• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What was Jesus' mission?

• Members

Matthew 1:21 And she (Mary) shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

The question becomes who is "his people". Some teach this is the Jewish Nation. They are Mary's people and Jesus is Mary's son. What did Jesus say? 

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Well that would mean everyone is "his people". God owning all the people, Jews & Gentiles.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Notice how Jesus uses the word "He" making it personal. So Jesus is saying salvation is personal not national. Did Jesus save his people from their sins? Do Jews have the way to Heaven? Do Gentiles have the way to Heaven? Is Jesus the way to salvation?

• Members
44 minutes ago, MountainChristian said:

Matthew 1:21 And she (Mary) shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

The question becomes who is "his people". Some teach this is the Jewish Nation. They are Mary's people and Jesus is Mary's son. What did Jesus say? 

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Well that would mean everyone is "his people". God owning all the people, Jews & Gentiles.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Notice how Jesus uses the word "He" making it personal. So Jesus is saying salvation is personal not national. Did Jesus save his people from their sins? Do Jews have the way to Heaven? Do Gentiles have the way to Heaven? Is Jesus the way to salvation?

All you say is true but remember the gospel of John was written way after Matthew and even Paul's revelation. The gospel went first to the Jew then to the Gentile. 

Matthew 10:5-7

[5] These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
[6] But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
[7] And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

The Gentiles are the other sheep he was to bring into the fold.

• Members
Luke 1:32-33 [angel to Mary] He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
Sounds pretty Jewish to me

Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:  Romans 15:8

• Members
3 hours ago, beameup said:
Luke 1:32-33 [angel to Mary] He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
Sounds pretty Jewish to me

Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathersRomans 15:8

8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

9 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.

Why do you only quote half of that thought?

• Members
10 minutes ago, MountainChristian said:

8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

9 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.

Why do you only quote half of that thought?

Because the Jews never fulfilled that "mission".  Read your Old Testament.  Israel will become a light unto the Gentiles during the Millennium. 

I started a thread on the "Kingdom".  The verses are there.  It has not been fulfilled yet.  Isaiah 42:6, 49:6, 60:3, Luke 2:32, Acts 13:47, etc.

And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.  Romans 11:26-28
Edited by beameup

• Members
4 hours ago, beameup said:

Because the Jews never fulfilled that "mission".  Read your Old Testament.  Israel will become a light unto the Gentiles during the Millennium. 

I started a thread on the "Kingdom".  The verses are there.  It has not been fulfilled yet.  Isaiah 42:6, 49:6, 60:3, Luke 2:32, Acts 13:47, etc.

And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.  Romans 11:26-28

Jesus said in John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. if you are correct wouldn't Jesus say, You are the light of the world?

• Members

Matthew 9:1 ¶ And he entered into a ship, and passed over, and came into his own city.

Mark 2:1 ¶ And again he entered into Capernaum after some days; and it was noised that he was in the house.

Mark 2:2 And straightway many were gathered together, insomuch that there was no room to receive them, no, not so much as about the door: and he preached the word unto them.

Mark 2:3 And they come unto him, bringing one sick of the palsy, which was borne of four.

Mark 2:4 And when they could not come nigh unto him for the press, they uncovered the roof where he was: and when they had broken it up, they let down the bed wherein the sick of the palsy lay.

Mark 2:5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.

Matthew 9:2 And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.

Matthew 9:3 And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemeth.

Mark 2:6 But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,

Mark 2:7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

Matthew 9:4 And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts?

Mark 2:8 And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts?

Matthew 9:5 For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk?

Mark 2:9 Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?

Matthew 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.

Mark 2:10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)

Mark 2:11 I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.

Matthew 9:7 And he arose, and departed to his house.

Mark 2:12 And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.

Matthew 9:8 But when the multitudes saw it, they marvelled, and glorified God, which had given such power unto men.

~~~~~

What did Jesus see? Faith or Works? What group said Jesus did not have the power to forgive sins when he saw faith?

How did the Jewish Apostle put it, For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Would a Jewish man count as any man? Would a Gentile man count as any man?

• Members
1 hour ago, MountainChristian said:

Jesus said in John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. if you are correct wouldn't Jesus say, You are the light of the world?

Doesn't the verse he quoted say that the nation of Israel would be a light to the Gentiles? Didn't Jesus say Christians are a light in this world? I don't see what the problem is. The Gentiles will be drawn to Christ through how he deals with his people. Just think of it as the moon reflecting the light of the sun.

• Members
8 hours ago, Critical Mass said:

Doesn't the verse he quoted say that the nation of Israel would be a light to the Gentiles? Didn't Jesus say Christians are a light in this world? I don't see what the problem is. The Gentiles will be drawn to Christ through how he deals with his people. Just think of it as the moon reflecting the light of the sun.

Doesn't the verse he quoted say that the nation of Israel would be a light to the Gentiles? No.

1) Isaiah 42:6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

I the LORD have called Jesus in righteousness, and will hold Jesus' hand, and will keep Jesus, and give Jesus for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; Was Jesus given for a new covenant? Yes.

Beameup's view. I the LORD have called Jews in righteousness, and will hold Jews' hand, and will keep Jews, and give Jews for a covenant of the Jews, for a light of the Gentiles;

1b) Isaiah 42:7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house. As you can see Beameup only quotes half of the thought. The whole thought removes all doubt that it was Jesus opening the eyes and freeing sinners from the prison of sin. When the apostles healed people it was always in Jesus' name, not because they was Jewish.

2) Isaiah 49:6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.

And he said, It is a light thing that Jesus shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give Jesus for a light to the Gentiles, that Jesus mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth. Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins.   

Beameup's teaching. And he said, It is a light thing that Jews shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give Jews for a light to the Gentiles, that Jews mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth. Did Jews die on the cross for their own sins and the sins of the gentiles?

3) Isaiah 60:3 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.

And the Gentiles shall come to Jesus' light, and kings to the brightness of Jesus rising. Have gentiles been saved by Jesus? Have kings been saved by Jesus?

4) Luke 2:32 A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.

A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of Jesus' people Israel. vs A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of Jews people Israel. Which one makes sense?

5) Acts 13:47 For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set Jesus to be a light of the Gentiles, that Jesus shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

Didn't Jesus say Christians are a light in this world? Yes. Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Notice the Ye is Christians like you said and they have been a light for 2000 years while Jesus has been gone. If the Ye is Jews, have they been a light to the world for the last 2000 years? No, they have not. And Jesus said "are". They was already that light.

• Members
I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles Isaiah 42:6
And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.  Isaiah 49:6
the LORD shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.  And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising. Isaiah 60:2b-3
A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel. Luke 2:32   [Simeon in the Temple at the dedication of Jesus by his parents]

The Old Testament is loaded with prophecies concerning the Messiah and his Kingdom on earth, and that the glory of Israel will shine unto the Gentiles and that they will be blessed. 
These prophecies will be fulfilled following the Tribulation.  (I guess that some people simply cannot accept that God has a future plan for Israel).

And he [Messiah] said unto me, Son of man, the place of my throne, and the place of the soles of my feet, where I will dwell in the midst of the children of Israel for ever, and my holy name, shall the house of Israel no more defile, neither they, nor their kings, by their whoredom, nor by the carcases of their kings in their high places. Ezekiel 43:7 [Ezekiel is shown all things concerning the Millennial Temple in chapters 40-48]
Edited by beameup

• Members
6 hours ago, beameup said:
I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles Isaiah 42:6
And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.  Isaiah 49:6
the LORD shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.  And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising. Isaiah 60:2b-3
A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel. Luke 2:32   [Simeon in the Temple at the dedication of Jesus by his parents]

The Old Testament is loaded with prophecies concerning the Messiah and his Kingdom on earth, and that the glory of Israel will shine unto the Gentiles and that they will be blessed. 
These prophecies will be fulfilled following the Tribulation.  (I guess that some people simply cannot accept that God has a future plan for Israel).

And he [Messiah] said unto me, Son of man, the place of my throne, and the place of the soles of my feet, where I will dwell in the midst of the children of Israel for ever, and my holy name, shall the house of Israel no more defile, neither they, nor their kings, by their whoredom, nor by the carcases of their kings in their high places. Ezekiel 43:7 [Ezekiel is shown all things concerning the Millennial Temple in chapters 40-48]

Who is thee? Jesus or the Jewish People? Did the LORD give the Jewish people for a covenant of the people? Did the LORD give Jesus for a covenant that we call the New Testament?

~~~~

Let me ask you this, Who is the glory of Israel? Is Israel their own glory or is Jesus their glory?

Was Jesus' mission to set up a kingdom or save people from their sins?

• Members
7 hours ago, MountainChristian said:

Let me ask you this, Who is the glory of Israel? Is Israel their own glory or is Jesus their glory?

And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant [Jesus] to raise up the tribes of Jacob,
and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles,
that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.  Isaiah 49:6
Clearly, Israel will serve Yeshua Messiah and fulfill their destiny, during the Millennium, to be a light to the Gentiles.  Jesus obediently ministered to his "kinsmen", and the Kingdom was offered to them; however, the Nation of Israel rejected their destiny.... "for now".  Romans 15:8

Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you [Israel]: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.  Acts 13:46-47
We see that the Jews rejected their mission to be a light to the Gentiles, so the Gospel was taken directly to the Gentiles, and the Gentiles would fulfill the mission that was offered to Israel.  However, during the Millennium, Israel will fulfill their mission to be a light unto the Gentiles. [see Romans 11]
Edited by beameup

• Members
3 hours ago, beameup said:
And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant [Jesus] to raise up the tribes of Jacob,
and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles,
Clearly, Israel will serve Yeshua Messiah and fulfill their destiny, during the Millennium, to be a light to the Gentiles.  Jesus obediently ministered to his "kinsmen", and the Kingdom was offered to them; however, the Nation of Israel rejected their destiny.... "for now".  Romans 15:8

Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you [Israel]: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.  Acts 13:46-47
We see that the Jews rejected their mission to be a light to the Gentiles, so the Gospel was taken directly to the Gentiles, and the Gentiles would fulfill the mission that was offered to Israel.  However, during the Millennium, Israel will fulfill their mission to be a light unto the Gentiles. [see Romans 11]
and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee [Jesus] for a light to the Gentiles,

I will also give thee, refers back to my servant. Even Jesus Himself explained it John 8:12. Do you believe Jesus?

Then Paul and Barnabas[two Christian Jews] waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you [Israel]: but seeing ye  put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we [Christian Jews] turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.  Acts 13:46-47

Using your reasoning they fulfilled the missionary calling because it was Christian Jews who spread the light of Jesus to the Gentiles not long after Jesus returned to Heaven. This is a perfect example of Christians living Matthew 5:14. I think you agree Saul/Paul was a Jew. So what about Barnabas? (Act 4:36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus, Act 4:37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.)

Paul speaking in (Act 26:23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.) explained Jesus suffered, Jesus rose from the dead, Jesus shinned to the people, Jesus shinned to the Gentiles.

When every eye sees Jesus return do you think they will not know who he is?

• Members
13 hours ago, MountainChristian said:

I'll just leave this with you to "ponder":

Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Colossians 1:25-27
If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he [Jesus] made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: Ephesians 3:2-6
And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9
Paul is stating here that this "mystery" was previously hidden and now is revealed directly to Paul by the risen Jesus Christ, from heaven.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: If I'm not mistaken, the world will be "ruled with a rod of iron" by Jesus Messiah during the Millennial Kingdom.  This surely sounds like Gentiles will be under a rule of LAW to me.
And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations [Gentiles]: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. Rev 2:26-27
Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel. Psalm 2:8-9

• Members
17 hours ago, beameup said:

I'll just leave this with you to "ponder":

Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Colossians 1:25-27
If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he [Jesus] made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: Ephesians 3:2-6
And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9
Paul is stating here that this "mystery" was previously hidden and now is revealed directly to Paul by the risen Jesus Christ, from heaven.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: If I'm not mistaken, the world will be "ruled with a rod of iron" by Jesus Messiah during the Millennial Kingdom.  This surely sounds like Gentiles will be under a rule of LAW to me.
And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations [Gentiles]: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. Rev 2:26-27
Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel. Psalm 2:8-9

Jewish Paul told the Colossians he was made a minister, not the only minister. Again Jewish Paul told the Colossians the mystery is now revealed to his saints. He never said saint meaning only himself.  

If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he [Jesus] [Holy Spirit] made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: Ephesians 3:2-6

Jewish Paul tells the Ephesians it was the spirit that revealed the mystery to him and too other apostles and prophets.

Yes, Paul is saying it was previously hidden. No, Paul said the Spirit revealed it to him, and that the Spirit revealed it the other apostles and prophets.  John 15:26-27 ¶ But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.