• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can you be a more effective soul winner?

• Members

This is being posted by Mrs. Harjo (can't find the settings to change it to Mrs. instead of Mr lol)

There are not many good-hearted souls that are willing to go out door-to-door like the Lord commands any more. Since we are so few in number, don't you think our soul winning ought to be more effective? Some may ask, "What is the secret to effective Soul Winning?"
That is a very good question.

Is there a guarantee that you will win someone to the Lord when you go out? We certainly don't want to be someone who thinks if they simply repeat a prayer without a willing heart that we are doing our job. It's sad to say, many of our 'so called' converts are exactly that..."OUR" converts and not the Lords. Now, don't be discouraged, it happens to the best of us. We certainly don't know their hearts when they pray, but we should know our own.

There is a little something I have learned through the years. There are certain verses in the Bible that can help us to be properly prepared for soul winning. If we are properly prepared, can we win a soul? I say yes. Lets see what the Bible says about this.

Psalms 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

How many of us have heard great sermons by our pastors about 'claiming the promises?' Well, Psalms 84:11 is a promise. He said, "no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly." First ask yourself, is winning someone to the Lord a good thing? Well of course it is. Is there ever an instance that the Lord would NOT want us to win someone to His kindgom? No, never...He wishes for all men to be saved. So this is DEFINATLY a GOOD THING.

So why don't we always win someone when we go out? Well, the fault is not with the Lord. So it must be with us. Whats the rest of that verse say? "....from them that walk uprightly." So we must ask ourselves "are we walking uprightly?"

Our Pastor always taught us that an upright Christian has to be faithful in all the 5 basics.

1. To be faithful in Prayer: 1Th 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
2. To be faithful in reading your Bible: 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
3. To be faithful in coming to church: Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
4. Faithful in all giving: Meaning Tithes (10%) and offerings (missions ect.) Malachi 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. (oh, and I do suggest you read the rest of this text yourself.)
5. Going out and sharing the Gospel: Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

It's very simple to see that God commands us to do all five of these things. If we are only doing two or three then there is no guarantee that you will win someone to the Lord. Sure, it might be possible every once in a while, but we were talking about a guarantee.

You might say you are doing all five of those things...but you still do not know why you are not a good soul winner. Well, there are other things to consider. Attitude, for instance. How is your attitude? You can get to a place where you do all these thing from habit, and not from your heart. Do you have to have a good relationship with the Lord? Do you really want to try to win someone all by yourself, without the Lords help? No! We cannot do it without Him.

Another thing may be that we do not BELIEVE we can win anyone. The Bible says in Matthew 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. Do you 'believe' you will win someone? Pray and believe.

Sometimes the problem is that you may not be properly prepared. You have to know your scriptures, you have to be prayed up and you have to be ready. Its good to have a basic plan to use when you are out. Mark your verses if you have a problem remembering where they are. I also like to mark some basic questions in the front of my Bible and put the verse next to it so I can find it if they ask. Not everyone is the same, so you cannot always stay with the plan. Know your Bible, be flexible, and willing to go another direction if the Holy Spirit leads.

Last of all, ASK! We have not because we ask not, right? Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

If there is ever a time I do not get on my knees and deal with my flesh before I go door knocking you can bet I will NOT lead anyone to the Lord.
*Always deal with your own sin before you go out.
*Pray sincerely.
*Tell the Lord that you do not want to be a hinderance to anyone who wants to be saved.
*Ask Him to speak through you and give you the words to say.
*Ask Him to make you what HE needs you to be for that person.
*Ask that the Holy Spirit will go before you and start dealing with their heart before you arrive.
*Ask Him to close all the doors to those who will refuse to listen so you do not waste too much time at that door when there is someone else who is willing right down the road.
*Ask God to remove all the stumbling blocks before you even arrive.
There is a verse I like to go to during this important prayer. 1 Corinthians chapter 9. I read the whole chapter, but vs. 16-22 are especially important.

1Co 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Although this particular verse was ment for an apostle, there are so many promises that you can claim as you pray for a soul.

Another powerful soul winning chapter to read as you pray is John chapter 15. (go ahead...read it now) Can you see that it is very obvious that the Lord desires that we win as many people as we can? Do not despair, there are some that will win hundreds, and some only ten's, but we are all do to as He said.

Look within yourself. See what a pitiful human being you are, and how you can not bear any fruit without Him. Then weep for those lost souls. Not a fake crying, but a real heartfelt cry to God for those who are going to hell. Psalms 126:5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. Psalms 126:6 He that goeth forth and weeping, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him

Now do you remember when I said some will win hundred's and some ten's? Please don't be discouraged if you do not win someone. Some seed will fall on rocky ground and some in the thorns. Certain countries and mission fields will be harder than others. Just be sure that the fault does not lie within yourself. The question was: Can you be a more effective soul winner? Well, only you can answer that question. Can you?

• Members

Psalms 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

How many of us have heard great sermons by our pastors about 'claiming the promises?' Well, Psalms 84:11 is a promise. He said, "no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly." First ask yourself, is winning someone to the Lord a good thing? Well of course it is. Is there ever an instance that the Lord would NOT want us to win someone to His kindgom? No, never...He wishes for all men to be saved. So this is DEFINATLY a GOOD THING.

So why don't we always win someone when we go out? Well, the fault is not with the Lord. So it must be with us. Whats the rest of that verse say? "....from them that walk uprightly." So we must ask ourselves "are we walking uprightly?"

Just be sure that the fault does not lie within yourself. The question was: Can you be a more effective soul winner? Well, only you can answer that question. Can you?

Those 2 statements seem conflicting.

Some good points though.

Regarding the first bolded statement.

Jeremiah had no "converts." Noah got 7 in 120 years. They were successful, because they obeyed God.

I do not think that promise can apply to "winning" souls, because in the end the lost person can reject God in their free-will.