• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Good Sunday School Materials

• Moderators

I am working on training a young man in my church to teaching; I learned to teach and prepare lessons, and later sermons, through using a good book of prepared Adult Sunday school lessons, and teaching through them, so this is what I desire to do. However, it has been such a long time since I used that sort of thing that I'm not sure where to look for something good. Years back we used Regular Baptist Press, but they are not so good now. Any suggestions?

• Administrators

In my opinion he could do no better than learning under his pastor. This is how I learned. There is no better resource than the local church. It puts more of a burden on the pastor, but then the pastor controls what is taught, which is of utmost importance.

My pastor taught me for two hours two nights per week. It also helped that he was a teaching pastor. I mean he used his sermons and lessons in such a way that you could get in depth teaching just from attending the regular services.

So I guess my reply is; no, I don't have any suggestions for printed material. :D

• Administrators

Uke, I don't know if you are looking for a particular type of book, but this one is specifically written to help folks become good/great Sunday School teachers. The author is not IFB, but this isn't a series of lessons, like the RBP booklets are. This is a how-to. Again, I don't know if that kind of thing appeals to you, but I thought maybe a how-to would help him develop as a teacher, while content of what to teach would be best left to you as you train him.

http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Christian-Teaching-Essentials-Becoming/dp/081701280X/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460592949&sr=1-10&keywords=teaching+sunday+school

• Moderators
18 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Uke, I don't know if you are looking for a particular type of book, but this one is specifically written to help folks become good/great Sunday School teachers. The author is not IFB, but this isn't a series of lessons, like the RBP booklets are. This is a how-to. Again, I don't know if that kind of thing appeals to you, but I thought maybe a how-to would help him develop as a teacher, while content of what to teach would be best left to you as you train him.

http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Christian-Teaching-Essentials-Becoming/dp/081701280X/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460592949&sr=1-10&keywords=teaching+sunday+school

Thanks-I will have a look.

Personally I found I learned the best through doing, but others are more 'read it in a book' learners, like my wife, so its an avenue I will explore.

• 2 years later...