• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Gap theory GARBAGE

• Members

HappyChristian,

Excellent article by Dr. Morris. Thank you very much for bringing it to out attention. One of the finest articles that properly, and in a good manner, condenses the issues involved, correctly explains the fallacy of the the, "Gap theory," at why even the atheistic scientists do not accept it (even though some fine saints think it explains the geologic ages). The Gap Theory does undermine the gospel, the credibility of the scriptures, and has divided some fine brethren.

God created everything in this universe in 6 literal, 24 hour, days, exactly like Genesis tells us.

Thanks again.

Alan

• Members

There are all kinds of reasons some profess to ascribe to the gap theory. But I believe the biggest reason is really to COMPROMISE with the world :( God's word never tells us to compromise with the world... instead we are to turn away.  What fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? 

Matt. 6:24 "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

Gal. 1:10 "For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ."

The devil has found all kinds of sneaky ways to invade churches... and every one of them starts out with a compromise with mankind (really a compromise with the devil). There are numerous reasons for this... but they all stem back to pleasing either self or others (mankind) and not pleasing/serving the Lord above all else. We shouldn't be shocked since we are living in the perilous last days spoken of in 2 Tim.3:1-5. Verse 13 of the same chapter tells us what to expect (and it's exactly what we see today) " But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived."

Same thing we were told would happen ... it's here and now! 2 Tim. 4:3-4;  3 "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;"  4 "And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

The gap theory? A fable based on compromise. Some would say it's "no big deal" since it's not a salvational issue... but is that true? Once compromise is made in one part, compromise can be expected to be made in other parts, and eventually in all parts. Once a teacher or pastor teaches this false teaching of the "gap theory", then everything that comes out of their mouths becomes suspect (to me). I started this thread on a day when I was upset because a pastor I had been listening to for some time (and had formerly thought to be sound) taught a sermon on this erroneous "gap theory"... and since that time I've heard (from others, since I no longer listen to him myself) that he has made other compromises and become unsound in other realms of scripture as well. So he may have started out teaching sound doctrine, and even may STILL be teaching that salvation is through belief in Jesus alone (and not or works)... but how long before he compromises there as well??? If the devil gets a foothold in the door, the door may be only slightly open for him at first, but quickly the door becomes wide open once compromise is made. A LITTLE leaven leaveneth the WHOLE LUMP!  That's all it takes... Mix in a TINY bit of yeast into the dough of the bread and soon it will multiply rapidly, expanding (and it's also telling that the dough becomes "puffed up" as it enlarges).  So it is with all compromises with the world (which are, in actuality, compromises with the devil).

• Members

One of the popular devices for

trying to accommodate the evolutionary ages of the geologists and astronomers in the creation record of the Bible has been the "gap theory"—also called the "ruin-and-reconstruction" theory.

Not necessarily. Like I said before, the only reason I even consider the "gap theory" is because of the dinosaurs. What happened to them? And I will ask again: why have no dinosaur remains been discovered in places like the LaBrea Tar Pits even though hundreds of other extinct animals including "megafauna" have? We believe those sabretoothed cats, mastodons, mammoths and giant ground sloths were on the Ark right? So why no dinos? You can call that "compromise" if you want, But I look at it as seeking the truth. Isn't that what we're supposed to be about? I've heard men say a lot of wild stuff from a pulpit too(including promoting the Gap Theory), and the very same men threw the word "compromisers" around quite a lot. But I think God is pleased if we want to know the truth.

• Members
5 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I can't answer about the tar pits, but dinosaur fossils are found in many places.

My personal opinion is that the dinosaurs went extinct from lack of food, possible climate changes post flood, and men hunting and killing them.

Yeah, Noah and his buds must have been running lots of factories, driving SUV's, raising too many cows, and spraying their hair with VOC's, :)

Hey...I could make that into a song.....

:huh:

• Members
9 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Yeah, Noah and his buds must have been running lots of factories, driving SUV's, raising too many cows, and spraying their hair with VOC's, :)

Hey...I could make that into a song.....

:huh:

:lol:

Well, I'm not a professional climatologistastorian, but I would assume that with the entire planet being covered in water and the subsequent evaporation of all of that water and its possible effect on the hydrologic cycle, it would have some type of effect on the climate that perhaps the dinosaurs couldn't adapt to easily...that's also why I said "possible" climate change. I didn't mean to infer climate change like what is promoted today.

• Members

It makes more sense to me to believe that none of these species (big mammals like mammoths or dinos) were including on the Ark and God most likely did this for a reason. Their size alone would preclude them from inclusion on the ark and this was by God's design and His plan not to allow their continued existence post flood. The logical reason being that these species were an unreasonable nuisance to man's repopulation of the earth.

This makes more sense to me than the hypothetical idea of the gap.

• Members
31 minutes ago, wretched said:

It makes more sense to me to believe that none of these species (big mammals like mammoths or dinos) were including on the Ark and God most likely did this for a reason. Their size alone would preclude them from inclusion on the ark and this was by God's design and His plan not to allow their continued existence post flood. The logical reason being that these species were an unreasonable nuisance to man's repopulation of the earth.

This makes more sense to me than the hypothetical idea of the gap.

Hmmm...I've always assumed that perhaps of the large animals, only young ones were brought onto the Ark to save room; however, even a young brontosaurus would have been pretty big! So, your comment sparked a new idea in me...and it's probably not new, but I've never thought of it or heard of it before. Perhaps the key is in the wording...

Gen 6:19-20
19   And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
20   Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

I do believe the scripture is explicit; in that, what would go on the Ark was "of every living thing". So, I still believe that dinosaurs were included; however, the words "kind" and "of" are used, so that could very well exclude the large dinosaurs. All that was needed were "kinds"..."of" dinosaurs. Perhaps the only KINDS OF the dinosaurs brought onto the Ark were things like alligators, lizards, etc.? I don't know...just a thought...but it makes sense...to me. :lol:

• Members

I was getting ready to post the "Every" living thing, thing but you beat me to it. :)

So, if there were any dinos around, Noah had to let them march up the gang-plank; unless he disobeyed when he saw those two T-Rex's coming...AAAAAHHH Mama shut the door!!! ;)

Edited by heartstrings

• Members
21 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Hmmm...I've always assumed that perhaps of the large animals, only young ones were brought onto the Ark to save room; however, even a young brontosaurus would have been pretty big! So, your comment sparked a new idea in me...and it's probably not new, but I've never thought of it or heard of it before. Perhaps the key is in the wording...

Gen 6:19-20
19   And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
20   Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

I do believe the scripture is explicit; in that, what would go on the Ark was "of every living thing". So, I still believe that dinosaurs were included; however, the words "kind" and "of" are used, so that could very well exclude the large dinosaurs. All that was needed were "kinds"..."of" dinosaurs. Perhaps the only KINDS OF the dinosaurs brought onto the Ark were things like alligators, lizards, etc.? I don't know...just a thought...but it makes sense...to me. :lol:

Key is in the "kinds" IMO. There is only a mention or two of any kind of creature that could match a dino in the Bible or a mammoth/mastodon (besides mother in laws of course). In Job which I believe is the only part of Scripture dictated pre flood and in Psalms (which transcended all of history IMO). Although man makes much ado about dinos and whatnot, God doesn't. Hence my beliefs their "kinds" in smaller packages were included like alligators, elephants, bears, etc.

Edited by wretched

• Members

There are plenty of examples of dino fossils with other creatures' fossils.

Just because someone says there are no dino fossils in some tarpits doesn't  negate the other evidence. It means either no dinos died THERE, or no dino remains have been found there yet.

All dino egg evidence shows that even the largest dinos would have been no larger than a medium sized dog at hatching, so size would not preclude young dinos on the ark.

And in fact most dinos were relatively small creatures anyway.

Aligators and moden lizards are not dinos.

There is plenty of evidence of dinos right into the 1800's at least, and even modern reports from places like the Amazon, Africa, Papua New Guinea.

Dinos WERE on tge ark, because that is the simplest reading of Scripture, and other reptiles don't  cut it for dinosaur kind. They are different.

• Members
2 hours ago, DaveW said:

There are plenty of examples of dino fossils with other creatures' fossils.

Just because someone says there are no dino fossils in some tarpits doesn't  negate the other evidence. It means either no dinos died THERE, or no dino remains have been found there yet.

All dino egg evidence shows that even the largest dinos would have been no larger than a medium sized dog at hatching, so size would not preclude young dinos on the ark.

And in fact most dinos were relatively small creatures anyway.

Aligators and moden lizards are not dinos.

There is plenty of evidence of dinos right into the 1800's at least, and even modern reports from places like the Amazon, Africa, Papua New Guinea.

Dinos WERE on tge ark, because that is the simplest reading of Scripture, and other reptiles don't  cut it for dinosaur kind. They are different.

I see little difference between artist's conceptions of mammoths, mastodons, or dinos and the actual appearance of elephants, bears and lizards or gators/crocs apart from size and extra long fur in some cases. Even the wild guessing of scientists link them together when describing the extinct ones most of the time.

Besides I like my theory much more than yours....