• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Peter knew Jesus would not return in his lifetime

• Members

¶ Simon Peter sayd vnto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Iesus answered him, Whither I goe, thou canst not follow me now: but thou shalt follow me afterwards.

Uerily, verily I say vnto thee, whē thou wast yong, thou girdedst thy selfe, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carie thee whither thou wouldest not.

19 This spake hee, signifying by what death he should glorifie God. And when he had spoken this, he sayth vnto him, Follow me. 1611 King James Bible

Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards. 

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.

19 This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me. 1769 King James Bible

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Peter wasn't going to live to see the rapture when preaching Acts 2. All I've heard and read Peter thought (mind readers) Jesus was coming at any second and had no clue Jesus would stay away for his whole lifetime. 

Edited by MountainChristian
barely literate

• Members

I heard a preacher mention that, when Peter was arrested by Herod in Acts 12, he wasn't worried about being killed as John had been. In his preaching (it was a side point, not the thrust of the message) he said Peter probably asked for a mirror and when he saw his hair wasn't grey and his legs still strong he knew he had a few years yet.

I had never thought about it until then, but whatever Peter preached, he knew he had enough years to grow old to keep preaching and serving the Lord.

• 5 months later...
  • Members
1 hour ago, Genevanpreacher said:

Good observation Dave.

Problem is, Russ, There wee a lot of thigs that are said to happen before we meet the Lord in the air.

The Lord would have to suffer and die.  "First He must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation." Luke 17.25  The resurrection The ascension.  They were told to wait in Jerusalem for the promised Holy Spirit, after which they were told to go into the world and teach all nations. The destruction of the temple and the desolation of Jerusalem.   When they saw Jerusalem surrounded by armies they were to flee to the mountains (Luke 21:21) this cannot mean the return of the Lord as then there will be no need to flee to the mountains as we will meet the Lord in the air. Peter would grow old and die before the Lord comes. 

Paul mentions several things that were to happen before we gather to Him. "that day shall not come, except that there come a falling away first. and the man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition."  2 Thess. 2:1-3.  Let no man deceive you by any means.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
On 12/24/2016 at 11:09 AM, Invicta said:

Problem is, Russ, There wee a lot of thigs that are said to happen before we meet the Lord in the air.

The Lord would have to suffer and die.  "First He must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation." Luke 17.25  The resurrection The ascension.  They were told to wait in Jerusalem for the promised Holy Spirit, after which they were told to go into the world and teach all nations. The destruction of the temple and the desolation of Jerusalem.   When they saw Jerusalem surrounded by armies they were to flee to the mountains (Luke 21:21) this cannot mean the return of the Lord as then there will be no need to flee to the mountains as we will meet the Lord in the air. Peter would grow old and die before the Lord comes. 

Paul mentions several things that were to happen before we gather to Him. "that day shall not come, except that there come a falling away first. and the man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition."  2 Thess. 2:1-3.  Let no man deceive you by any means.

Sorry David, but isn't that what Dave was stressing?

That there WAS going to be time for Peter to grow old?

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Peter wrote to Jewish believers that were scattered abroad. Like the Jews today, did not they believe that the Tribulation was just around the pike? The coming 7 years of wrath and vexation that the OT prophesied? Wasn't Peter (and James) preparing these Jews for the suffering and the persecution that was coming?

Edited by TheSword1227