• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

For The Past Four Mornings

• Members
8 minutes ago, Rosie said:

i down loaded it and ran it and had 4 problems.. all should be ok now .. thank you so much N N

Good. I hope that did take care of the problem. If so, I was wrong about it being caused by an update!  :hide:

Now that you have Malwarebytes, it would be good for you to run a scan with it periodically. I run it on our Windows computer once a week...but I'm paranoid. :nuts:

• Members
On 6/19/2016 at 5:45 AM, Rosie said:

When I went to turn my computer on it was already on.. how does this happen. I know I shut it offf.....and my phone sometimes the font is bigger and sometimes its smaller.. do you all feel someone is using your computer or into it 

My wife borrowed my computer and somehow corrupted the boot sector!  Probably static electricity or a virus that snuck through.  I could only get this ten year old machine running XP back up by upgrading to Windows 7.  So, here we are after ten days down.

• Members
On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Rosie said:

If it's not new, did you allow it to upgrade to Windows 10? If so, did you start having problems after that?  NO I DID NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT IT

Ok then - Windows 10 is great!

I love it!

There, now you have something good about it. :lol:

Glad it seems you are sorted out.

• Members
1 hour ago, John81 said:

I ran the malware program and it indicated over 800 possible problems.

This system is still on Windows 7 and is unable to upload Windows 10.

Sounds like you may have used SUPERAntiSpyware...or something similar. It treats tracking cookies as "threats". That's probably why there were so many. 

• Members
29 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Sounds like you may have used SUPERAntiSpyware...or something similar. It treats tracking cookies as "threats". That's probably why there were so many. 

I downloaded the one you posted above. It took over half an hour to run. Earlier this year I ran into problems with this computer and both times the only way I could get it going good again was to take it back to an earlier date and restart from there.

• Members
1 hour ago, John81 said:

I downloaded the one you posted above.

Wow...and it found 800? I didn't say anything to Rosie, but I thought that the four items her scan found was a lot. I think the most ours has ever discovered at one time was two items.

Was Malwarebytes able to remove all of the items from your computer?

• Members
1 hour ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Wow...and it found 800? I didn't say anything to Rosie, but I thought that the four items her scan found was a lot. I think the most ours has ever discovered at one time was two items.

Was Malwarebytes able to remove all of the items from your computer?

It said it removed them all. I had a couple or few, don't recall just how many, times when suddenly new windows started opening up rapidly and I couldn't close them faster than they would open new ones. I had to shut the computer off to stop it. Perhaps during one or more of those instances many nasty things jumped on board. I don't know.

Yes, I really thought over 800 hits was extremely high. I was concerned when it got to double digits! I suppose being rid of whatever they were couldn't hurt! ;-)

• Members
56 minutes ago, John81 said:

It said it removed them all. I had a couple or few, don't recall just how many, times when suddenly new windows started opening up rapidly and I couldn't close them faster than they would open new ones. I had to shut the computer off to stop it. Perhaps during one or more of those instances many nasty things jumped on board. I don't know.

Ahhh...I hope other people will see what I'm about to write...

What you described is one of the more easy ways a computer gets infected...

All of a sudden, a window pops up on your screen. You want it gone, so you naturally click the close button on the window...and...you've now infected your computer.

They are designed so that if you click ANYWHERE on the window, it will infect the computer.

So, the best course of action is...

When you encounter a strange pop up window, and it's not related to anything already on your computer that you're used to seeing...

1. Don't click anything! 

2. Don't click ANYTHING!

3. Immediately shut your computer down by holding the actual physical power button down until the computer powers off.

4. (My personal recommendation) When you turn it back on, immediately run a virus scan AND then run a Malwarebytes scan.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, DaveW said:

Ok then - Windows 10 is great!

I love it!

There, now you have something good about it. :lol:

Glad it seems you are sorted out.

I enjoyed Windows 7, couldn't stand my wife's 8.1, am thrilled with 10 -- now you've heard TWO good reports on Windows 10 -- actually, since it is now on 7 computers (home, church, wife, school, work) does that count for EIGHT reports?????

• Members
7 hours ago, swathdiver said:

John, you really should stop visiting those websites with the .ru extension, they are full of surprises!  

I don't think I've ever seen a .ru extension. What does that represent or stand for?

7 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Ahhh...I hope other people will see what I'm about to write...

What you described is one of the more easy ways a computer gets infected...

All of a sudden, a window pops up on your screen. You want it gone, so you naturally click the close button on the window...and...you've now infected your computer.

They are designed so that if you click ANYWHERE on the window, it will infect the computer.

So, the best course of action is...

When you encounter a strange pop up window, and it's not related to anything already on your computer that you're used to seeing...

1. Don't click anything! 

2. Don't click ANYTHING!

3. Immediately shut your computer down by holding the actual physical power button down until the computer powers off.

4. (My personal recommendation) When you turn it back on, immediately run a virus scan AND then run a Malwarebytes scan.

Thank you, good to know. In my case, I did run a virus scan after those happened but didn't have malware scan at the time.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, John81 said:

Yes, I really thought over 800 hits was extremely high. I was concerned when it got to double digits! I suppose being rid of whatever they were couldn't hurt! ;-)

Trojans inject many viruses into a computer. Malware Bytes is one of the best I know to detect and remove them. When I worked at the library, my IT boss installed Malware because I was online so much. First time it found hundreds.