• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

This was originally written in 2008 when my youngest son was deployed to the Middle East.  His family stayed with us for the 18 months that he was gone.  I just found it in my binder and re-wrote it, and so I hope it is a blessing to others.

Springtime

Today is a beautiful day. The sky is blue and there is nary a cloud in sight. I'm sure the sun will shine a nearly perfect temperature on us again. I do love springtime! I love how bright green the new grasses are, and I love to daily watch as new leaves first bud on the trees, and then as the days go by they begin to unfold. Pretty soon they are clapping their hands, and waving to us in the breeze. My bright red tulips have opened up and are so beautiful and cheerful to look at just sitting there in my yard reflecting the sweetness of our God. Bees and flies and ants and other insects also begin waking up and become busy buzzing and scurrying about. While walking down the street, one can hear all sorts of different kinds of birds tweeting, whistling, chirping, and singing. They fly from tree to tree or soar up high in the sky. They flash hues and speckles of brown and orange and yellow and blue as they fly overhead. My grandson and I picked out some "Pussy Willow" seeds from a tree and brought them home. We filled a pot with some soil, planted the seeds, gave them a drink, and then placed them in the warmth of the rays of the sunshine. So far...I think a weed is beginning to sprout...but that's okay, for my grandson was very excited about watching the little green sprout poking its head up out of the dirt. I don't know if we'll actually have "Pussy Willow" buds or not, but it has been fun to watch for them.

We've already had the pleasure of watching little baby black-wooled lambs wobbling around after their mommas in the pasture across town. Lil hereford and white-faced angus calves have played peek-a-book with us out from behind their mommas too, and it's fun to watch them frolic and play with each other. Yes, spring is a season of beginnings...new God-created life truly springs up and it encourages the opportunities that we all have to spring foward for our Lord Jesus as we press on in this earthly life.

Everyday is a new day, and yet at the end of each day...I hope to rest content in having lived the whole day to its fullest. We will never have this day to live again, but we do have today. Each minute of it counts in its own way being precious and valuable as the seconds tick by. Each breath we take is a miracle, and so we should exhale each with much gratefulness to the Lord by "being and breathing" and living each moment desiring to be pleasing to Him.

Sigh...what shall this day bring? Are we noticing the occasions that God sends our way to share Him? Are our minds stayed on Him? What a joy it is to "lose" ourselves to Him each day, that we might be softened and moldable and that He might have the free reign to continue to shape us more and more into the likeness of His own image. Being chiseled, pierced, and tried through the "fires" of this life are not things to trifle with, but are to be taken as seriously as each breath that we breathe. The pain can be almost unbearable, yet even in a weakened state we can yet embrace it and cling tightly to it loving Him and looking for and claiming God's promise to work all out for our ultimate good and according to His purpose. When we view the grievous pains and trials of this life through the Saviour's eyes, we know that we can be more than conquerors through Him. Even the adverse tryings of our faith can be the very means in which abundant joy can be born. We must be careful not to heighten nor give strength to the painful trials by focusing upon them, but instead we must look towards the Saviour and the workings of His blessed sweetness and charity and mercy through it.

By shedding the poverties of this old life, we can bud and spring forth ever growing in the light of His countenance. May this beautiful spring day be pleasing and profitable to our precious Saviour's glory!

• Members

Thank you for sharing us this article from years back (2008). Good articles, like the scriptures and the stories contained therein, are timeless. We appreciate your talent for writing and saying things of the heart that give praise to God.

"This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

Edited by Alan