• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I Was There

• Members

I Was There

I was there when this little baby girl was born. I saw that her mommy and daddy didn't really want her because they wanted a boy. The little girl was ever so lonesome knowing somehow that she didn't make her parents happy. She sat on the meat-market steps and watched the cars go by on the highway. She tossed pebbles and played catch alone with a little rubber football. As I watched, I saw an elderly gentleman come along. There were few words exchanged between the little girl and man, but somehow a lot was said as the man took the time to play catch with the little girl.

She was like a shy little fawn, quiet, and never wanting to cause trouble for anyone. Animals brought the little girl comfort in her sadness, and she truly loved them. Curled up at night in her bed on the top of a triple bunk, she loved each of her little stuffed animals; not wanting any of them to ever feel left out or unloved. She'd pray for all the animals of the world and she would weep silent tears, as she pleaded with God to be merciful to them, so that they wouldn't suffer. She was indeed comforted imagining the stuffed animals loving her back. I can only imagine the size of the jar that God holds, full of this child's tears.

I continued to watch as this little girl grew. She had Jesus with her, I knew, but I also knew she didn't feel like she was special even to Him. There were times when I'd see the young teenage girl waiting all alone, praying for the phone to ring, desperately hoping that someone might be thinking of her. I could see too, though I'm sure she didn't realize it, that she would always do her best to treat and love others in the way she herself needed to be loved.

I was there when this young woman got married. I was there when her babies were born. The love she had for each one of them was such that none of them should've ever felt unloved or not special. She adored those children, and worked ever so hard to be a mom that would bring blessings to her little ones. She taught her babies all she could about her Jesus, and how He loved them each one as precious, valuable, and special beings...unique in their own way, with a special purpose and job that no one else could do. All the while, I could see her starving and so hungry to know that someone loved her. As I watched, I knew she needed to be gently enveloped and cradled in the arms of her loving Saviour, but I knew too that she didn't know how to accept that love.

My heart broke as I watched her lonesomeness even though surrounded by her precious bundle of a family. I watched her pray for joy and peace, so that she could in turn give it away. I sat and listened as her fingers stumbled over the keys of the piano, and as she softly sang a favorite song of hers (Make Me A Blessing). There were times that she wanted to just be in Heaven because she felt her life was so empty of being a blessing.

Through the years I knew she prayed for a miracle; a miracle from God that her life would be worthwhile for others. When no one else could see, I saw the silent agonized tears that she wept in the dark.

Then one special day, near a holiday season, I have the very special privilege of saying that I saw that miracle tiptoe ever so quietly and gently down from Heaven and blessedly enter her heart. Even now I am stunned to remember how the miracle began seeping through her until it literally radiated out of her with rays like Heavenly sunlight. Her prayers were being answered as her heart and mind finally accepted the outstretched arms of her Creator God. What joy it gave me to see her allowing herself to be cradled and filled by His awesome, eternal, and perfect love. I could see too that she was beginning to find rest, hope, and purpose for her life as she realized that she was chosen and created and accepted just the way she was.

As I continued to watch this miracle unfolding, I so much wanted to reach out and encourage and reassure her; after all, I had "skin on". So, after all those years of watching her, I finally reached out to hold her. As I began to wrap my arms around her precious frame, I was very surprised to find....HER arms around ME.

You see, I was there, and she was ME!

Through the windows of memory, I could finally see the way God saw me. I could see that all along He had wanted me whether anyone else did or not. So with the arms that He gave me and with His Spirit within, I hugged my heart ever tighter returning His love, with mine!

I was there.     -    WWMS

• Members

WellWithMySoul,

Thank you very much for the story, 'I Was There.'

In my devotions I had just finished 1 Corinthians 1

1 Corinthians 1:3 and 4 always bless my heart, "Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort. Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God."

Alan

• Members

Thank you for your kind words, Alan...and those verses are just so fitting and applicable and encouraging.  I long to take "advantage" of all of the sadness in my life with thanksgiving;  to embrace it to God's glory, and to be used as a vessel full of compassion to bring comfort to others (at best, to point others to the greatest Comforter).  As I mentioned in my testimony...all of the gaping and painfully empty voids in my heart left all the more room for God's love, mercy, and grace to fill!  My precious Saviour has taken all of the wounds, and has brought great healing to my heart.  Awww....but the gentleness of that wonderful peace, and the sweetness of that ever "hovering" joy has made all of my history worthwhile!   Yes, I long to encourage others with how mighty and gracious and full of loving kindnesses our dear God is!!  I could shout it from the mountaintops!  I could whisper it in the valleys, and I can silently sing it in my heart!  O what a Saviour!