• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My College UCC Roseburg, OR

• Members

Thank you for sharing this. I've been praying over this. I've noticed the news reports have been constantly changing throughout the day. Reporters are in too big a rush to report something new so they don't take time to check their sources or await confirmation.

Praise God you are safe and well.

• Members

Sorry about it taking so long to give you all an update from someone on the scene.  Most of this I believe is public knowledge even outside of our community but I am not sure what is getting sent out nationally.

First the grim details:

1.  Yes the shooter, who I refuse to mention his name, not only was a current student at UCC but was even enrolled in the class he murdered.

2.  There are multiple gofundme funds set up for the various victims both deceased and those still in hospitals (some still in critical condition).  At this point, if you wish to contribute to help this community, I recommend the general fund started by one of our state representatives and coordinated with our local United Way at https://www.gofundme.com/nm5g3hug.  Needless to say, there is well over $650,000 raised for the hero of the day Chris Mintz, so please try to help the many others killed or wounded by this madman and his "hate crime" against Christians.  (something the media refuses to say)

3.  Roseburg is a small logging community barely hanging on and trying to find a new identity after the near destruction of the logging industry by environmentalists. We are NOT what this guy did by any stretch of the imagination.  To give you an idea of our small town rural mindset, city ordinance requires that no building be taller than the trees around it, therefore our tallest skyscraper is 3 stories.

4.  Please pray for the school as well as the students.  Feedback so far from students indicate most will be unwilling to ever attend classes in Snyder Hall again, and certainly NOT the classroom where the murders happened.  That will be a major blow to our small community college who is still reeling from a 46% reduction in our state and federal funding.

On a separate note:  If you are involved in any learning institution ESPECIALLY Christian education, please have "shooter on campus" procedures and drills as soon as humanly possible!   Having gone through this as both a full time student and part time staff at UCC and on campus as this happened, I have plenty of recommendations for what worked well, and for what needs to be adjusted, so feel free to private message me here.  

Bro. Garry

• Members

Thanks Bro Garry for the update.

The news over here did make it quite plain that he asked people to say if they were Christians and then shot them seemingly targeting Christians.

They also said they thought he was British

Edited by Invicta

• Members

I've not heard a nationality of the killer mentioned but did read he's of mixed race and seems to have identified himself as black. It's been reported he was a supporter of the radical "black lives matter" movement which has called for the murder of police, whites and others. They also reported on his pro-Islamic, including radical Islamic views but never actually said if he was a Muslim or not.

• Members

He was born in England, but moved to California when very young.  There is more indication that his "spirituality" he described himself as is more "pagan or mysticism" than anything else.  He had books in his apartment from a horrible shop here in Roseburg called Mystic Earth; and since his final comment was that "he was looking forward to hell and that Satan was going to embrace him". Zero evidence that he was Muslim in any way.  He inexplicably handed a box to one of the survivors saying please make sure the police get this.  Not a peep about the contents of that box yet.  He was mixed race, and did recently have activity on a "black lives matter" website that encourages violence against "whites and police officers", but he had documentaries on Sandy Hook and Columbine in his apartment as well and lots of IRA sympathizer material.  A complicated individual it seems.

• Members

I knew a Jewish man, now with the lord, who became a Christian and was cut off by his family, like many others, I expect they held a funeral service or him.

Our church secretary's grandmother was a deaf and dumb girl living in Ireland.  At the age of 16, she was invited by a friend to gospel preaching, the friend offering to sign for her.  She went back home and said to her father, "I have been to gospel preaching and been converted."  Her father pointed to the door and said, "OUT"  She went and told her friend who found a Christian family to take her in, and cared for her till eventually she came to England and started a Christian deaf and dumb club."

Both of these people found the Christian family who cared for them.  Knowing their stories I can really understand your position and feel for you. God Bless you.

• Members

Please be in prayer for me concerning my deep hurt over the fact that not a single solitary member of my family has reached out to me in any way to see if I am among the dead or injured.  They all know without a doubt that I am a full time student and staff member at UCC.  I didn't really understand the depth of their distancing themselves from me and my God till now, and it is bothering me more than I expected.

praying.  there is no hurt like the betrayal of family.