• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Grace from Him who was, who is, and is to come.

• Members

Dear brethren, greeting from Him that has loved us and made us accepted in the beloved. I hold to the Baptist Catechism of 1693 and 1689 Second London Confession (though do not maintain eternal generation or Calvinism), maintain the five solae and read the Authorized Version, God's pure, preserved word in English nine times a year. Thusly, that means maintaining and defending the Second Rabbinic Bible (Daniel Bomberg ben Chayyim 1252 Hebrew text) as well as the Byzantine text (typically Scrivener's or Beza's fifth edition). However, while no modernist, I am no longer a fundamentalist but a Particular Baptist. This means the beliefs of those such as John Bunyan, Issac Bakkus, Benjamin Keach are quite similar to mine. Would I be welcome if not a fundamentalist? May we all love and glorify (Ps. 115; I Jn. 1-5) the only Potentate, king of kings and Lord of Lords. 

Should one not know the solae, shame on you! They are solus Christus, soli Deo gloria, sola fide, sola gratia and sola and tota scriptura. These in one form or another have been the Christian creed from the beginning.

Edited by Particular Baptist

• Members

Hi, and welcome to Online Baptist.

If I may, I would like to ask a few questions just for clarity.

1. My knowledge of Particular Baptists is limited; therefore, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. You said that you don't maintain Calvinism. I understand that those who hold to Reformed Theology today will often state that they aren't Calvinists...I understand that. So, my question is...with my limited knowledge of Particular Baptists, my understanding is that they do hold to Reformed Theology in some degree...or...the Doctrines of Grace (if you will), or whatever terminology is used to describe such. Likewise, does that mean that while you personally may not maintain nor subscribe to being referred to as "a Calvinist", you do have a Reformed Theological belief?

2. You said that while you're not a modernist, you are no longer a fundamentalist. Now...by fundamentalist, are you referring to the stereotypical image that is often used to describe "fundamentalists"? Such as, fundamentalists are often viewed and portrayed as...hate-mongers, standard-pushers, hell-fire-and-brimstone preachers, unloving, unaccepting, etc., or are you referring to a fundamentalist as someone who adheres to the fundamentals of the faith?

3. If you are no longer a fundamentalist, did you know that Online Baptist was a fundamentalist forum when you joined?

4. If your answer to #3 is yes, may I ask why you joined?

Those are sincere questions meant cordially. :)

• Members
58 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Hi, and welcome to Online Baptist.

If I may, I would like to ask a few questions just for clarity.

1. My knowledge of Particular Baptists is limited; therefore, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. You said that you don't maintain Calvinism. I understand that those who hold to Reformed Theology today will often state that they aren't Calvinists...I understand that. So, my question is...with my limited knowledge of Particular Baptists, my understanding is that they do hold to Reformed Theology in some degree...or...the Doctrines of Grace (if you will), or whatever terminology is used to describe such. Likewise, does that mean that while you personally may not maintain nor subscribe to being referred to as "a Calvinist", you do have a Reformed Theological belief?

2. You said that while you're not a modernist, you are no longer a fundamentalist. Now...by fundamentalist, are you referring to the stereotypical image that is often used to describe "fundamentalists"? Such as, fundamentalists are often viewed and portrayed as...hate-mongers, standard-pushers, hell-fire-and-brimstone preachers, unloving, unaccepting, etc., or are you referring to a fundamentalist as someone who adheres to the fundamentals of the faith?

3. If you are no longer a fundamentalist, did you know that Online Baptist was a fundamentalist forum when you joined?

4. If your answer to #3 is yes, may I ask why you joined?

Those are sincere questions meant cordially. :)

Yes, I am aware this is a fundamentalist board, but it also maintains the Authorized Version, which is rare to find in this apostate day. Because it is a fundamentalist board, I can call something for what it is without fear of retaliation (mostly)- such as saying Billy Graham was a goatish false prophet and Jack Hyles was the worst kind of anathematized, adulterous Arminian antinomian. Most fundamentalists do not know they are the spawn of the 1830s New School Old School split documented in the histories of Griffin and Hassell. After reading almost a millenary of creeds, it is indesputable the forerunners were believers in a singular work, monergism, not synergists. After realizing fundamentalism is the grandson of the split, it did not seem that one could be both- and as a fundamentalist was not a dispensationalist or a zionist. I'll bless Israel when they bless the King. The issue was the movement, not the idea in the fundamentals of the Christian faith on our Lord. Finally, the Calvinist generally believes in duty faith, which we do not. He thinks man must do something to be added to the book of life when John 3.6-9, II Corinthians 5.17 or I John 5 teach regeneration is immidiate, not a process preceeded by the new birth. They as well believe in the saints' preservation; while there is a hot debate raging among some, we favor preservation over perseverance. If you have ever studied Bunyan, you know what most Primitive, Old School Particular, Gospel Standard and similar types believe. Also, though we do believe in particular redemption (hence the name) we believe in an atonement effiecient and sufficient for the elect alone. The Calvinists according to their sundry confessions generally believe in an atonement sufficient for all, effecient for the elect. Since Protestants ultimately are the Harlot's daughters, and while we love them in Immanuel, it is they not we who apostacized starting in the second century anno domini. They placed a popish spin on what they took from us.  

In general, if Rome the Babylonian Whore believes it, we do not! Might you kindly answer if I as an Old School Particular Baptist am welcome?

Edited by Particular Baptist

• Members

If you are freindly, respectful, and even tempered in discussions you will be welcome.

If you become harsh,  disrespectful, and rude, then you will be excluded regardless of beliefs.

Indeed we have some here who do not agree with most who are still here, whilst there have been some who are solid IFB in position who have been excluded for overstepping the mark in conduct.

And of course there have been many false teachers who have been excluded as their false positions become evident.

Long and short of it: if you play nice you can stay in the playground. 

(Note: that decision is up to the moderators, not simple folk like me. )

Edited by DaveW
Phone spelling.

• Members
10 hours ago, Particular Baptist said:

Dear brethren, greeting from Him that has loved us and made us accepted in the beloved. I hold to the Baptist Catechism of 1693 and 1689 Second London Confession (though do not maintain eternal generation or Calvinism), maintain the five solae and read the Authorized Version, God's pure, preserved word in English nine times a year. Thusly, that means maintaining and defending the Second Rabbinic Bible (Daniel Bomberg ben Chayyim 1252 Hebrew text) as well as the Byzantine text (typically Scrivener's or Beza's fifth edition). However, while no modernist, I am no longer a fundamentalist but a Particular Baptist. This means the beliefs of those such as John Bunyan, Issac Bakkus, Benjamin Keach are quite similar to mine. Would I be welcome if not a fundamentalist? May we all love and glorify (Ps. 115; I Jn. 1-5) the only Potentate, king of kings and Lord of Lords. 

Should one not know the solae, shame on you! They are solus Christus, soli Deo gloria, sola fide, sola gratia and sola and tota scriptura. These in one form or another have been the Christian creed from the beginning.

8 hours ago, Particular Baptist said:

Yes, I am aware this is a fundamentalist board, but it also maintains the Authorized Version, which is rare to find in this apostate day. Because it is a fundamentalist board, I can call something for what it is without fear of retaliation (mostly)- such as saying Billy Graham was a goatish false prophet and Jack Hyles was the worst kind of anathematized, adulterous Arminian antinomian. Most fundamentalists do not know they are the spawn of the 1830s New School Old School split documented in the histories of Griffin and Hassell. After reading almost a millenary of creeds, it is indesputable the forerunners were believers in a singular work, monergism, not synergists. After realizing fundamentalism is the grandson of the split, it did not seem that one could be both- and as a fundamentalist was not a dispensationalist or a zionist. I'll bless Israel when they bless the King. The issue was the movement, not the idea in the fundamentals of the Christian faith on our Lord. Finally, the Calvinist generally believes in duty faith, which we do not. He thinks man must do something to be added to the book of life when John 3.6-9, II Corinthians 5.17 or I John 5 teach regeneration is immidiate, not a process preceeded by the new birth. They as well believe in the saints' preservation; while there is a hot debate raging among some, we favor preservation over perseverance. If you have ever studied Bunyan, you know what most Primitive, Old School Particular, Gospel Standard and similar types believe. Also, though we do believe in particular redemption (hence the name) we believe in an atonement effiecient and sufficient for the elect alone. The Calvinists according to their sundry confessions generally believe in an atonement sufficient for all, effecient for the elect. Since Protestants ultimately are the Harlot's daughters, and while we love them in Immanuel, it is they not we who apostacized starting in the second century anno domini. They placed a popish spin on what they took from us.  

In general, if Rome the Babylonian Whore believes it, we do not! Might you kindly answer if I as an Old School Particular Baptist am welcome?

Brother "Particular Baptist,"

Welcome. Based upon the above, I expect some interesting discussions with you as the future proceeds.

• Members
11 hours ago, Particular Baptist said:

Might you kindly answer if I as an Old School Particular Baptist am welcome?

I can't speak authoritatively for Online Baptist; however, I think it's safe to say that everyone is welcome here. While you have much in common with us, the majority of the people here would claim to be neither Reformed nor Arminian. For instance, while I may agree with your assessment of Jack Hyles' character, I would disagree that he was an Arminian...much like you disagree with someone calling you a Calvinist.

So, yes, you're welcome here.

Edited by No Nicolaitans
Indescriminate punctuation descrimination