• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Xtra-pc

Invicta

• Members

I'm sure it works; however, if you (or someone you know) are familiar with installing Linux, you can easily make your own much cheaper. Most Linux operating systems are free, so they're making quite a profit...depending on the cost of the USB they're using. However, I guess $25 isn't outrageous. A really good quality USB costs more than that. In looking at the four USBs they offer, the $79 one looks like the Sandisk USB 3.0 stick that I use for my portable operating system. I carry it with me all the time.

• Members

It's based on Lubuntu which is an official Ubuntu derivative. Lubuntu is designed for older computers but also runs great on newer computers. I used Lubuntu in the past and really liked it. It appears that Xtra-PC has done some modifications to make it easy for someone (like yourself) to use it right away. Since you don't have experience with Linux, this might be a good and easy way for you to get a Linux system up and running. A user can make a portable Linux OS like this, but this just makes it easy for people. If you don't mind spending the money, then it might be a good deal for you.

• Members
18 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

It's based on Lubuntu which is an official Ubuntu derivative. Lubuntu is designed for older computers but also runs great on newer computers. I used Lubuntu in the past and really liked it. It appears that Xtra-PC has done some modifications to make it easy for someone (like yourself) to use it right away. Since you don't have experience with Linux, this might be a good and easy way for you to get a Linux system up and running. A user can make a portable Linux OS like this, but this just makes it easy for people. If you don't mind spending the money, then it might be a good deal for you.

I may buy the $25 one to try in a few months time. I am a bit skint at present due to unexpected expenses, Car repair, lost mobile phone to be replaced etc. I will have to pay postage to UK and  income duty on it, 

Edited by Invicta

• 8 months later...
  • Members
On 12/4/2016 at 7:23 PM, Invicta said:

I "blank-quoted" you here so that you would get a notification from me. I've tried to respond to your latest Linux questions, but it's not allowing me to respond for some reason. Not sure what to do. Do you have another avenue for contact that I can use? Either email, Facebook, or Google+ will work. If so, try sending me the link to contact you with one of those in a private message. I can still read your message; I just can't respond for some reason.

• Members
6 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I "blank-quoted" you here so that you would get a notification from me. I've tried to respond to your latest Linux questions, but it's not allowing me to respond for some reason. Not sure what to do. Do you have another avenue for contact that I can use? Either email, Facebook, or Google+ will work. If so, try sending me the link to contact you with one of those in a private message. I can still read your message; I just can't respond for some reason.

I sent you a pm,  

• Administrators
3 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Got it and just responded. It allowed me to respond to the new message for some reason, but I couldn't respond to the old one...

Perhaps it was an electrical problem. It could have been a "short" between the fingers and the keyboard.   :15_1_63:

• Administrators
20 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

HAHAHA! I'm wondering if it was a limit of how many PMs can be used in a single PM thread...if that makes sense...:laugh:

Actually my old brain could not think of the precise wording of what I said NN. The precise wording is actually, " ashort between your seat and your keyboard". At least that's the way I first heard it along time ago.