• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jewish days and creation

• Members

Genesis 1:5 says " And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." It is interesting that God said the evening and the morning were the first day rather than the morning and the evening were the first day. It this somehow related to the Jewish system of days?

• Members

Yes.  The Jewish day starts at sunset and ends at the next sunset.  So the Jewish Sabbath would begin on sunset Friday and end at sunset on Saturday.  They also have 12 30 day months on their calander so the Jewish year is 360 days.  It is all based off of a lunar cycle.

• Members

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Just read that verse this a.m.   I guess us considering a day starting in the morning would fall under Gods thoughts not being our thoughts. Another thought is we say the sun rises but know it is the earth doing the moving.

Edited by 2ndTimothy
another thought

• Moderators
1 hour ago, 2ndTimothy said:

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Just read that verse this a.m.   I guess us considering a day starting in the morning would fall under Gods thoughts not being our thoughts. Another thought is we say the sun rises but know it is the earth doing the moving.

Funny you mention the movement of the earth; I have been dealing lately with a group that holds to a flat earth theory, that all pictures from space are faked, we never went to the moon, (who knows?), and so on.   It sems odd to me in a day when people not only fly around the earth on a regular basis, but have sailed around it, (as I have), and that all navigation is based on a round earth, so it wouldn't work on a flat earth, and they base it all on when the Lord said He would cause the sun to move back 10 degrees, and that He caused the sun to stay still in the sky during a battle. I admit that biblically, it is hard to argue, as, if this is ALL we had to work with, it seems clear. But, they can't even say how, if the earth is flat and everything moves around it, how that even happens. Why are there time zones? Why is it night time in Australia when it is day time here? How would seasons even work? They refuse to answer anything, just quote those verses and demand photographic evidence that 'isn't photoshopped."  Sad, really.

• Members

Watching a boat on the ocean should be sufficient for the one wanting to learn.

as it goes off into the horizon, it appears to be sinking into the ocean.  Of course, we know it is neither sinking, nor falling off some alleged edge of the end of the Earth.

likewise, as one is standing on a dock, awaiting the arrival of a ship, one may first see the smoke from the smokestacks, or perhaps the sail.  The ship seems to rise up out of the water, but, of course, it is not.  It is just getting closer to port.  It has come over the horizon.

The circle of the Earth will never be understood by agnostics and Bible doubters.  Yet, the fact that there is indeed a curve in the ocean proves that the Earth must be of circular shape.

• Moderators

Due to diminishing apparent size as distance increases, a ship would seem to sink into or rise from the sea even in an expansive sea on a flat plane Earth.

However, when placing a M.A.R.S. call from R.O.K. @ 3:00AM on Tues (boy, it's dark) in order to catch someone in the States @ 1:00PM on Mon (wow, the sun's bright) tells you that either EVERYONE both American continents are involved in the same massive conspiracy ----- OR --- the whole inhabited area of the planet CAN'T be on the same horizontal plane.

Not to mention the seasonal reverses between the northern and southern hemispheres (most noticeable in the temperate regions of such respective hemispheres.

• Members

I have been dealing lately with a group that holds to a flat earth theory, that all pictures from space are faked, we never went to the moon, (who knows?), and so on.   It sems odd to me in a day when people not only fly around the earth on a regular basis, but have sailed around it, (as I have), and that all navigation is based on a round earth, so it wouldn't work on a flat earth, and they base it all on when the Lord said He would cause the sun to move back 10 degrees, and that He caused the sun to stay still in the sky during a battle. I admit that biblically, it is hard to argue, as, if this is ALL we had to work with, it seems clear. But, they can't even say how, if the earth is flat and everything moves around it, how that even happens. Why are there time zones? Why is it night time in Australia when it is day time here? How would seasons even work? They refuse to answer anything, just quote those verses and demand photographic evidence that 'isn't photoshopped."  Sad, really.

Mike 

Here is an interesting "article" given to us years ago. It will confirm the unreasonable conclusions of some people when viewing facts.

" For years, it has been believed that the electric bulbs emitted light, but recent information has proven otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light, they suck dark. Thus we call these bulbs Dark Suckers. The dark sucker theory proves the existence of dark suckers; proves that dark has mass and is heavier than light. It also proves that dark is faster than light.

First , the basis of the Dark Sucker theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. For example, take the dark sucker in the room you are in. There is much less dark right next them than there is elsewhere. The larger the dark sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark suckers in a parking lot have a much greater capacity than the ones in this room. As will all things, dark suckers  don't last forever. Once they are full of dark they can no longer suck dark. This is proven by the black spot on a full dark sucker. A candle is a primitive dark sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after its first use the wick turns black , representing all the dark that has been sucked into it. If you put a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle it will turn black; because it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle. On disadvantage of these primitive dark suckers is their limited range. Also, there are portable dark suckers. In these the bulbs can't handle all of the dark by themselves and must be aided by a Dark Storage  unit.  When the storage unit is full, it must either be emptied or replaced before the portable dark sucker can operate again.

Dark has mass. When  dark goes into a dark sucker, friction from this mass generates heat. Thus it is wise not to touch an operating dark sucker. Candles represent a special  problem as the mass must travel into a solid wick instead of through clear glass. This generates a great amount of heat. There it is not wise to touch an operating candle. Also, dark is heavier than light. If you were to swim just below the surface of lake you would see a lot of light. If you were to slowly swim deeper and deeper you will notice it getting slowly darker and darker. When you got real deep you would be in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the lighter light floats to the top. That is why it's  called light.

Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were to stand in al lighted room in front of a closed , dark closet and slowly open the door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet. But since the dark is so fast, you will not be able to see the dark leave the closet.  

In conclusion, we have proven the Dark Sucker theory. Next time you see an electric bulb, remember , its a dark sucker." 

Bottom line................. people will believe what they want.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, LindaR said:

"a M.A.R.S. call from R.O.K. @ 3:00AM on Tues"?????

Sorry --- M.A.R.S. = Military Amateur Radio Station, R.O.K.= Republic of Korea (S. Korea).

We could connect to another M.A.R.S. station and they would do a phone patch to any landline (there were not any cell phones) and your long distance fee was only from the terminating MARS to the phone (if local call, no fee).

As an example:  Osan AB, ROK -- Cecil NAS, FL.  A phone call to Jacksonville was local, one to Lake City was long distance @ going Jax - L.C. rates.

You were limited to 5 minutes on followed by a minimum 5 off (generally longer off since you were now back of any existing line).

Contrast was an overseas phone call @ $5/minute at a time when chicken was 19 cents/ pound in the US.

• Members
2 hours ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

Sorry --- M.A.R.S. = Military Amateur Radio Station, R.O.K.= Republic of Korea (S. Korea).

We could connect to another M.A.R.S. station and they would do a phone patch to any landline (there were not any cell phones) and your long distance fee was only from the terminating MARS to the phone (if local call, no fee).

As an example:  Osan AB, ROK -- Cecil NAS, FL.  A phone call to Jacksonville was local, one to Lake City was long distance @ going Jax - L.C. rates.

You were limited to 5 minutes on followed by a minimum 5 off (generally longer off since you were now back of any existing line).

Contrast was an overseas phone call @ $5/minute at a time when chicken was 19 cents/ pound in the US.

During the Vietnam War the M.A.R.S station was the only way, besides mail, we could contact folks back home in the States; no cell phones, and  no Internet. There was always a long waiting list at M.A.R.S.

Edited by Alan
delete phrase

• Members

Reminds me of a TV report several decades ago of a group that said the sun is cold. If I remember correctly, it was led by a clergyman.  

I can remember my cousin saying at the time "The sun has come out, hasn't it gone cold?"

• 1 year later...
  • Members

(Ezek 36:17 KJV)  Son of man, when the house of Israel dwelt in their own land, they defiled it by their ..own way and by their doings: their way was before me as the uncleanness of a removed woman.

(Ezek 36:18 KJV) Wherefore I poured my fury upon them for the blood that they had shed upon the land, and for their idols wherewith they had polluted it.

(Ezek 36:22 KJV) Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.

(Ezek 36:24 KJV) For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.

(Ezek 36:31 KJV) Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall loathe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations.

(Ezek 36:32 KJV) Not for your sakes do I this, saith the Lord GOD, be it known unto you: be ashamed and confounded for your own ways, O house of Israel.

(Jer 24:9 KJV) And I will deliver them to be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth for their hurt, to be a reproach and a proverb, a taunt and a curse, in all places whither I shall drive them.

(Ezekiel 21:32)Thou shalt be for fuel to the fire; thy blood shall be in the midst of the land; thou shalt be no more remembered: for I the LORD have spoken it

Edited by jamesduncan

• Members
52 minutes ago, jamesduncan said:

(Ezek 36:17 KJV)  Son of man, when the house of Israel dwelt in their own land, they defiled it by their ..own way and by their doings: their way was before me as the uncleanness of a removed woman.

(Ezek 36:18 KJV) Wherefore I poured my fury upon them for the blood that they had shed upon the land, and for their idols wherewith they had polluted it.

(Ezek 36:22 KJV) Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.

(Ezek 36:24 KJV) For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.

(Ezek 36:31 KJV) Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall loathe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations.

(Ezek 36:32 KJV) Not for your sakes do I this, saith the Lord GOD, be it known unto you: be ashamed and confounded for your own ways, O house of Israel.

(Jer 24:9 KJV) And I will deliver them to be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth for their hurt, to be a reproach and a proverb, a taunt and a curse, in all places whither I shall drive them.

(Ezekiel 21:32)Thou shalt be for fuel to the fire; thy blood shall be in the midst of the land; thou shalt be no more remembered: for I the LORD have spoken it

Sir, I'm not sure why you're jumping around with those scriptures. I know what it appears like, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

I do hope that you realize that Ezekiel 21:32 is talking about the Ammonites.