boiling water and place a lid or plate on top and leave for 5 minutes. Then add a knob of soft butter and separate the grains with a fork.

The sauce piquant

Before serving take some of the liquid from the vegetables and place in a small jug.   Add some harissa paste.  If you cannot find harissa add some chili powder or cayenne and stir.

To serve

You can either serve this in large pasta bowls and place the cous cous on the bottom,  the stew next and the meat on top, or you can give the guests  a dish and allow them to help themselves  from a large bowl each of cous cous , stew and meat.  And each can serve their self from the jug of sauce piquant.   The amount of this sauce required and vary greatly according to taste and also how hot the ras el hanout is.  Some brands are hot and some not.

I hope that makes sense.  I have never written it down before.  I just start with a hot pan and go from there, add some olive oil, onion and from then it is w.h.y. Whatever is in the fridge or freezer.  You can omit any veggies you don’t like. 

Oh and I forgot garlic.  Add a clove or two of chopped garlic

Any left over cous cous grains can be made into taboulé which is near east, not to be confused with tabbouleh which is middle east. Confusing isn’t it?

• Administrators
On 12/17/2016 at 8:03 PM, HappyChristian said:

Sounds quite tasty!

I dunno, how could it possibly be tasty with all those nasty veggies? He said you couldleave out any veggies you didn't like, so that just leaves the meat.....works for me!!!

• Members
8 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I dunno, how could it possibly be tasty with all those nasty veggies? He said you couldleave out any veggies you didn't like, so that just leaves the meat.....works for me!!!

Oh dear.  My wife is a vegetarian so we havy lots of NICE vegies.  On Sunday I will expect we will havea Lentil and Cheese Savory  We are hoping to go to my daughter on Boxing Day and I think they will also have the same there.  It is a great favourite in our family.  They will also have turkey and ham.  

Boxing day is 26th December.  There will be all of my daughter's  five offspring there. plus the eldest son's wife.  That is  10 of us.  

Edited by Invicta