• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Rod and Staff

Rosie

• Members

They are the tools of the shepherd.

The Rod was used for protecting and rebuking the sheep, the Staff was used for directing and rescuing the sheep.

The Psalm mentions that these are a comfort to David.

The Rod was used as a weapon against attackers, and was also used to give the sheep a whack when they are going astray.

The Staff was a longer stick, usually with a sort of "crook" in the end, although not always the nice curve that you often see in the pictures.

The staff was used to direct the sheep with a guiding nudge on the side, and it was also used to hook back a sheep or lamb from danger.

So they are for protection, guidance, correction, and safety.

There is more, but that is a basic run down.

By the way, this sort of info is not directly from the Bible, but rather from historical and even current information from the middle eastern shepherding practices.

They don't deal with sheep the same way that "Westerners" do.

The differences between biblical shepherding and western droving (as it is called in Australia) is a really interesting study.

• Administrators

You didn't ask me Rosie and Dave may have a better explanation for his reply, but my understanding is that the rod (correction and defense of the believer) and staff (guidance and instruction) Should be a comfort to the believer, as they are to the shepherds flock. They show the Lord's love and care for his sheep (believers).

• Members

Rosie...several years ago I wrote in my own words the story (which I can't find in print) about the "Shepherd and the Lamb".  It was in my heart to write it and it does not fail when I read it to have tears well up as I see the absolute love the Lord has for us with both the rod and the staff.  What I wrote in my own words is too long for posting here...I think...but I would be willing to email it to you if you'd like?

• Members

13 hours ago, Rosie said:

thank you Dave, but in Psalm 23 thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.. I don't understand what that means... can you explain...or someone else please

Whether it is accurate or not - whenever I have heard it read or read it myself - I always imagined the classic staff with a crook like always pictured in childhood pictures from days gone by. And visualized the use of the one staff as both "rod and staff". One end long and useful as a 'weapon' while the top end, the crook, as the tool for 'saving' - one instrument - two uses - hence "they (both ends) comfort me".

So to me thy rod and thy staff are ways and promises of the Lord's protection and everlasting love. 

Never really had an urge to study anyone's real use of two instruments.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

The rod is a short club used for beating the enemies away.

The staff is use for catching and guiding the sheep.

5460.jpg

Modern staves have a better crook than the wooden ones. The sheep learn what the crook is for and pay attention to where they are being guided. Also it's good for catching them when they do not want to take meds that taste bad or shots that sting. My uncle has sheep and I've been shocked at their friendliness. They have better and bigger personalities than cattle. In fact they seem to be as loving as a good dog. 

• Members

Staff

a. A stick or cane carried as an aid in walking or climbing.
b. A stout stick used as a weapon; a cudgel.
c. A pole on which a flag is displayed; a flagstaff.
d. A rod or baton carried as a symbol of authority.
2. pl. staffs A rule or similar graduated stick used for testing or measuring, as in surveying.
4. Something that serves as a staple or support.

If you see pictures in The Pilgrims Progress by John Bunion he carries a staff,  Helps when he has his belongings on his back (his burden). If you are familiar with the story of Robin Hood you will remember that Robin and Little John both had staffs that they used for walking and for combat.   Before roads began to be made up in the 1820s most roads outside towns were tracks or paths.and people used to walk amazing distances.  It is recorded that one pastor used to walk 23 miles each way to his church every Sunday.  Also known as a stave.  Used for the same purposes.  Also used to stave ones opponent's head or chest in.   

Rod,

Used for measuring,  Rev 11:1  And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

Moses' rod seems to be a  sign of judgement in Genesis 7:15 etc.

Mic 7:14  Feed thy people with thy rod, the flock of thine heritage, which dwell solitarily in the wood, in the midst of Carmel: let them feed in Bashan and Gilead, as in the days of old.

Used throughout the bible as a sign of rule as in:
Rev 2:27  And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. and
Rev 12:5  And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

Rod is also an English measure of 5½ yards (a.k.a. pole or perch)  4 rods, poles or perches = 1 chain, 22 yards, which is the length of a cricket pitch if you are interested. No I didn't think you were. The only modern usage that I know of is for renting allotment gardens which in this area are usually 5 rods, that is square rods.  

But back to the bible, a rod seems to have many different meanings.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Rosie,

I know just a little bit but am still learning. Let me first say that these are Barbado sheep. They are colored differently than the stereotypical white fluffy ones but they are 100% sheep behave essentially like any other breed from my observations. This is "Sissy", "Honeybun" and "Molly" enjoying a head scratch on my staff. Understand that Sissy and Honeybun are much more socialized than my other 100 sheep and Molly is usually a bit standoffish. (I believe we have 102 at the moment) . As you can see, a staff is naturally convenient for leaning on too. See Hebrews 11:21

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Another vital use I have found for my staff, is to literally save myself from tripping over these girls, especially Sissy, when simply trying to walk across the pasture. Sissy, will walk back and forth in front of me with my knees constantly bumping her. But with a staff, I can gently nudge her out of my way.

• Members

Another important use of either a rod or staff, most any stout stick will do, is for defense of the shepherd. A ram can really ruin your day, especially during the rut. Any experienced shepherd with good sense will tell you "never, ever turn your back on a ram". But I've witnessed many times that a ram WILL respect you with a stick in your hand.

12524241_10206191878176961_7673804201012

This is one of our rams, "Big Man" .

12311164_1102661609766638_33002541027499

Edited by heartstrings