• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Just one more soul

• Members

My wife and I regularly sing in Church; And there is a song, that she has suggested that we sing called, “just one more soul”; But I have been against the idea, because I just didn’t like this song.  And this morning the Lord has shown me why “I don’t like it”: Because it is UnBiblical;  In several ways.

Here is a line from the first verse.... “The preachers are weary, the singers are tired”:
For one thing, if this is the case in your Church, than the preachers and singers, need to either find some other ministry to do(one God is calling them to), or they need to get saved.  Because doing things in the Spirit, will not be wearisome.

But the next line, just might be right.... “The Church as we know it, is losing its fire”
For sure, when members of a local Church are “laboring in the flesh”, they will lose God’s fire!

And the last line of the first verse, gives the wrong response to this problem.....
“But we must determine to keep pressing on”!
If your laboring in the flesh, “more labor” is not the answer!

Jesus said......
"Come unto me, all [ye] that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)
------------------------
Sure enough, there is some “work” involved, in staying close to the Lord; Such as Prayer and Bible study and Church attendance!  But, the fruit of this labor, is learning to follow the Lord’s instructions: And His instructions are not Burdensome!  They are fun!

• Members

Amen, brother Donald! Bible study is exciting to me... it's never a chore!  I'm so thankful and blessed to be able to read and study the Bible in this current age of grace and here in the US without physical persecution for it!  I don't know if the US will enjoy this freedom for much longer with the liberal administration in our government attempting to take those rights away. So it is a privilege I hold dear and appreciate greatly.  Many places in the world do not have that same freedom and privilege, just speaking the name of Jesus or owning a copy of the Bible can get people imprisoned, tortured, or killed in some places in the world. Yet, even under such extreme persecution, those people have chosen to follow Christ and not the world.... they would be greatly offended to know that some people here in the US consider prayer, Bible study, and church attendance "labor"!  

Staying in fellowship with the Lord is the answer for those who find it "boring"... put the Lord first and die to sinful fleshy vanity and worldly pursuits. Once we put the Lord first, He blesses us with the desire to want to know as much as we possibly can about Him and His word, and guides us with the Holy Spirit which indwells us. Nothing burdensome or wearisome about that! It's truly a blessing and not a burden.

• Members
9 hours ago, Ronda said:

Staying in fellowship with the Lord is the answer for those who find it "boring"... put the Lord first and die to sinful fleshy vanity and worldly pursuits. Once we put the Lord first, He blesses us with the desire to want to know as much as we possibly can about Him and His word, and guides us with the Holy Spirit which indwells us. Nothing burdensome or wearisome about that! It's truly a blessing and not a burden.

Excellent points here.

I will go to the base of it.

The tiredness has nothing to do with walking in the Spirit at all. Walking in the Spirit means exactly what you say, saturation in the Word and prayer. The tiny minority of people in our churches who actually do walk in the Spirit are the ones who work and you never hear them say they are tired. They work when noone is watching and never want any recognition from people in the church, especially from any pastors. As a matter of fact, they gringe from it. Their work is only for the Lord.

The tired ones are sadly the majority of laborers in the church. They get tired when the praise, recognition and appreciation of people in the church wanes. Oh they say with their mouths they are serving the Lord but in their hearts and their reactions, they eat up the praise of men. These are the suspect ones IMO and unfortunately make up a large portion any good IFB church. They have their reward. Sadly many pastors think they need to thank these people constantly which only encourages wood, hay and stubble.

People who want men's praise for good deeds should go join the moose lodge or the shriners.

Edited by wretched