• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

All things to all men

• Members

1 Corinthians 9:13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.
16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

It?s very easy to tell someone that they are a sinner on their way to hell, get them to say a prayer and they think they are alright. But truth be known, I can?t think of anything worse then knowing your going to hell, except ?THINKING? your going to Heaven.

Paul tried to tell us that winning someone to the Lord was not going to be a planned out speech that we can read to each person that we encounter. Now, I am not saying that tracts are not a great way to win people to the Lord, because I believe they are a blessed tool. I believe you should pass them out to everyone you encounter, but what I mean is that when you talk to a person about the Lord you ought to be able to make a personal connection with them. Find a common ground, or something interesting you can talk about and build from there.

It?s so much easier to listen to someone if you see them as a friendly, warm person who seems to care about you. Compliment the kids, their lovely home, or strike up a conversation about the ball game on the television. It can really be very easy if you treat them the same way that you would want to be treated, or like a member of the family.

Paul said that he became a Jew to the Jews, and to them without the Law as one without the Law. Meaning he did not have trouble being comfortable with Jewish customs or the customs of the Gentiles. To me that would mean that you ought to be comfortable talking to someone who is white, black, Indian, or Chinese. It also means you should be able to talk to someone no matter if they are rich, poor or of another culture all together.

There are so many forgotten people in this world. We worry a lot about foreign missions, but there are forgotten people all around us. You could minister to mothers who are stuck at home and never really get out. You can witness to truck drivers, or waitresses, or folks in the nursing home. You can witness to toll booth operators, police officers, gas station attendants, anyone that you pass along the way.

Pass out tracts and strike up a conversation. Or even better, strike up a conversation and when you are getting ready to walk away hand them a tract and say ?Please read this whenever you get a chance, o.k.?

I have learned that it is better not to ask if they want a tract. ?Can you read this later?? Leaves them an opportunity to reject your offer. But if you say ?Here ya go, read this when ever you have time.? Then smile at them and walk away, you hardly EVER get a rejection. :o)

Here are some of the different ways we have had an opportunity to win someone to the Lord.