• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Laptop help required please

Invicta

• Members

I have a new laptop and seemed to have visited an undesirable site as I get programs taking over my browser, so much that it is almost unusable. Some of these are in the form of questionaires purporting to be from  from genuine programs I have installed such as my my  internet supplier, others seem to be adverts, and others undesirable.  Well they are all undesirable, but you get my meaning.  I need to get rid of these.  On a previous computer  when I had the same problem I contacted our local computer repairer and he said use two programs, one was Rkill but I forgot the other.  I can't remember which order he said use them.  I tried contacting him Wednesday but he seems to be away at present. 

Any Ideas.  They started on 23rd Feb and I uninstalled them but the next day, there were lots more. Mcafee has removed a number of viruses and suspicious programs, but the others keep coming.

Any Ideas?

At the moment I am on the Church laptop which I have borrowed.

• Members

12 hours ago, Invicta said:

I have a new laptop and seemed to have visited an undesirable site as I get programs taking over my browser, so much that it is almost unusable.

If the issue is with your browser you might try going to your settings and disabling and deleting any extensions, adons, apps, tool bars, and anything else not original to the browser. Then clear your history and data catches. Also get a program called "spybot" it is the best for this type of issue and it is free for personal use. You can get it here: https://www.safer-networking.org/

• Members
8 hours ago, John Young said:

If the issue is with your browser you might try going to your settings and disabling and deleting any extensions, adons, apps, tool bars, and anything else not original to the browser. Then clear your history and data catches. Also get a program called "spybot" it is the best for this type of issue and it is free for personal use. You can get it here: https://www.safer-networking.org/

Thanks John.  The files are in my application list.  When I go into control panel, and delete them another lot appear.

• Members

Thanks for your help

I think I have now got rid of the problem at last.  When I tried first the malicious programs seemed to grab the downloads and  hijack them. I ran a scan with McAfee and it found and deleted 17 viruses.  It ran tll 99% then stuck on onexvi.dll.mui I did a search and answers varied from Windows boot up file to dangerous trojan,  I cancelled the scan and downloaded Rkilll from Bleeping Software ran that then Malwarebytes and that seems to have worked.  When I first opened my browser it said it had blocked a malicious web site and repeated that several times.  I closed the browser and started again and since then it has been clear.  Thanks for your help. 

• Members

One problem I had was that every time I tried to download any of those progs, I got a message from what seemed to be Talktalk Super Safe Boost, the security suite which comes with my Broadband, saying that they were malicious sites and had viruses..  It looked pretty authentic until I realized that although I had that on my old laptop, I used McAfee on the new one.  Once I had thought of that I could ignore it.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members
On 2/26/2016 at 3:45 PM, Invicta said:

I have a new laptop and seemed to have visited an undesirable site as I get programs taking over my browser, so much that it is almost unusable. Some of these are in the form of questionaires purporting to be from  from genuine programs I have installed such as my my  internet supplier, others seem to be adverts, and others undesirable.  Well they are all undesirable, but you get my meaning.  I need to get rid of these.  On a previous computer  when I had the same problem I contacted our local computer repairer and he said use two programs, one was Rkill but I forgot the other.  I can't remember which order he said use them.  I tried contacting him Wednesday but he seems to be away at present. 

Any Ideas.  They started on 23rd Feb and I uninstalled them but the next day, there were lots more. Mcafee has removed a number of viruses and suspicious programs, but the others keep coming.

Any Ideas?

At the moment I am on the Church laptop which I have borrowed.

Hello,

I would try to install Bitdefender and malwarebyte. Those 2 probably solve your problems.

May God richly bless and help you.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Malwarebytes is my go to. I'm glad you got it figured out. My friend's computer was always getting loaded up with viruses. I unplugged his hard drive and attached it to mine. Then I scanned it with Malwarebytes. This works, because the infected drive was not the boot drive. FYI Religious sites are the worst for being infected. They are interested in getting out their message and not too sophisticated in online security. Sad but true.