• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Mandela Effect?

• Members

Okay...I was perusing YouTube yesterday and saw a video having to do with the Mandela Effect. It looked interesting, so I clicked on it in order to watch it. Judging by similar videos listed, this is a major thing? 

Never heard of it.

What little I watched was ludicrous, but apparently, this supposed "Mandela Effect" is being used as some type of "proof" against the King James Bible? 

Are people so opposed to the KJV, that they will grasp even the most nonsensical, pie-in-the-sky, fruit loop theory in order to hopefully...somehow...someway...discount the truth? 

I guess so.

What a messed up world we live in...and the poor gullible people who buy into this kind of mess simply amazes me. Poor lost souls...willing to believe anything...no matter how outlandish...but they say the Bible is a myth.

• Members

We're crazy for believing in an "invisible man in the sky," but they're sane and scientific believing in alternate universes that change the names of children's books and TV show merchandise.

I am indescribably grateful that we are only responsible for sharing the Gospel and not convincing people.

• Members

I've heard of the Mandela Effect before, was actually joking with my sister about it a few months ago because we 'remember' the wrong spelling for the Berenstain Bears, so we are obviously from an alternate universe and got stuck in this one accidentally. Of course to us it was nothing but a joke and something to poke fun at. But yeah, there are people out there who are completely serious about it. This is the first I've heard that people use this to try to discredit the KJV, though...strange. How/why do they say the Mandela Effect proves the KJV wrong?

• Administrators

"Mandela Effect" was coined by a paranormal "consultant" named Fiona Broome. She remembers Nelson Mandela as having died in the '80s...hence the coinage. It seems to center around whether or not Stan and Jan Berenstain actually knew their own last name. It's funny. I read many of those books to our son when he was younger, and we have some (not many, because I didn't like how the father was always the dumb one...). I never REMEMBERED it being spelled -ein - I ASSUMED that was the spelling until I went to work at the library and had to page (shelve) them. No alternate universe explanation for me. =D Nor Mandela Effect. Simply not paying attention to the author's name/series title, assuming the -ein spelling, explains it. For me as well as most likely anyone else that "misremembers" the spelling.

And then there are the Christians who claim it's all an anti-christ conspiracy (false memories planted to make folks THINK Mandela died and it actually USED to be Berenstein, etc., etc....sigh...

I agree with NN - applying this idea to scripture is simply because people don't want to take the time to learn what God's Word actually says.

http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/no-cern-mandela-effect-not-changed-king-james-bible/

• Moderators

So what you're saying then, having never heard of the Mandela effect, is that people ascribe their own ignorance or, dare I say it, stupidity, not on themselves understanding something wrong, but on an alternate universe where what they remember incorrectly is actually...correct? So you're saying then, that all those times I 'remember' putting my keys where they belonged, I really DID, just in an alternate universe? Wow. It explains everything! Thank you all for giving me a all-inclusive excuse for my errors to my wife. "No honey, I really DID wash the cat, but it must have been in an ALTERNATE DIMENSION!"

• Administrators
Just now, Ukulelemike said:

So what you're saying then, having never heard of the Mandela effect, is that people ascribe their own ignorance or, dare I say it, stupidity, not on themselves understanding something wrong, but on an alternate universe where what they remember incorrectly is actually...correct? So you're saying then, that all those times I 'remember' putting my keys where they belonged, I really DID, just in an alternate universe? Wow. It explains everything! Thank you all for giving me a all-inclusive excuse for my errors to my wife. "No honey, I really DID wash the cat, but it must have been in an ALTERNATE DIMENSION!"

Now you've got it! =D

• Moderators

Maybe the reason so many people thought it was 'Berenstein", is because 'Bearenstain' is way too close to 'bear stain' and who wants to think about bear stains? Who knows what is in a bear stain? Doesn't it just sound unpleasant? "Bear Stain"? Maybe we just as a society have a common distrust and dislike for 'bear stains' so our minds reject it unconsciously. What have those bears been eating, anyways? 

• Members

You know...the more I've thought about this...there might be something to it.

When I was little...like around 5 or 6 years old, I used to love singing this song...

On the road to Portazore...Hal-le-luuuuuujah...

On the road to Portazore...Hal-le-lu-u-jah.

It wasn't until several years later that I heard that it was...

Michael row the boat ashore...Hal-le-luuuuujah.

I absolutely KNOW that I was singing the right words when I was little...but...somehow...they had been changed.

Does that give reason to be conCERNed? LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Edited by No Nicolaitans
oops!