• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When your church forsakes soul-winning

• Members

Hello all,

There is something that is weighing heavily upon my heart and I am uncertain about what I should do and the timing of the ideas that I do have.

I finally joined an IFB church in my city last April and have been attending every service steadily just recently.  I have been reading literature and watching/listening to online sermons about the importance of soul-winning and I have been deeply convicted that it is something that I absolutely must do, but I have never been soul-winning or even passed out Gospel tracts.

On my church's website, it says that they do "visitation" every Monday evening and that "soul-winning" is scheduled for Saturday mornings.  The fact that they had soul-winning on their schedule is one of the big reasons that I wanted to explore this church.  

I learned that, on Monday evenings, between 4 and five men choose a few streets and simply deliver a bifold flier that contains an invitation to the church first, information about the pastor second and then a short plan of salvation at the end.  Then they do a face-to-face visit with anyone who inquires by calling the church.

I have asked three deacons and the pastor if they ever do door-to-door, face-to-face soul-winning and they all have told me that that is something that they never do.  One of the deacons even told me that he thinks that kind of soul-winning is a bad idea, that it doesn't work and that he hates doing it anyway.  This absolutely shocked me seeing that it is an IFB church.

I got into a conversation with another man who has been a member there for about four years.  He said that, many years ago, he used to be on fire for soul-winning and would do it anywhere he possibly could and at every opportunity.  He faded away from the church for a while, but eventually returned, but has not been soul-winning since.  He said that he wished that our church did real soul-winning and that he doesn't understand why they don't.  He seems like the kind of man who might get excited about it with me and whom I might be able to talk into approaching church leadership about this issue.

As I said earlier, I am very new to the church and am not even, technically, a member yet (I will be joining within the next week or so).  I don't want to come across as the excited new troublemaking face, stirring things up.  I also hesitate because I have never been soul-winning and I have no Idea what I am talking about.  I also don't wish to come across as disrespectful to the pastor, church leaders or the church body.  (I am total that membership consists of about 70 people and that, at 43 years old, I am one of the youngest there; with the exception of a handful of children.)

Forgive me if this is a bit long winded, but I need advice from more seasoned brethren than I about how to deal with this.  I believe that God commands every one of us to go soul-winning.  I don't want to just find a different church who does go soul-winning because that seems to just leave the issue to someone else.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

(Romans 10:13-18) "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. {14} How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? {15} And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! {16} But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? {17} So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. {18} But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world."

Sincerely and respectfully,

Brother Stafford

Edited by Brother Stafford

• Members

I am personally happy to see that you are really interested in door-to-door visiation and soul-winning efforts.

The scriptures plainly teach, "And the lord said unto the servant, God out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be full." Luke 14:23 

"And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ." Acts 5:42

Our problem in this day and age is that we do not visit and soul-win enough.

It is commendable that the church that you are considering joining is an IFB church that does go out on active visitation efforts (at least with flyers). But, it seems that the actual soul-winning efforts has been curtailed through some people either abusing it, not liking the idea of soul-winning, or just plain scared.

I do not know the reason, but, I do know that if people look at reasons for not soul-winning there is a problem. "He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap." Ecclesiastes 11:4 If a Christian looks at the problems of soul-winning, the hindrances of soul-winning and observes the problems thereof, he will find an excuse for not soul-winning.

In your case, I am not sure what to advise. Take it slowly no matter what you do. If there was another IFB, King James believing, church that is actively out soul winning than I probably would go there for awhile and pray about the situation. It is hard to imagine a good IFB not actively out soul winning.

Keep us informed. We do hope that best for you and that God will lead you.

Edited by Alan
your to you (grammer)

• Members

Thank you for your thoughts, Brother Alan.

19 minutes ago, Alan said:

If there was another IFB, King James believing, church that is actively out soul winning than I probably would go there for awhile and pray about the situation. 

I was thinking about visiting the pastor of an IFB from a neighboring city that does soul-winning (and annual, week long, old fashioned tent revivals) and ask him if I could go with them to learn how to go soul-winning and for his advice as well.  I really don't want to leave my present church because of this issue.  I feel so strongly about this that it almost feels like God calling me to help Him wake this church up to soul-winning.  I don't presume to be anything special; I just want to be obedient to God's commands.

I think I would only leave if, after eventually discussing the issue for a period of time, that they absolutely refused to do it.  If a church, and its leadership, was being willfully disobedient to the word of God, then that would be my cue to find another church.

• Members

While fliers are great getting the word out about a new church, its far too easy to toss "that garbage" off the door into the trash and not give it a second thought. 

On average only 1 in 1,000 flyers will get a person to visit your church while 1 in 100 friendly face to face invitations with that flyer will get a visitor. Also an average 1 in 10 people accepting Christ's salvation at the door will visit. The more personal the visit the more likely they will come back. The flyer visitor is less likely to come back and the personal salvation visitor is the most likely to join the church and become active.

The main reason actual door knocking is not done is because one has to endure 99 rejections to their personal invitation to get the one visitor to church and when giving the gospel at the door one has to endure 9 people declining to hear the gospel to get the one who will accept. Flyers on the door with no personal interaction gives the feeling of witnessing for Christ and eliminates the feeling of personal rejection but gets the least lasting results.

Its probably not that the church does not want to witness but they just need a jolt of encouragement of one or two who will commit to doing it. Once the initial nervousness at the start is overcome, it will be more comfortable to do. The key is to be prepared for what to say at the door visit and always default to it in a friendly manor.

1,000 flyers about the church = 1 visits (More will come if it is for community awareness of a new church or special activities that draw people to an event)
1,000 Personal invitations just to the church = 10 visits (best for building community relationships and getting people understand a special program the church may have like Bus, Addictions, financing, etc. that they may not get anywhere else.)
1,000 Gospel presentations, with an invitation to be baptized at the church the following Sunday = 100 visits (best for saving souls. More people will be saved then will visit. Some will already have a church or decide to go to a family or friends church.)

Praying for you and your church!

Edited by John Young

• Members
4 hours ago, John Young said:

Also an average 1 in 10 people accepting Christ's salvation at the door will visit. The more personal the visit the more likely they will come back.

John Young,

I agree.

In the last month we had two men visit the church that we won to Christ while on visitation the previous month.

Most of our faithful members at our church came due to a personal visit at their home.

Alan

• Members

Those who say soul winning doesn't work need to repent of their laziness and lack of faith. 

I have been going door to door for about 5 years and I am telling you I have been able to give out the Gospel by mouth uncountable times, and I have seen instances where professions of faith were made and where people came to church. It's a whole lot more effective than doing nothing...I wonder honestly how many professions of faith or visitors to church those are against door to door have actually had...

I put together a course on evangelism if you are interested I will send you the audio files if you message me.

I recommend:

1. Talk to the Pastor about it and express your burden and desire-If he doesn't change then I would strongly consider finding another church that does soul winning.

2. Try to find someone in the church and go out with them and knock doors with them and witness to people.

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

Also another thought...it's not our responsibility if it works or "doesn't work". Our job is to preach the Gospel. Therefore if we can get people to just listen to the Gospel, or if we are at least attempting to give people the Gospel door to door...then we are doing what we are suppose to do.

God is probably more pleased with the person who gives the Gospel 1000 times and sees none saved than, than with the person who gives the Gospel ten times and sees one saved..

plus we have no idea of knowing if it's really working or not..but we do have a promise that Gods word will not return void, and of course you already mentioned Romans 10... 

"A sower went forth to sow...the seed is the word of God".

Seed takes time to grow... I imagine these people either A. Think sowing doesn't work because it doesn't yield immediate results or B. Are too lazy to sow the seed and want an excuse.

James 5:7-8 KJV
[7] Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. [8] Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

Get out there and sow the seed my friend and God will bless.

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
1 hour ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

Also another thought...it's not our responsibility if it works or "doesn't work". Our job is to preach the Gospel. Therefore if we can get people to just listen to the Gospel, or if we are at least attempting to give people the Gospel door to door...then we are doing what we are suppose to do.

I agree.  God is the one who gives the increase and we may never even get to see it ourselves.  It may be ten years down the line and at a different church in a different state.

(1 Corinthians 3:6-7) "I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. {7} So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase."

When someone says that verbally sharing the Gospel with people no longer works, it would seem that they are, probably unknowingly, saying that God's words has lost their power.

• Members

Acts 20:20-21 KJV
[20] And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you , but have shewed you, and have taught you publicly, and from house to house, [21] Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

Those who say soul winning doesn't work need to repent of their laziness and lack of faith. 

I wonder honestly how many professions of faith or visitors to church those are against door to door have actually had...

1. Maybe, maybe not. Try not to paint with such a broad brush.

2. None, most likely. That's why they're discouraged.

11 hours ago, John Young said:

The main reason actual door knocking is not done is because one has to endure 99 rejections to their personal invitation to get the one visitor to church and when giving the gospel at the door one has to endure 9 people declining to hear the gospel to get the one who will accept.

You have one in 10 people who hear the gospel accept?! I've heard of maybe 1... or 2 people accepting at the door.

Brother Stafford, why don't you and the other fellow who would like to go set a time and start going? I doubt your pastor would be against it.  It can be unofficial or you could set a time on the church calendar - even if it ends up being just the two of you. And as they see your excitement (and hopefully results), eventually others may be interested. Just don't try to make a thing of it or force others to participate. People forced to participate in 'soul-winning' aren't going to be any use anyways, and not everyone is called to service in the exact same way.

• Moderators

For may years after I became the pastor where I am surving, we did door-to-door, face-to-face witnessing and soulwinning. From time to time we had 'decisions' made, but the bottom line was, we never saw anything happen. No one ever came to the church to learn, no one wanted Bible studies, zero-zip-nada. That is why I stopped here.

Now, there is a little more to the story here: first we live in an extremely small community. I mean, seriously, we could hit every house in the area in maybe three to four weeks before we began to repeat. You can't go back to every house every month to two months-people get tired of you really quick. There are a lot of people who have been here for many years and have already decided whther they will be saved or go to church or not-and with only three churches to choose from locally, and a few more many miles away, there isn't much choice. In a smaller town like this you have to be creative. everyone knows we're here, many have heard me in some shape or another.

We also held two tent revivals-the first we might have had 35 people, the second, no one outside of our own church came. We held the meeting in what could be considerd the middle of town-accross the parking lot from the post office, the one place everyone goes to daily. yet many people told me they never as much as noticed the huge tent sticking out like a sore thumb. Now we no longer have access to the tent so we can't do it anymore anyways.

It is about time to hit some doors again as its been a while, but there is no one way to do it-the area, the size, the type of people, (we are very agricultural here), all need to be considered when deciding on how to reach them.

I am working on a creation vs evolution meeting that I hope might bring some more in when I do it, another method to reach and to give the gospel.

• Members

I think I'm going to play hookey from my church tonight and visit that church in the neighboring city to speak with the pastor there.  

2 hours ago, Salyan said:

Brother Stafford, why don't you and the other fellow who would like to go set a time and start going? I doubt your pastor would be against it.  It can be unofficial or you could set a time on the church calendar - even if it ends up being just the two of you. And as they see your excitement (and hopefully results), eventually others may be interested. Just don't try to make a thing of it or force others to participate. People forced to participate in 'soul-winning' aren't going to be any use anyways, and not everyone is called to service in the exact same way.

In order for me to stay in this church, the leadership has to be more than just "not against it;" they need to be enthusiastically for it.  If the leadership of my church, after making my case for soul-winning, does not have a change of heart and be for, not only the membership, but for leadership doing it themselves, then that would be a sign of blatant disobedience of the word of God and I would not feel confident in receiving instruction from such leadership.

• Members

Maybe you should try to figure out why they don't before you blast them like this.

There may be good reason not to - like maybe the pastor wanted to but was worn out by having to constantly push just to get some interest, and eventually gave up out of frustration?

Talk to the pastor about it - you may be the encouragement he needs to start again. 

• Members
2 hours ago, DaveW said:

Maybe you should try to figure out why they don't before you blast them like this.

There may be good reason not to - like maybe the pastor wanted to but was worn out by having to constantly push just to get some interest, and eventually gave up out of frustration?

Talk to the pastor about it - you may be the encouragement he needs to start again. 

My apologies if I came across as unkind or "blasting" toward my church or its leadership; that was not my intention.  Sometimes the written word betrays our emotional intentions.

As I stated in my original post, I have spoken briefly with my pastor and two of the deacons and all three of them show absolutely no interest in soul-winning whatsoever and that one of the deacons says it's a bad idea.  Another deacon said that he's too old to even pass out the fliers.  When I was invited to pass out the fliers with them, I asked them if they ever "knocked on doors," and they all said no.  I asked each of them if they would be open to the idea of "door knocking soul-winning" and they all said no.  I asked the pastor if they ever used to go soul-winning, and he said that they have not gone in the fifteen years since he has pastored the church.  The deacon who said that he was too old to go has been a member since the church was built in 1956 and they the church has never done door knocking soul-winning since it was built.

I called the church in the neighboring city earlier this evening and the pastor was rather brash, disinterested and sounded a but drunk.  He told me that they no longer do soul-winning.

Edited by Brother Stafford
Grammar

• Members
6 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

I think I'm going to play hookey from my church tonight and visit that church in the neighboring city to speak with the pastor there.  

In order for me to stay in this church, the leadership has to be more than just "not against it;" they need to be enthusiastically for it.  If the leadership of my church, after making my case for soul-winning, does not have a change of heart and be for, not only the membership, but for leadership doing it themselves, then that would be a sign of blatant disobedience of the word of God and I would not feel confident in receiving instruction from such leadership.

I agree with this.