• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
On September 1, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Ukulelemike said:

I higly recommend AGAINST this book. In fact, I would recommend the book, "John Piper and Christian Hedonism" which is a free ebook available here: http://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/john_piper_and_hedonism.php  Dangerous stuff.

When you say "Easy to read" do you mean you don't read well, or you're not wanting any serious doctrine? I don't like to recommend light, sugary fluff, because that's not what the Christian life is about. It is serious business, so I try to recommend serious books. I would steer clear of Max Lucado, as well. David Cloud is an excellent author with a lot of books about the Christian life. Foxe's Book of Martyrs is an excellent book, but will break your heart for what Christianity used to be.

Bones of Contention, written by Marvin Lubenow, disproving the icons of evolution. Make sure of the author because the title has been used many times.

Touch Not the Unclean Thing, by David Soerenson, about the Bible version issue.

New Age Bible Versions by Gail Riplinger

Why I Left the Contemporary Christian Music Movement by Dan Lucarini. He also recently wronte another book on the music issue, "It's Not About the Music", which I haven't read, so while I like him I can't yet recommend it.

I completely agree with this post minus the promotion of Gail Riplinger. Gail Riplinger is dishonest in her use of quotes. I found a website where they showed examples of her splicing two different quotes about Wescott or Hort into one quote. I even double checked it at that time and it was true. I believe she is manipulative and dishonest and she discredits the King James position.

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

I completely agree with this post minus the promotion of Gail Riplinger. Gail Riplinger is dishonest in her use of quotes. I found a website where they showed examples of her splicing two different quotes about Wescott or Hort into one quote. I even double checked it at that time and it was true. I believe she is manipulative and dishonest and she discredits the King James position.

To be honest, hers was one of the first books I read on the subject and it got me into the study. At the time I never did much study into what she said--well I did in some areas, enough to see that at least MOST of what she said about W/H was accurate, AND what she did in her comparrison of the versions is excellent, as well.

I have also read that she is a Ruckman-style KJO, though in reading her books I haven't seen that, though maybe I missed it. Time to read it again.

By the way, in reference to my earlier post, I just got the Dan Lucarini book I mentioned, "It's Not About the Music", that I ordered and started it last night. I'll give a report on it when I'm finished.  For those who don't know him, he was a 'worship leader' for many years, but on conducting a Bible study on worship, he found that music had nothing to do with worship in scripture and began to take a closer look at worship music, worship bands, and the whole CCM movement, and ended up leaving it and repudiating it. His first book, Why I Left the Contemporary Christian Music Movement if a very good book that I would recommend to anyone questioning the issue.

• Administrators

Long Knife is indeed an incredible read! As are Panther in the Sky and Follow the River by the same author. Panther is the story of Tecumseh. Follow is the story of Mary Ingles, who was taken by Indians - she escaped and the story details her journey home. Also an incredible read!He's written a couple of other books about the Clark family as well as Long Knife. I've not read those, but they are likely pretty good as well. 

They are historical fiction, as Alan pointed out, and so are not completely factual (after all, complete conversations would be quite hard to come by...), but the historical events and people are very well researched and represented.  IMO, I think these books are better reads than Lucado.  I'm a bit of a history buff, though.

• Members
On 9/8/2016 at 2:53 AM, Particular Baptist said:

Anything new evangelical should not be read, at least in my notion. There are no new evangelical materials in this house. Some theological works I enjoyed are Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress, Luther's response to Erasmus' On the Freedom of the Will called On the Bondage of the Will, as well as Henry Ford's The International Jew. Ford seemed to love the Lord Jesus per his writings. Though vulgar at times, Anne Rowe Seaman's expose called Swaggart was a useful resource tool on the Pentecostal movement and that wave without wind in Baton Rouge. JA Wylie's The Papacy is Antichrist and The Jesuits are true treats. His book on the Vadouis or Waldensians is highly praised. Luther's The Jews and Their Lies has useful information; he was wrong to advocate certian things in the book. When they say the word "Jesu", it is actually a cipher for 316, mocking John 3.16. Cornwell's book Hitler's Pope on Pius XII is revealing into how the Unholy See supported Hitler during the Second World War. 

Also on how the papacy supported Hitler, read The Vatican Against Europe By Edmund Paris or Vatican Imperialism in the 20th Century. by Avro Manhattan, both were first published in the late 1950s.  There is also The Secret History of the Jesuits also by Edmund Paris, reprinted by Chick Publications.  There are claims that both these authors met their demise at the hands of the Jesuits.

Edited by Invicta