• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What was Jesus' mission?

• Members
13 hours ago, MountainChristian said:

Yes, Paul is saying it was previously hidden. No, Paul said the Spirit revealed it to him, and that the Spirit revealed it the other apostles and prophets

Galatians 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

• Members

The gospel was hid in the OT. It was there (mostly in type) and the prophets earnestly sought it out but it was hidden (I Peter 1:10-12). In fact, not even the twelve Disciples understood what Jesus was talking about when he told them of his death, burial and resurrection (Luke 18:31-34). And this was AFTER he commanded them to go forth and preach the gospel of the kingdom of heaven. The kingdom gospel they preached was NOT the death, burial and resurrection gospel that we preach today. That gospel was revealed to Paul who made it known to all the saints including Peter himself (Romans 16:25,26). Also, along with this revelation went the truth that Jew and Gentile would be united in one body called the church (i.e. the body of Christ). Anything that John may have written about was AFTER Paul's revelation and was brought back to his remembrance in due time by the Holy Ghost (John 14:26). This would explain why John's gospel is so much different than Matthew, Mark and Luke.

Read the verses. It's clear as midday sky. Only those set in the teachings of their denomination or the "original languages" over the bible will not see it. 

Edited by Critical Mass

• Members

4 minutes ago, Critical Mass said:

The gospel was hid in the OT. It was there (mostly in type) and the prophets earnestly sought it out but it was hidden (I Peter 1:10-12). In fact, not even the twelve Disciples understood what Jesus was talking about when he told them of his death, burial and resurrection (Luke 18:31-34). And this was AFTER he commanded them to go forth and preach the gospel of the kingdom of heaven. The kingdom gospel they preached was NOT the death, burial and resurrection gospel that we preach today. That gospel was revealed to Paul who made it known to all the saints including Peter himself (Romans 16:25,26). Also, along with this revelation went the truth that Jew and Gentile would be united in one body called the church (i.e. the body of Christ). Anything that John may have written about was AFTER Paul's revelation and was brought back to his remembrance in due time by the Holy Ghost (John 14:26). This would explain why John's gospel is so much different than Matthew, Mark and Luke.

Read the verses. It's clear as midday sky. Only those set in the teachings of their denomination or the "original languages" over the bible will not see it. 

So, based on this theory of two distinct Gospels; one for Jew which entails works mingled with faith and the other for gentiles without works:

Could a Jew be saved upon the preaching of Paul? Either orthodox or secular Jew?

Could a gentile be saved upon the preaching of Peter?

If yes to both, wouldn't it make much more sense to realize that this is simply wording for understanding to the two groups but the same faith producing works Gospel?

BTW, you are stretching to breakage on the statement I bolded in your post above. All Scripture is given by direct inspiration of God, OLD and NEW Testaments.

• Members
14 hours ago, MountainChristian said:

Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Colossians 1:25-27

Jewish Paul told the Colossians he was made a minister, not the only minister. Again Jewish Paul told the Colossians the mystery is now revealed to his saints. He never said saint meaning only himself.  

If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he [Jesus] [Holy Spirit] made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: Ephesians 3:2-6

1 hour ago, Ronda said:

Galatians 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Galatians 1:16-17

To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.

Galatians 1:18 ¶ Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

You will notice Paul never said he went up to heaven and had private lessons with Jesus, and Paul never said Jesus descended from Heaven and gave him private lessons. Was Jesus in Arabia, or was Jesus seated at the right hand of God the Father? Did Jesus return on the clouds and every eye see Jesus, so Jesus could teach Paul?

Matthew 26:26-28 ¶ And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

This is my blood which is shed for a kingdom or remission of sins?

Hebrews 9:11-12 ¶ But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Glory be to Jesus for going to the cross to die for Jewish peoples sins and Gentile peoples sins and my sins. Thanks be to Jesus for having mercy on this hillbilly wretch. I get to live with Jesus forever and ever!!! If Jesus had failed his mission or if people had prevented Jesus from accomplishing his mission I would be on my way to hell. There would be no remission of sins.

The kingdom teaching removes focus from salvation. Hide the cross, expose the kingdom. Keep people in their sins.

• Members

On 2/19/2016 at 8:52 PM, MountainChristian said:

What was Jesus' Mission?

"When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” - Mark 2:17

• Members
2 hours ago, beameup said:

Two missions. One was not fulfilled, but was postponed. When the fullness of the gentiles be come in, then Israel will be saved and the original mission will be consummated with the Millennial Kingdom.

Those that teach Jesus' mission was the kingdom also teach the law. This is the offering they teach for sins.

Exodus 29:10-14 ¶ And thou shalt cause a bullock to be brought before the tabernacle of the congregation: and Aaron and his sons shall put their hands upon the head of the bullock. And thou shalt kill the bullock before the LORD, by the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. And thou shalt take of the blood of the bullock, and put it upon the horns of the altar with thy finger, and pour all the blood beside the bottom of the altar. And thou shalt take all the fat that covereth the inwards, and the caul that is above the liver, and the two kidneys, and the fat that is upon them, and burn them upon the altar. But the flesh of the bullock, and his skin, and his dung, shalt thou burn with fire without the camp: it is a sin offering.

This was done once a year for all the people.

Exodus 30:10 And Aaron shall make an atonement upon the horns of it once in a year with the blood of the sin offering of atonements: once in the year shall he make atonement upon it throughout your generations: it is most holy unto the LORD.

When the priests or the people sinned ignorantly a special sin offering was needed. How many times a day does a man sin? How many bulls would it take to make offerings for all those sins?

Lev 4:1-12 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a soul shall sin through ignorance against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and shall do against any of them: If the priest that is anointed do sin according to the sin of the people; then let him bring for his sin, which he hath sinned, a young bullock without blemish unto the LORD for a sin offering. And he shall bring the bullock unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD; and shall lay his hand upon the bullock's head, and kill the bullock before the LORD. And the priest that is anointed shall take of the bullock's blood, and bring it to the tabernacle of the congregation: And the priest shall dip his finger in the blood, and sprinkle of the blood seven times before the LORD, before the vail of the sanctuary. And the priest shall put some of the blood upon the horns of the altar of sweet incense before the LORD, which is in the tabernacle of the congregation; and shall pour all the blood of the bullock at the bottom of the altar of the burnt offering, which is at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. And he shall take off from it all the fat of the bullock for the sin offering; the fat that covereth the inwards, and all the fat that is upon the inwards, And the two kidneys, and the fat that is upon them, which is by the flanks, and the caul above the liver, with the kidneys, it shall he take away, As it was taken off from the bullock of the sacrifice of peace offerings: and the priest shall burn them upon the altar of the burnt offering. And the skin of the bullock, and all his flesh, with his head, and with his legs, and his inwards, and his dung, Even the whole bullock shall he carry forth without the camp unto a clean place, where the ashes are poured out, and burn him on the wood with fire: where the ashes are poured out shall he be burnt.

Now under the law if a man sinned willfully there was no bull to be offered. What happened to him? Here is an example.

Num 15:32-36 ¶ And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation. And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him. And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

So we see a few sticks could cost a man his life. The two gospel teachers say Jesus will return us to this system when he becomes King, but what does the Bible say?

Hebrews 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Look how that was address to Hebrews or Jews so they could understand bulls and goats will never get the job done. So what was needed?

Hebrews 10:5-10 ¶ Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

As you can see the Bible says once for all. All covers everybody in all history. And Jesus only had to do it once. So we see Jesus did accomplish His mission. The Kingdom wasn't his mission and it wasn't postponed.

John 6:15 When Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take him by force, to make him a king, he departed again into a mountain himself alone.

We see they accepted Jesus if he would become King and restore the kingdom but Jesus was here to be the Lamb and take away their sins. They rejected Jesus because he was a lamb slain from the foundation of the world. People are still rejecting Jesus because he came to be a Lamb for everyone's sins.

Can you see Jesus' mission? Can you see Jesus fulfilled that mission on hill called Calvary?

• Administrators
7 hours ago, beameup said:

I would suggest that Ezekiel 40-48 shows that temple worship will be reinstated and sacrifices reestablished during the Millennium under Messiah.

Heb 8:6 ¶ But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. 
 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. 
 8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: 
 9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. 
 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: 
 11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. 
 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. 
 13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, beameup said:

I would suggest that Ezekiel 40-48 shows that temple worship will be reinstated and sacrifices reestablished during the Millennium under Messiah.

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 
 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. 

• Members

Daniel 9:24 ¶ Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

It does not say to bring in the blood on bulls and goats for sin offerings but everlasting righteousness. Everlasting!

Luke 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

The teachers of the law say the kingdom was Jesus' mission on His 1st visit. And that the people rejected Jesus so his mission went unfulfilled. As you can see the Angel said "the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David", not the people shall give him the throne. When the people tried to force the throne on Jesus he refused them because they are not the Lord God. I've wondered if the Devil was using the people to keep Jesus away from the cross.

• Members
18 hours ago, beameup said:

You are correct. Under the New Covenant during the Millennium the temple and sacrifices will be reinstituted. When did this become hard to believe? These people just toss out any verses that go against IFB teachings or just spiritualize them away. Forget literal fulfillment. Just observe above poster. He's straight out saying Ezekiel 40-48 is wrong because Paul said this over here. No attempt to reconcile the two perceived contradictions is attempted. No need to because his IFB school or church taught differently and no way can they be wrong. I honestly believe most in here don't actually read the bible. They just read portions of the bible that back IFB teachings. Or spend most of their time doing word studies of the "original languages" which are dead for a reason. 

Edited by Critical Mass

• Members

When did the offerings of bulls and goats come to an end? It was at the cross.

Matthew 27:50-51 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

Mark 15:37-39 And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost. And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom. And when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he so cried out, and gave up the ghost, he said, Truly this man was the Son of God.

Luke 23:45-47 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst. And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost. Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man.

Don't try to sow the veil back together.

Hebrews 6:19-20 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Hebrews 9:1-5 Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary. For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary. And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all; Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant; And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercyseat; of which we cannot now speak particularly.…...........Hebrews 9:9-12 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Hebrews 10:19-22 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; And having an high priest over the house of God; Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

As you can see the old priesthood of Aaron has been replaced with the priesthood of God's only begotten son, Jesus the lamb of God. This is a new and living way, give up the old carnal way of the Law, come live under Jesus' grace.

• Members

A Baptist pastor once told us it's a waste of time to discuss interpretation of Scripture with the unsaved. He said we should witness to them, not engage them in matters the unsaved can't grasp anyway, and if they refuse the free gift of salvation in preference of arguing points of interpretation we should shake the dust off our feet and move on.

I think of this with regards to at least three people here who present various means of salvation while making untrue arguments on matters of Scripture in countless threads.

Why the continual casting of pearls before swine?

Why are the false teachers not cast out as Scripture declares?