Online Baptist Community

103-year-old Georgia woman banned from her church

John81

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

In most churches today it's all about the "youth". Those who are not youth, whether middle aged or elderly are encouraged to act like teens; often a rather worldly variety.

This cultures obsession with youth, fighting getting older every step of the way, trying to look, act and talk like the youth of today in order to fit in, has spilled over into the church and churches are running with it. I've even seen fundamentalist events advertised using "hip" youth centered images, wording and graphics.

If you happen to be 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 or older you are expected to either try to act like you are 16 or be the quiet old person sitting in the corner not bothering anyone or ruining the fun for the youth.

Sad, very sad. Worse yet, very unchristian.

To follow a Biblical model as close as I can understand; that 103 year old lady to should have been given the responsibility, and the honour of teaching all those women in that church's Sunday School class. But few want to obey the word of God anymore.

It is indeed sad how few want to obey the Word of God anymore. For many, they pick out a few pet things from the Word, live by those and feel good about it so they can ignorantly or willfully ignore the rest.

I'm thankful our pastor has paid attention to these things and taken a stand on the matter. He agrees it's important to reach the youth and the youth are (or will be) the future of the church. However, he believes most churches take this to extremes, as we've discussed above. It's important to reach the youth, but not at the expense of biblical truth and not at the expense of those others in the congregation who are older.

One area church receives all sorts of applause for their youth programs and how they allow the youth to basically take over the church for a certain number of Sundays each year. During those Sundays the youth take over everything except the actual preaching (what there is of it!) and also are allowed to change things to suit their whims during that time. The rest of the time the youth programs are filled with entertainment, fun, games, adventurous trips and more of the same, with maybe a bit of "Bible study" mixed in, mostly in the form of mentioning a verse or two and how that somehow relates to something they are doing.

They draw a large following of youth but our pastor says he won't go the "clowns and circus" route to draw the youth. As he says, the youth need Christ like all others and it's our job to present Christ to them and allow the Holy Ghost to draw them in.

Archived