• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Acts 13:48

• Members

is Acts 13:48 a proof text for predestination?

ABSO-TOOTLY young man :)

But it has zero bearing on us once saved down here on earth: Let's get out there and preach the Gospel to all we know and meet and then the Lord Himself shall sort them out. He only uses you and me to preach them the Gospel. There is no magical salvation fairy that waves a wand over His elect. Lets get busy...time is short

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The verse doesn't say when the ordaining was carried out but it's probably similar to John 3:20,21; Romans 2:7-10; and in the case of Cornelius in Acts 10 not as Calvin taught it since there was freewill involved.

The ordaining to believe unto eternal life took place sometime when they were carrying out good works. I dare to say you had some pre-gospel Gentiles (all Jewish proselytes-vs 43) who were followers of the law so God sealed their salvation by making sure they heard the gospel. So their good works is what got them ordained but it was the gospel that sealed the deal. They still had to come to the light of their own freewill, though.

Edited by Critical Mass

• 3 months later...
  • Members
On October 23, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Critical Mass said:

The verse doesn't say when the ordaining was carried out but it's probably similar to John 3:20,21; Romans 2:7-10; and in the case of Cornelius in Acts 10 not as Calvin taught it since there was freewill involved.

Can you show, according the the passage cited where "free-will" is talked about?

• 9 months later...
  • Members

A few things I have discovered about this subject:

#1 Neither Acts 13:48, nor any of the associated verses, says who ordained these Gentiles. 

#2 According to another use of the word "ordained", I have found in early English Literature, a person can become "ordained" to something of their own accord. See "The Parson's Tale" which is a section of "The Canterbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer.

#3. The Greek word tasso, translated as "ordained" in Acts 13:48, is the same word translated as "addicted" in 1 Corinthians 16:15.

So, what I think it means is that those Gentiles, though lost at the time, who already passionately desired eternal life(of their own freewill), readily believed on the Lord when they heard the Gospel.. There are also Gentiles today who, though they are lost, greatly desire and expect eternal life: Muslims, particularly "shaheeds"; suicide bombers.

Edited by heartstrings

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Not the way some think the word ordain means.

Here in Acts 13 the people heard the word and believed. They were 'trained' in the FACTS. 

That is the 'ordain' referred to here. "They were fully taught the facts" equals "ordained".

Even during the ordination process for a minister they are examined to make sure of what they believe.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members
On 12/8/2016 at 11:00 AM, heartstrings said:

#2 According to another use of the word "ordained", I have found in early English Literature, a person can become "ordained" to something of their own accord. See "The Parson's Tale" which is a section of "The Canterbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer.

Any clarity on what section of verse you refer here?

I have an Oxford edition written letter by letter the same as original copies that I love to peruse.

Please let me know here or p.m. me.

Thanks.

• Members

On 12/8/2016 at 11:00 AM, heartstrings said:

Never mind.  

X771 is the verse. 

And it doesn't say what you think Heartstrings.

Sorry.

(Edited)

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:43 AM, Genevanpreacher said:

Never mind.  

X771 is the verse. 

And it doesn't say what you think Heartstrings.

Sorry.

(Edited)

I'm afraid it does, bro. Surely you must realize that nobody "ordains"  "concupiscence" in a man, but himself? In view of this meaning of the word "ordained", the Gentiles in Acts 34 had arranged, ordered, established, their lives to "eternal life" of their own choice as well. So, basically the ones who did want to go to Heaven believed and any atheists present obviously would not. Likewise, today, people all over the world are counting on some type of afterlife however false or misdirected their concept may be. I have found definitions like "fixed", "appointed", "established", "arranged" "ordered" and "disposed". but I have not run across any definition of "ordained" as being "taught the facts".

." From Adam we took original sin;
"from him fleshly descended be we all, and engendered of vile
and corrupt matter;" and the penalty of Adam's transgression
dwelleth with us as to temptation, which penalty is called
concupiscence. "This concupiscence, when it is wrongfully
disposed or ordained in a man, it maketh him covet, by covetise
of flesh, fleshly sin by sight of his eyes, as to But earthly things, and
also covetise of highness by pride of heart."---Chaucer

Edited by heartstrings